Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheGreatWumpus

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
Vermont
Gameagent is selling them both at 50% off for GA members. (just means an account.) While I like MGS its hard to beat those current prices.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
London
COD: MW3 Multiplayer Gameplay

Another great win for Mac Gamers, Aspyr and Feral Interactive are doing a great job in bringing as many top titles across to Mac as they can!

I've just done a quick video showcasing Call of Duty: MW3 running on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro in OS X - feel free to check it out below!

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
Another great win for Mac Gamers, Aspyr and Feral Interactive are doing a great job in bringing as many top titles across to Mac as they can!

I've just done a quick video showcasing Call of Duty: MW3 running on my 15" Retina MacBook Pro in OS X - feel free to check it out below!

YouTube: video

Elmzeh,

Thanks for jumping on the grenade to save us all on this one. :) I was trying to decide whether or not to pick up MW3 ( as it's the more recent of the two). The graphics in your play through look dated. I'm wondering how you have them set? Is everything maxed out, or are you dialing some down for the sake of smooth gameplay?

Inquiring minds...:)

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
Elmzeh,

Thanks for jumping on the grenade to save us all on this one. :) I was trying to decide whether or not to pick up MW3 ( as it's the more recent of the two). The graphics in your play through look dated. I'm wondering how you have them set? Is everything maxed out, or are you dialing some down for the sake of smooth gameplay?

I don't know about his settings, but I played it fully maxed out. While it's not the most up to date looking game, I think it has aged well in some respects. Lightings , smoke, special effects, and character models are still decent. The gameplay and mechanics are still top notch as well.

Although the environment and textures are the parts that are severely lacking. The game mitigates it by being as fast paced as possible, although once you stand still, even for a second you'll notice it.
Even with the max AA available, (x4), there's some severe Aliasing at parts, and the game could do with some overall brighter colours. I know they went for the gritty brownish for a reason though.

Over all it handles and plays well, despite having visibly not aged well in some areas.

Elmzeh

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2013
London
Elmzeh,

Hey Bud!

I checked again tonight and ran the game with all of the settings at Max (Extra) and the game ran well and was playable however not as smooth as I would have liked.

I still managed to get through the matches with some decent kills but there were a few occasions where a few grenades or cars would blow up at once and it was get a slight bit of FPS lag but nothing too major.

Also, as Al mentioned - it is unfortunately a slightly older title in the series however when running at maxed settings it doesn't look too bad at all! :)

ReL1988

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
any reason to try to on mbpr 13 (late 2013)?

will it be any good? or poor low-everything ?

ReL1988

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2014
thanks,
i see iris5100 should be supported, but there is no info about what graphics-level i should expect.

low-everything? medium? high? max-out? :p

N19h7m4r3

macrumors 65816
Dec 15, 2012
thanks,
i see iris5100 should be supported, but there is no info about what graphics-level i should expect.

I'm actually very surprised by the requirements although Aspyr stated it's down to the Shader intensity of the game. Best bet is to play around with it I'd say, although considering the games age I think High is not off the table.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
thanks,

High is possible but you will need to play at a lower resolutions for that to happen. Even then, you will get some lag during single player. Remember, the SP campaign for both games is essentially a summer blockbuster movie with TONS of explosions and rendering happening on the screen at once. MP performance will be a little more forgiving.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
That's interesting. I actually saw it was available to download in my Steam account a few days ago while in OS X and I just thought it must have always been available.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
That's interesting. I actually saw it was available to download in my Steam account a few days ago while in OS X and I just thought it must have always been available.

I've noticed Modern Warfare 2 appearing under OSX for awhile, but I assumed it was another steam glitch. Plus I didn't see any announcement on steam or otherwise.

I don't like Call of Duty anymore, but I almost want to buy MW3 just to support Mac gaming.

Making it steam play vs having separate versions on steam like Black Ops is a nice touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.