Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of WWDC 2014, shipping estimates for Apple's iMac models have slipped to 3 to 5 business days, fueling speculation of a possible announcement of new iMac hardware next week. As noted by AppleInsider, dwindling inventory is also evident at authorized Apple resellers, with some retailers selling the latest iMac models with steep discounts.
As we have seen with Apple may be clearing out inventory Amazon is completely sold out of the base-line 21.5-inch and 27-inch models, relying on third-party resellers who only have a handful of units left in stock. MacMall is also down to its last units on the 2.9-gigahertz 21.5-inch model, and the 3.4-gigahertz 27-inch model.
While movement in product shipping estimates is historically a hit-or-miss indicator of imminent updates, the slip to 3-5 days over the weekend is not the only factor contributing to speculation of iMac updates. KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo has been predicting for some time that Apple will launch a "low-priced" version of the iMac, and his extensive product roadmap published last month showed the new iMac debuting at the end of the second quarter, which would be next month. Kuo argues that this new iMac with cost-efficient hardware to keep the base price low would offer Apple a way to increase its market share in Asia and other critical foreign markets.

Mac updates have generally been somewhat in flux as Intel has experienced delays with its next-generation Broadwell chips. While the company has been releasing interim "Haswell refresh" chips in recent months, these chips offer minimal improvements over their predecessors. Just last month, Apple released a minor MacBook Air update using one of these new chips, but more importantly reduced pricing by $100. The company could make a similar move with the iMac in the coming weeks.

Exact timing for iMac updates remains uncertain, as it is still a bit early for a launch based on historical update cycles. The iMac has also not played a role in recent WWDC product launches, perhaps due to its consumer focus compared to the professional/developer emphasis for the conference. Consequently, an iMac price drop with minor spec bumps could come in the weeks after WWDC, similar to the quiet MacBook Air update last month.

imac-shipping.png
Apple last refreshed the iMac in September 2013, following a major redesign in 2012. The current iMac model features Intel Haswell processors, faster PCI Express-based flash storage and 802.11ac Wi-Fi connectivity. Prices start at $1299 for the entry-level 21.5-inch iMac and climb to $1799 for the base 27-inch model.

Article Link: iMac Shipping Times Slip to 3 -5 Days, Fueling Rumors of 'Low-Priced' Model at WWDC

MartinAppleGuy

macrumors 68020
Sep 27, 2013
New cheaper iMac:

21.5" display, Dual Core i5, 4Gb of RAM, and Intel Iris GPU.

Starting from £999.

Still, not as bad as the eMac from 2013 with the i3!

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Introducing ARM-based iMacs: putting the sumer in Prosumer!

The preceding was a joke.

Last edited:

PatriotInvasion

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2010
Boston, MA
Expect a Haswell spec bump and a $100 drop in price on both low-end options...21.5-inch starting at $1,199 and 27-inch starting at $1,699 which were the starting price points of the previous generation prior to Late-2012.

I would expect Broadwell and a 4K/Retina option perhaps at WWDC 2015 next year. Just my hunch knowing Apple.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
Deja vu of the 5c anyone?

I doubt this is legit.

I'd love a bright blue plastic iMac... unfortunately I don't think Apple would ever make one of those... Definitely not the 5c or any other things in the past especially iMacs to give us that indication.

quagmire

macrumors 604
Apr 19, 2004
Haswell refresh with the 800M series GPU. Will be interesting to see if the iMac gets the 860M since that is a Maxwell GPU giving the mid-range iMac's the biggest boost in performance.

The 870M and 880M are still Kepler's, so I don't expect much of a boost on that front.

gadgetguy03

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2012
I'd love a bright blue plastic iMac... unfortunately I don't think Apple would ever make one of those... Definitely not the 5c or any other things in the past especially iMacs to give us that indication.

Right. I cast a heavy shadow of doubt over the belief we'll get a cheaper iMac. Obviously Apple doesn't care about developing cheaper products.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
It feels like forever since the last Apple announcement. Really looking forward to WWDC! Hopefully the keynote will be streamed to Apple TVs and Macs - something Apple seem to be rightfully doing more frequently with their events now.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I could have sworn Apple had a $999 iMac. They really need one at that price point, I think.

I'm planning on replacing my iMac within a year... It'll officially be listed as obsolete by Apple this September and I can't imagine it'll run OS X 10.10. So I'll either be buying after this update or the next update. Depends on how my financials are looking and how big the update is.

Or I may spring for another line of Mac... Either the Mac Pro or MacBook Pro. I'll have to think long and hard about this...

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Expect a Haswell spec bump and a $100 drop in price on both low-end options...21.5-inch starting at $1,199 and 27-inch starting at $1,699 which were the starting price points of the previous generation prior to Late-2012.

I would expect Broadwell and a 4K/Retina option perhaps at WWDC 2015 next year. Just my hunch knowing Apple.

Hmm, it would be really nice to see a Retina iMac some time soon. Maybe not 4K, but Retina resolution at least. Since having my rMBP, there's no way I could go back to having a lower resolution screen on my main machine. It's just way too valuable for editing photographs and reading on screen texts or even just viewing photographs. A Retina iMac is something which really should be introduced at some point in the, hopefully not so distant, future.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
I still don't see how a 1199$USD iMac could replace a 599$USD Mac mini. Let's say you're a new user and need a keyboard, mouse and monitor, the total for these three items is nowhere near 599$USD.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Introducing ARM-based iMacs: putting the sumer in Prosumer!

If they did have an ARM-based iMac at some point, you can bet it would be aimed squarely at the consumer market and definitely not the "Prosumer" or professional market. But I don't see it happening for the iMac anytime soon... an ARM-based Macbook makes sense as one of the primary advantages of ARM is low power consumption and a long battery life, as well as low price. No one cares about desktop power consumption (to a point).

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Just give me an updated TB Display!

All I want is a 27" TB display w/USB 3 and TB2!!! Please!

I don't even need 4k.. I like the 2k 2560/1440 just fine! Price wise it's in my ballpark.. Would drag on my video card anyway at 4k..

I've no interest in paying the 4k entry price... Next Gen the Thunderbolt Display me please! :D

Jambalaya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2013
UK
Maybe Amazon has deliberately run it's stock down as it is concerned there might be new hardware announced at WWDC and it wold be left with old/hard to sell stock ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.