Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The thing that I like best about apple laptops is that it can dual-boot windows in case I need to run some windows software.

The other downside of this, if released, is that every program available for mac will not run anymore and will have to be redesigned for ARM. That means no MS Office, etc.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
Why not a big iPad with attached (or detachable) keyboard?

Hmmmn, intriguing thought. iPad Pro, which is an iOS laptop….they'd sell a ton and if this were Samsung they'd have laptop, desktop and camera with this on it, but its Apple and they just test and test things and unless they are fabulous they don't see the light of day.

It'd be very interesting, but I doubt Apple would do it…of course Apple isn't afraid to cannibalize their own products when they want to. Add file handling and it'd be very interesting.

phoenix78

macrumors member
Nov 9, 2006
This would only work if its easy for developers to port their code to the arm based systems, and there was no performance degradation.

Nobody will pay apples prices to receive a weaker cpu, poorer performing software. Then we go back to the **** old days of ppc vs intel.

No thank you!

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
The same way you hoped the switch from PPC to Intel wasn't true?

PPC was an inferior platform, built by a small company and IBM. Intel is the undisputed market leader in chips.

Intel also sells an ~8 watt processor (Y class) that no one appears to be using. So that would fit just fine in a device like this.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
It's hard to imagine it on their "Pro" machines, but why not for the consumer line? ARM procs are perfectly good for average computing tasks. With a little further evolution so they can handle occasional heavy-lifting, it could be a new way forward, just like Intel was. Imagine 24 hr battery life, thinner devices, etc. Plus Apple gets to control their CPU pipeline and not rely on Intel. If they manage it right, could be a very smart move.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
PPC was an inferior platform, built by a small company and IBM. Intel is the undisputed market leader in chips.

Intel also sells an ~8 watt processor (Y class) that no one appears to be using. So that would fit just fine in a device like this.

Wouldn't exactly call Motorola a "small company."

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
The thing that I like best about apple laptops is that it can dual-boot windows in case I need to run some windows software.

The other downside of this, if released, is that every program available for mac will not run anymore and will have to be redesigned for ARM. That means no MS Office, etc.

If its ARM based it will be able to run IOS apps and yes there is office for iPad already.

All I can say Apple bring it on; this is something I would buy.

Who knows there may even be a windows RT boot option.

Last edited:

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
It's an understandable desire coming from Apple. They enjoy control in design and manufacturing, and waiting around for Intel probably doesn't make them happy.

However I'm really excited about the invigorated support for gaming on Mac (and Linux). The App Store and Steam are carrying popular titles with better ports every year. Windows gaming is also possible on an Intel Mac, but the ARM transition would interrupt all of this. Game players aren't their average consumer so I doubt it's much of a consideration, but it would still bum me out from this perspective.

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
Intel just xxxx their pants. Maybe they are going to go with AMD's future APU's that have built in ARM cores instead of going with their own AX custom socs since they might not be powerful enough to drive the upcoming 4k displays.

Last edited by a moderator:

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004
In 1997 Moto had $37B revenue. Intel had $75B revenue that year.

Intel's revenue that year was only $25B.

Numbers don't lie.

Apple switched to Intel in 2006-ish.

----------

Intel just xxxx their pants. Maybe they are going to go with AMD's future APU's that have built in ARM cores instead of going with their own AX custom socs since they might not be powerful enough to drive the upcoming 4k displays.

At this point, Apple has easily enough resources to design their own chips if they go the ARM route. No need to work with AMD if they can do it in-house.

Last edited by a moderator:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Apple switched to Intel in 2006-ish.

----------

At this point, Apple has easily enough resources to design their own chips if they go the ARM route. No need to work with AMD if they can do it in-house.

Fine. I used that date since that was when I started at Exponential. PowerPC was well underway by 1997.

In any event, in 2006:

IBM: $91B
Moto: $43B
Intel: $35B

Moto was still one of the biggest semiconductor companies, with revenues higher than Intel and a good percentage of IBM's. Calling Moto a small company in any relevant time frame is inaccurate.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
I came back to Apple after more than a decade of PCs specifically because of the adoption of Intel (x86) CPUs. If they switch architectures again, so will I.

It's cool, I only buy 5x the norm customer in hardware/software from Apple each year and refer in countless more customers consistently.

jont-fu

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2008
Didn't anyone else get interested in this: "a new keyboard that incorporates a large-format Magic Trackpad"..? I get the feeling that the separate trackpad area would be scrapped altogether, and the keyboard itself would be the trackpad area. That's actually a great idea for power users and ergonomics: you wouldn't need to move your hands away from the keyboard when using the trackpad. A bit like the red track-nub that used to be in Thinkpads.

I could imagine the new keyboard being more flush with the base and having an additional key for mouse button.

53kyle

macrumors 65816
Mar 27, 2012
Sebastopol, CA
How about a cheap macbook air, say 400-800 dollars, with a 7.9 to 9.7 inch touch screen and no keyboard or trackpad at all...oh wait...

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Oh boy. Let's fragment Macs along the lines of "these Macs can do Boot Camp, and these ones can't" and "These Macs can run Parallels/VMWare and these ones can't"

mentaluproar

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Ohio, USA
Oh boy. Let's fragment Macs along the lines of "these Macs can do Boot Camp, and these ones can't" and "These Macs can run Parallels/VMWare and these ones can't"

Everyone, calm your tits. Apple won't completely abandon x86. It's suicide. Instead, they will likely introduce an ARM product and name it something other than "mac"

richman555

macrumors 6502
Jan 23, 2010
Collegeville, PA
I think they could easily do this with a new revision of the Macbook Air or standard Macbook (nothing high end like a Macbook Pro). The larger question would be what OS would they run (OSX vs IOS).

chleuasme

macrumors 6502
Apr 17, 2012
I see ARM-based MacBooks facing some of the very same hurdles as Surface RT products. Mainly, what apps would run on one, besides Apple applications? Unless an emulator was provided, but that would be inefficient as hell in terms of battery consumption.
The critical point is it wouldn't run OS X, but likely iOS?
A funny thread on the topic: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=19105311#post19105311

Someone needing Bootcamp would know what to choose, someone having no clue what Bootcamp is wouldn't need it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.