Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
Would there be any adverse effects caused by unchecking the 'Allow Nap' check box in the processor settings of my System Preferences?

will

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2002
Will Cheyney said:
Would there be any adverse effects caused by unchecking the 'Allow Nap' check box in the processor settings of my System Preferences?

With nap enabled the processor will throttle when not busy, reducing power consumption and heat. Why do you want to disable it? I don't think you'll experience any adverse effects, but your mac may run warmer and consume more power.

Will Cheyney

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 13, 2005
United Kingdom
I want to disable it to silence my G5.
I only ask because I have read somewhere that it could possibly be 'bad' for your computer and was wondering if there was any truth in this.

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
it'll probably shorten your CPU's life because of the heat and constant strain. I tried disabling it before and it does silence the chirping, but I got worried about it and turned it back on. now I run folding 24/7 and it also silences the chirp, again because of constant load, but at least a useful and positive one ;)

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
I have had NAP disabled since I got my G5 4 months ago and have had no problems whatsoever. I dared turn it back on to see what would happen, here are my findings.

With NAP enabled the fans idle at 550rpm in lowest cpu setting but they go up to 2000 rpm when you scroll in safari or do anything to use the processore.

With NAP disabled the fans idel at 1400rpm at highest cpu setting but they never go up or down from there.

I find that with nap disabled the 1400rpm is not very loud and I stop noticing it. With NAP enabled its quiet for like a few minutes then I hear the fans rev up and down up and down, its so annoying I turned it back off.

Advice? Turn it off. The G5 is not designed for power management. It is a hack to get it to lower usage but it doesn't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.