Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

pixelmator.png
Pixelmator has updated its incredibly popular image editing software to version 3.2, including a completely redesigned repair tool, 16-bits per channel color support and a much-requested Lock Layers feature.

The new repair tool includes quick, standard and advanced modes that use retouching algorithms to remove imperfections or unwanted objects from images more efficiently. The Lock Layers feature lets users prevent any alterations to finished layers so they can't be changed accidentally, and the 16-bits per channel support, introduced in Pixelmator 3.1, now works on all Macs, not just the Mac Pro.
"Packed with incredible features, Pixelmator 3.2 Sandstone delivers the most empowering image editing experience Pixelmator fans have ever had," said Saulius Dailide of the Pixelmator Team. "Redeveloped from the ground up Repair Tool, 16-bits per channel support and Lock Layers feature make Pixelmator an excellent image editor that is just as fun and easy-to-use as it is powerful."
Pixelmator 3.2 is a free upgrade for existing users, while new users can download the app from the Mac App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Pixelmator Updated With Improved 16-Bit Color, Locking Layers and an All-New Repair Tool

CrickettGrrrl

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2012
B'more or Less
The 'convert selection to shape' was a complete surprise, have been playing with that a lot this morning. :D

Unfortunately it looks like we can't scroll the shapes palette yet, --was really hoping for that because my previous palette was jammed.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
Perfect timing! Just the other day, I was working with Pixelmator and wishing I could lock some of the layers. My wish has been granted!

I'm not missing Photoshop at all. :)

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
Definite substitute to Photoshop. Hate it to brake it to you though, the repair brush (while better than both 3.1 and Photoshop) is not as good as it was in the video.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
I always hear this is a good substitution for photoshop. What about Aperture/Lightroom? Is it a good replacement or better as a compliment? Does it work better with one or the other? (I'm looking into getting into photography and figure this would be a good place to start)

I see Pixelmator/Photoshop as more of a compliment to Aperture/Lightroom/ Pixelmator/PS are more of a photo editing app, Aperture/LR are more photo organizing. Aperture & LR have basic editing functionality, they don't come near PS/Pixelmator.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I always hear this is a good substitution for photoshop. What about Aperture/Lightroom? Is it a good replacement or better as a compliment? Does it work better with one or the other? (I'm looking into getting into photography and figure this would be a good place to start)

Aperture/Lightroom and PS/Pixelmator are different tools for different jobs. The former are photo management tools with adjustment capabilities; the latter are image manipulation tools. So they would be complement each other. As for which pairs work better together, realize that Apple hasn't significantly updated Aperture in a long time, though there are rumors an update is coming. I know several professional photographers who prefer Lightroom by a wide margin. And if you're going to pay Adobe for a Creative Cloud license, you might as well pair it with Photoshop to streamline your workflow.

EDIT: guzhogi beat me to it!

pietrociao

macrumors member
Jan 28, 2013
Amazing piece of software with regular great updates, and I've got it for 14.99
after checking out their free trial.

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
Locking layers. LOCKING LAYERS! YES!!! I'm literally screaming in ecstasy :D Don't care about the gimmicky repair tools, layer locking is what I really needed.

Converting selections into shapes may also be useful. Easy creation of vector shapes from scanned outlines perhaps? I'm going to check this out.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The new Pixelmator 3.2 is not showing up for me in the Mac App Store, yet.

... but if I go to the Pixelmator product page, the button says "Update".

Last edited:

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
For all the folks who say this isn't on par with Photoshop. For right now, they are right. But PS had how many decades headstart? However, within the next 3-5 years, with active development, Pixelmator will do probably 95% of what PS does for advanced graphics artists/designers. At some point, they could easily surpass PS. I've been using Pixelmator after I dumped PS and have never looked back. Of course, it hurt at first. I missed the pen tool, then Pixelmator got that. And slowly but surely they have been adding great features that PS users have come to expect for a long time.

For the general public, Pixelmator is all you will ever need in terms of a graphics/editing program. But for the advanced users, it's been taking steps to bring the into the fold as well.

This app easily could sell for $99, but I like how they are wanting to build a customer base by not going Adobe all over their customers and bleeding them dry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.