Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Nest Protect app-enabled smoke detector will be returning to store shelves soon, the company said today, after being pulled off the market and recalled because of a potential safety issue last month.

nestprotect.png
The company, which was acquired by Google earlier this year for $3.2 billion, stopped selling the Nest Protect last month after laboratory testing determined that the Nest Wave feature could potentially malfunction. The Nest Wave allows users to silence false alarms by wave at the detector rather than requiring them to manually press a button, which could be inconvenient for those with high ceilings.

The company has stated that there were no cases of smoke detectors turning off in customer homes, but that it wanted to be extremely cautious with such an important consumer device.

Nest and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission have issued a "recall" to ensure that all affected Protects receive a software update to disable the feature. Purchased devices do not need to be returned to Nest and will continue to function normally, albeit with the Wave feature disabled.

Nest told The Guardian that the Nest Protect will be going "back on the market in a few weeks."

Article Link: Recalled 'Nest Protect' Smoke Detectors Returning to Store Shelves Soon

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Ah, finally something reignite the flames of my serial arsonry kick! :)

Last edited:

flatfoot99

Aug 4, 2010
I called tec support for an issue a couple weeks ago. Was told my issue was most likely due to using the more difficult system to program for, ios, and that everyone there uses android. I got a chuckle out of that one...

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009

Update: A Google spokesman provided a statement regarding the SEC filing:
“We are in contact with the SEC to clarify the language in this 2013 filing, which does not reflect Google’s product roadmap. Nest, which we acquired after this filing was made, does not have an ads-based model and has never had any such plans.”

We can, of course, always assume they might change their minds later.

J InTech82

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2013
I called tec support for an issue a couple weeks ago. Was told my issue was most likely due to using the more difficult system to program for, ios, and that everyone there uses android. I got a chuckle out of that one...

And how soon I wonder will they discontinue support for iOS.

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
And now with all new "Advertising broadcasts". First, you listen to a 30 second audio commercial, then it'll tell you how you're going to die. :)

praetorian909

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2004

Seriously? Sounds like they must be getting paid to tell you that ;)

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City

lol, right. iOS is actually the easier OS to program for. That is one reason why iOS apps tend to be released by companies first versus their Android counterparts.

Also, the Google ad jokes you people think are funny got real old long, long ago.

----------

And how soon I wonder will they discontinue support for iOS.
Why would they? Are you able to use Gmail on your iPhone? Google Maps? Google Drive? Waze? YouTube? :rolleyes:

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
You had one job, Smoke Detector...!

The more you complicate a simple thing, the easier it is to screw it up.

londondude

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2007
Feel I want a refund on the ones I have, could have just purchased a £15 one instead and done the same job.

macs4nw

macrumors 601

I wonder what Tony thinks of that….. :D

I'm still surprised how Nest's acquisition by Google happened so quickly and unexpectedly. You'd think with home automation being such a promising new area for explosive future growth, that Apple might have been seriously interested.

Did Google outbid Apple, or could it have 'slipped under Apple's radar'? Both of these scenarios seem unlikely.

Last edited:

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
I'm calling home automation a FAD! Building regs require smoke detectors are already built in so this and many other home automation products are redundant.

The problem is that anything automatic is usually not very helpful. Eg automatic car transmissions make driving less enjoyable but more convenient.

I fail to see anything not related to TV and media that should or could be automated or linked in that would be helpful to have.

Sure build in wifi to things as the tech gets cheaper, printers, weighing scales etc. but the whole idea of an automated home is a fad. Most people don't even have their radiators set right to give balanced heat around the home let alone allow it to be controlled by you coming home etc. most people will buy this stuff and never connect or use it anyway.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
The problem with overcomplicating stuff like smoke detectors with ******** like cloud features is that there are bound to be a few software bugs. And that could effect lives. So my smoke detectors remain to be the classic 'dumb' model, the one that simply beeps when smoke is detected.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
I'm calling home automation a FAD! Building regs require smoke detectors are already built in so this and many other home automation products are redundant.

The problem is that anything automatic is usually not very helpful. Eg automatic car transmissions make driving less enjoyable but more convenient.

I fail to see anything not related to TV and media that should or could be automated or linked in that would be helpful to have.

Sure build in wifi to things as the tech gets cheaper, printers, weighing scales etc. but the whole idea of an automated home is a fad. Most people don't even have their radiators set right to give balanced heat around the home let alone allow it to be controlled by you coming home etc. most people will buy this stuff and never connect or use it anyway.
Home automation is a nich market not a fad.
It has been around for a long time.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City

The Nest isn't targeted towards those folks, the same way sporty cars aren't geared toward certain members of the car buying public.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Their new slogan should be "It's like an Apple TV and Mac Mini had a baby on your ceiling."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.