Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

According to a new report from Digitimes, Foxconn will again be the primary manufacturer for the iPhone 6, supplying 70 percent of the expected shipments of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 model in 2015. Shipments could begin as soon as July for the 4.7-inch model, with the 5.5-inch following shortly afterwards.
The 4- and 4.7-inch iPhones will be the main sales force of Apple for 2014. Foxconn's plants in Zhengzhou, China are expected to start supplying the 4.7-inch model in July and start manufacturing the 5.5-inch one in August.
Besides Foxconn, Apple also may be turning to Pegatron and Wistron to supply iPhone handsets for its next product cycle. Pegatron is believed to be a secondary supplier for the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, while Wistron may step in to supply Apple with the existing 4-inch iPhone model. Wistron is a new production partner that Apple added last year to help produce the iPhone 5c.

iphone-6-front-back-800x536.jpg
Rumors on the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 model have suggested that it may arrive as a premium model in lower quantities with perhaps exclusive features such as a sapphire crystal display. A new report from Nomura Securities shared by G 4 Games suggests that the larger model is likely to carry a $100 price premium over the 4.7-inch model. Apple had previously been reported to be negotiating with carriers for a $100 price increase on the iPhone 6, but it would make more sense for that increase to arrive in the form of a higher-end model such as the rumored 5.5-inch iPhone.

Digitimes has a fairly spotty track record with regard to Apple rumors, but it does occasionally offer accurate insight when sourcing information from within Apple's supply chain. Digitimes' latest report is one of several recent communications that unsurprisingly suggest mass production of the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 will begin this summer in advance of a fall launch. Apple is expected to follow the 4.7-inch model with a larger 5.5-inch version that will debut in late 2014 or early 2015. Both models may ship with Apple's A8 processor, an improved camera, and iOS 8.

Article Link: Foxconn Starting 4.7" iPhone 6 Production in July, Pricier 5.5" Model to Follow in August

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
I hope this is true as it means we could indeed see the phone released in September versus October.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Ha, the rumor mill still peddling a 5.5" device. A month or two from now we'll get stories about how there are "supply constraints" for this device and then when it never happens they'll forget they ever predicted it.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
A8?

Has there been any good specifications leaks about the A8? Maybe the quad-core A7 was only a test and the A8 will have eight or sixteen cores? :p

Enable only four cores at a quarter of the maximum speed for the iPhones and iPads, use all eight/sixteen cores at full-speed on the ARM-based Macs?

Don't forget that the more Apple orders a single chip, the lower the cost will be. If they can manage to use the same CPU on all their systems, and be able to put multiple chips in the more powerful systems, then Apple is free to do what they want without being tied to anyone's timetable.

I'm hoping the lack of Mac mini news is because Apple is waiting on Intel for Broadwell chips.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
What makes the larger screen a higher end phone? Usually it's a smaller screen that makes a higher end phone, as you have to jam the electronics into a smaller space.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
This is a pointless article. This exact same one has come out 3-4 times from what I can recall.

Click fodder.

Probably very true. Except I couldn't name one ad I've seen on MacRumors. Unlike the numerous TV ads I could recall.

I'm still not convinced online banner ads are really that successful.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
So...looks like the 5.5 will be in short supply.
Fine by me, I just want to be able to pre-order all the models this time.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Digitimes has a fairly spotty track record with regard to Apple rumors, but it does occasionally offer accurate insight when sourcing information from within Apple's supply chain.

Or to put it more succinctly, even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

darkslide29

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2011
San Francisco, California
Too bad this is Digitimes, but this at least makes some sense!

I can see them still being released simultaneously, with the 5.5" in shorter supply for a while. The $100 markup for the larger size makes sense.

I think the iPad Mini with Retina vs iPad Air was the perfect trial for Apple to see how two devices with similar guts and specs, with just the screen size being the only difference (without nitpicking), and the $100 price difference, sell.
If this was a success for them on the iPad, why not try this pricing/spec model on the iPhone too?

benedictm

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
London, uk
Digitimes

Seriously, MacRumors - why do you post anything sourced from Digitimes?

They are not often right. As a source they are patchy at best.

Continually reprinting their 'information' is very damaging to the credibility of MacRumors I would say - if you want/need to run it why not put a caveat saying their record is not good at least?

(Old article about this: http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2012/05/24/how-accurate-is-digitimes/#.U4SpIF7VF4M)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.