Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA
I've posted in this thread before. I now own a 128GB iPad Air and it exhibits exactly the same defects with regard to video playback in Apple's Videos app. Drives me crazy. I imagine we'll never see a fix for this until Apple adopts OLED display tech. Oh well!

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've posted in this thread before. I now own a 128GB iPad Air and it exhibits exactly the same defects with regard to video playback in Apple's Videos app. Drives me crazy. I imagine we'll never see a fix for this until Apple adopts OLED display tech. Oh well!

It's not exactly the same, but yes - the iPad Air does exhibit some fluctuations of contrast during movie playback. It's a shame. I experience it. :(

runormal

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2013
California
I have started noticing it too when watching iTunes videos on my Air - it can be very distracting when watching movies at night.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I have started noticing it too when watching iTunes videos on my Air - it can be very distracting when watching movies at night.

Yeah it's definitely a bit of a bummer. It's nowhere (and I mean NOWHERE) near as bad as the iPad 4's handling of video in iOS 6 (can't speak for iOS 7 with iPad 4 though...), but it's certainly there. At least Apple has tweaked it somewhat, though quite frankly I wish they'd left well enough alone from the very beginning... :(

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Hi everyone

This issue still persists on iOS 7.1.1 (iPad Air).

It's very noticeable on Mctube app, Yomvi (Spanish Netflix) Safari's videos full screen, and another video apps...

It's very annoying. The brightness oscillates when the scenes are darkness, and sometimes the colors seem "washed".

I have tested the same video in several iPads and this issue is common to all of them!

The only workaround is activate the "Assistive Touch Control", if you turn it to ON, the display issue disappears. So this is a software issue. It's incredible why Apple doesn't address this old issue...

Sorry for my english.

Last edited:

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
Anybody with another workaround?

I'm not going to go to a Apple Store to change my iPad for another one and the new one surely has the same issue...

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Anybody with another workaround?

I'm not going to go to a Apple Store to change my iPad for another one and the new one surely has the same issue...

There's nothing we can do about it. Apple did tweak the software from iPad 4 to iPad Air, but if you notice it, sorry. I know I do, but I just deal with it because it's not as bad as it once was.

Apple just don't seem interested in just stopping the faux contrast enhancer which does nothing but annoy the end user. It really feels like a solution looking for a problem.

Sorry. :(

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
I haven't noticed any "pumping" but occasionally even my iPhone 5s home screen is temporarily washed out immediately after quitting video playback.

curropb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2013
I haven't noticed any "pumping" but occasionally even my iPhone 5s home screen is temporarily washed out immediately after quitting video playback.

Yes. That is another issue (I think it's relevant with another one).

I can check the same issue with my iPad Air. If you watch a full screen video, when you close it, sometimes (depending on the video) the home screen is washed out for 3-4 seconds (approx). After of this time, the colours get normal...

You should check my workaround => turn on the Assistive Touch Control (Settings, General, Accesibility). The "washed screen" disappear.

So I am sure this is a software issue!!!

coco67

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
Mine is affected Still on ios 6.1.3 but doesn't happen when I use Vlc.

Could you try please ?? iPad 4

coco67

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2013
I foins a solution if you want to keep iOS 6.

Need two tweak. Forcestatusbar and cloaky.
The first one force the status bar on apps like Apple video and the second one can hide status bar icons.

Now it's fine.

jtan168

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2014
Ipad Air is very bad in watching movies with dark scenes...

Like for Example, I'm watching the Movie "Snitch" using Infuse, this movie involves alot of dark scenes, it's unwatchable during dark scenes on my ipad Air, I tried watching it in my iphone 6, same result, all black.

I tried my Galaxy Tab S 8.4LTE, change the display mode to basic, and boom, now I can see dark scenes alot better, not perfect but definitely better than the ipad air.

I tried the LG G3, I noticed so far this is the best mobile display I've tested that plays dark scenes very clearly, my only problem with the G3 is the contrast is bad resulting in bad color reproduction, but plays dark scenes very well...and videos are really sharp...

I hope that apple fix this issue in their future ipads...

Or is there a way to recalibrate the Ipad's display settings?

Last edited:

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
This happens on my iPad mini 2 also. It's very noticeable and annoying in Netflix app when watching movies in dark (as I typically do) when there are dark and bright scenes, or when subtitles (in anime) come up during dark scenes.

It also happens in YouTube app.

Such a shame.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
This happens on my iPad mini 2 also. It's very noticeable and annoying in Netflix app when watching movies in dark (as I typically do) when there are dark and bright scenes, or when subtitles (in anime) come up during dark scenes.

It also happens in YouTube app.

Such a shame.

Yep, it's a shame. Once you notice it it's hard to un-notice. Bizarrely, it also happens when watching soccer in the MLS Live app, too (on my iPad Air 2). Contrast gets blown out and then simmers down every now and then. Crazy how in 2015 we don't have flawless video playback on the latest Apple devices.

Reactions: shurcooL

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Ok I just replicated the issue on 5 iPads in the Apple Store. I returned my iPad 4 to the store. I'll upload a video shortly of the issue.

As far as I'm concerned this affects every iPad 4. Even the staff couldn't believe it.

I tried it on an iPad 2 here and could not replicate it.

I felt "gutted" when I first read this but then remembered that I am using an Air 2!:p

I love the old re-awakened threads!

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I felt "gutted" when I first read this but then remembered that I am using an Air 2!:p

Grave digging at its best.

Side note it's the price you pay for companies pushing the envelope

nathanjbrown

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2008
Santa Barbara, CA

Bad news...
It occurs on ALL iPads. Always has...and it seems that it always will. With that said, a relatively small population seems to actually notice. Consider yourself lucky if you don't. Unfortunately, it drives me crazy because I do most of my iPad video viewing in the dark on long flights (and, as the poster above mentioned, its most noticeable when viewing dark scenes with white subtitles/bright sections while sitting in dark environments). Really annoying.

Reactions: shurcooL

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Bad news...
It occurs on ALL iPads. Always has...and it seems that it always will. With that said, a relatively small population seems to actually notice. Consider yourself lucky if you don't. Unfortunately, it drives me crazy because I do most of my iPad video viewing in the dark on long flights (and, as the poster above mentioned, its most noticeable when viewing dark scenes with white subtitles/bright sections while sitting in dark environments). Really annoying.

I will likely never see this as I have owned every iPad but not watched a single movie! Much less a "dark scene"

Last edited:

JeffNT326

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
NYC
Now that iOS 9 is out, I tried looking for this issue on my iPad Air. Couldn't recreate the "bloom" that it used to do with iOS 8.

Can anyone else corroborate my findings?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Original poster
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Now that iOS 9 is out, I tried looking for this issue on my iPad Air. Couldn't recreate the "bloom" that it used to do with iOS 8.

Can anyone else corroborate my findings?

Not me. Watching movies on my iPad Air 2 in iOS 9 is still frustrating at times due to the fluctuating black levels.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.