Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
What's up guys

I need to unlock my gf's iPhone 5 (7.1.1) locked to SoftBank Japan. So far, the options available are Chronic IMEI unlock for $174 (way too expensive) and the R-SIM Gevey/Turbo Sim. I've seen so many models, prices and names on eBay and I'm now a bit confused. Apparently the R-SIM 9 should do it, but does anyone know which one to buy ? Are the cheap listings fake?

Thanks,

Fede

Last edited:

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Well, I'm doing my own research and I'll be posting my updates to help people like me. YouTube videos are confusing, Google doesn't help and the official website is crappy and translated from Chinese.

What I know so far:

Update #1
The R-SIM 9pro (about $10 ebay) was released when iOS 7.0.6 was the newest version.
iPhone 4S: it unlocks iOS 6 - iOS 7.1 (apparently iOS 7.1.1 too)
iPhone 5: it unlocks iOS 6 - iOS 7.1 (apparently iOS 7.1.1 too)
iPhone 5C/5S: iOS 7 - 7.0.6
It does not unlock Sprint iPhones

I understand the developers have released 2 more turbo sims, the R-SIM Mini and the R-SIM Air 2.

If I'm not wrong, the R-SIM Mini adds support for newer versions of iOS (iPhone 5C/5S) and the R-SIM Air 2 now unlocks Sprint iPhones.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Update #2

Okay so I emailed one of the admins of the official forum and I was told that the R-Sim 9pro was not the best option for 7.1.1. He wasn't clear (I'm pretty sure english is not his first language), but apparently it is compatible. Just unstable.

Anyways, he recommended me the "R-SIM Mini2". He said that it is stable and fully compatible with 7.1.1.

Just bought one, will update when I get it.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Update #3

I see this thread has more than 650+ views, so I'll keep updating it.

Got my R-SIM Mini 2 last week and it didn't work. I do get signal, but after a few seconds the iPhone restarts and goes straight to the Activation Screen (which says your SIM is not valid, insert your carrier's sim etc etc).

The eBay seller was very kind and refunded my money. (dg-malls is his eBay account, in case you wanna give it a try).

I'll be trying with the R-SIM Air 2, and the cheapest US seller I found is asking $29.99!

Will report later!

fede

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
Update #3

Got my R-SIM Mini 2 last week and it didn't work. I do get signal, but after a few seconds the iPhone restarts and goes straight to the Activation Screen (which says your SIM is not valid, insert your carrier's sim etc etc).

The eBay seller was very kind and refunded my money. (dg-malls is his eBay account, in case you wanna give it a try).

I'll be trying with the R-SIM Air 2, and the cheapest US seller I found is asking $29.99!

Will report later!

fede

I have sold over 300 R Sims personally and wouldn't recommend the 9 Pro in your situation, I would recommend the newest version, the "9 Gold" It comes in a green plastic case

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I have sold over 300 R Sims personally and wouldn't recommend the 9 Pro in your situation, I would recommend the newest version, the "9 Gold" It comes in a green plastic case

Will that work for a Japanese iPhone 5 locked to SoftBank and running 7.1.1?

Is it different to the R-Sim Air 2? I thought the "Air 2" was the newest. I just got it for $29.99, and should be arriving soon.

How much is your 9 Gold?

Thank you

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Update #3

Will report later!

fede

Just wanted to say that i have a 5s locked to softbank also and its unlocked using rsim mini 2 BUT i had to play a little to get it working and it have problems :eek: incoming calls and notifications dont show when the phone is in standby.

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
Is the softbank iphone 5 compatible with LTE in any network in the U.S? You could IMEI unlock it and sell it? Nothing will ever compare to a fully IMEI unlocked one, although i completely agree that orice is bad

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
Perhaps times have changed, but unlocking an iPhone on Softbank is next to impossible- even more so it if is a 10 or 32GB model.

From experience, having spent a lot of effort in my attempts to have this done, approximately a year or so ago.

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
Will that work for a Japanese iPhone 5 locked to SoftBank and running 7.1.1?

Is it different to the R-Sim Air 2? I thought the "Air 2" was the newest. I just got it for $29.99, and should be arriving soon.

How much is your 9 Gold?

Thank you

Sorry I didn't see my quote notification, I sell mine for 17 dollars shipped. BTW lmk if you get it working with the mini, I like to see what is working for people

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Just wanted to say that i have a 5s locked to softbank also and its unlocked using rsim mini 2 BUT i had to play a little to get it working and it have problems :eek: incoming calls and notifications dont show when the phone is in standby.

Really? It's been impossible for me. 5 Seconds after I insert the R-Sim, the activation screen appears and locks it.

Is the softbank iphone 5 compatible with LTE in any network in the U.S? You could IMEI unlock it and sell it? Nothing will ever compare to a fully IMEI unlocked one, although i completely agree that orice is bad

I know, but it's too much money and I don't think they'll refund me if it doesn't work.

Perhaps times have changed, but unlocking an iPhone on Softbank is next to impossible- even more so it if is a 10 or 32GB model.

From experience, having spent a lot of effort in my attempts to have this done, approximately a year or so ago.

It's a 32GB iPhone 5 LOL
Yeah.. What's wrong with them? My girlfriend paid about $300 to cancel the contract...

Sorry I didn't see my quote notification, I sell mine for 17 dollars shipped. BTW lmk if you get it working with the mini, I like to see what is working for people

It didn't work. My second (first one was apparently faulty) R-Sim Air 2 will be arriving tomorrow. Will let you guys know.

If I get yours and it doesn't work, will you refund my money? Do you sell on eBay?

Last edited:

BeeJee

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2011
Long Island/North Jersey
Really? It's been impossible for me. 5 Seconds after I insert the R-Sim, the activation screen appears and locks it.

I know, but it's too much money and I don't think they'll refund me if it doesn't work.

It's a 32GB iPhone 5 LOL
Yeah.. What's wrong with them? My girlfriend paid about $300 to cancel the contract...

It didn't work. My second (first one was apparently faulty) R-Sim Air 2 will be arriving tomorrow. Will let you guys know.

If I get yours and it doesn't work, will you refund my money? Do you sell on eBay?

Yes, and yes. I would prefer skipping eBay, I can pm you my feedback page.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM

If you still have the mini i want you to try this first, when you insert the sim with the mini do you get menu to select softbank carrier if yes once you select you should the signal bars like 2-3 circles and after that pop out the sim tray or force restart of the phone (power+home and release when apple logo on screen) you should see now your carrier name next to the signals but unless you have full bar or more than pop the sim out again and put it back in, trust it might take couple of try.

Check also that cellular data is off.

Today i placed my order to imei unlock with chronic, big waiting time but i got the phone so cheap that i will still make a profit if they get it unlock.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
If you still have the mini i want you to try this first, when you insert the sim with the mini do you get menu to select softbank carrier if yes once you select you should the signal bars like 2-3 circles and after that pop out the sim tray or force restart of the phone (power+home and release when apple logo on screen) you should see now your carrier name next to the signals but unless you have full bar or more than pop the sim out again and put it back in, trust it might take couple of try.

Check also that cellular data is off.

Today i placed my order to imei unlock with chronic, big waiting time but i got the phone so cheap that i will still make a profit if they get it unlock.

I tried, but I don't get that far. It says "searching" for 3-4 seconds and then straight to the activation screen.

Just curious, what model is it and how much did you pay for it?

Please let me know if the IMEI unlock works for you. Do they refund if it doesn't?

Fede

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I tried, but I don't get that far. It says "searching" for 3-4 seconds and then straight to the activation screen.

Just curious, what model is it and how much did you pay for it?

Please let me know if the IMEI unlock works for you. Do they refund if it doesn't?

Fede

Yes i also got the constant searching, my advise is use a different sim that way you will get the menu prompt again, select and after that put your sim and you should get the menu to select softbank, restart phone and hopefully you should get what they call the "fake" signals lol take the sim tray out and put it back in.

Honestly it took me several times.

My iphone is a 64GB 5s, i paid 300usd for it brand new thats why i didnt care i had to pay 160 for the unlock.

About refund im sure that they will honor if they cant process the unlock, on the website they show softbank unlock as "backlog" and estimated 15-25 days to complete (why that long who knows) if by that time its not unlocked i will def. request a refund.

Of course will update :)

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico

It's a 32GB iPhone 5 LOL

they do make refunds I purchased an unlock for a new added carrier for mexico and it worked

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
I was thinking on getting the "Gold" rsim until the phone is unlocked but cant get any information if it solves the incoming calls problem while in standby.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
alright!

Update #4

Got my second R-Sim Air 2 and I'm still experiencing the same problem! I don't know if it's because my iPhone is locked to the ******* japanese softbank or what, but I'm tired. NO SIM, NO SIM and NO SIM CARD INSTALLED. After 10 minutes like that, the carrier selection menu finally popped but didn't do anything at all. The phone is stuck "Searching..."

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
alright!

Update #4

Got my second R-Sim Air 2 and I'm still experiencing the same problem! I don't know if it's because my iPhone is locked to the ******* japanese softbank or what, but I'm tired. NO SIM, NO SIM and NO SIM CARD INSTALLED. After 10 minutes like that, the carrier selection menu finally popped but didn't do anything at all. The phone is stuck "Searching..."

I dont know about the Air 2 (im using the mini 2) when you get the carrier menu and select softbank you only get searching and no fake signals ? try a restart with power + home.

If you still have your mini 2 try the steps i posted several times lol im not joking it took like 1hr of doing that to get it working; it was on ios 7.1.1 and right now i uodated to ios8 and it seems to continue working.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
I dont know about the Air 2 (im using the mini 2) when you get the carrier menu and select softbank you only get searching and no fake signals ? try a restart with power + home.

If you still have your mini 2 try the steps i posted several times lol im not joking it took like 1hr of doing that to get it working; it was on ios 7.1.1 and right now i uodated to ios8 and it seems to continue working.

Lol i tried like 3 times but i never get 'fake' signal with the mini 2, it goes directly to the activation screen (and then says sim not valid)
I think I'll try with the 9 Gold

Thank you

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Lol i tried like 3 times but i never get 'fake' signal with the mini 2, it goes directly to the activation screen (and then says sim not valid)
I think I'll try with the 9 Gold

Thank you

Maybe the guy that sell the interposer can tell us if its true but i saw on other forum that this turbo sim dont support all sim cards, it seems you can get 64k , 128k etc sim cards and sometimes you need a specific one.

Well that sucks that you cant at least use the damm phone, are you on ios 7.1.1 ?

Well just to let you know you dont do the whole activation process, when you get the fake signals after you select softbank in the carrier menu it should tell you to restart, press home and power and should be activated, in my case it didnt so i spent about 1hr lol with taking the sim tray out and back in until i got stable and it just went to the homescreen.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Maybe the guy that sell the interposer can tell us if its true but i saw on other forum that this turbo sim dont support all sim cards, it seems you can get 64k , 128k etc sim cards and sometimes you need a specific one.

Well that sucks that you cant at least use the damm phone, are you on ios 7.1.1 ?

Well just to let you know you dont do the whole activation process, when you get the fake signals after you select softbank in the carrier menu it should tell you to restart, press home and power and should be activated, in my case it didnt so i spent about 1hr lol with taking the sim tray out and back in until i got stable and it just went to the homescreen.

news from Chronic?

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
news from Chronic?

Nope, nothing but they did stated on the site that service for softbank is "back logged"

I got a rsim9 gold and using it on ios8 in the mean time, same issues with incoming calls plus no data lol :)

Don't worry mate I will update on whatever the outcome is with chronic.

fedecape

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2011
Miami, FL
Nope, nothing but they did stated on the site that service for softbank is "back logged"

I got a rsim9 gold and using it on ios8 in the mean time, same issues with incoming calls plus no data lol :)

Don't worry mate I will update on whatever the outcome is with chronic.

Lucky you! I got one too, but it doesn't work. I'm on 7.1.1

I select JP Softbank, restart and then I get 0 and then 1 bar of signal for like 5 seconds. Then no service..

My phone must be coursed or something

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Lucky you! I got one too, but it doesn't work. I'm on 7.1.1

I select JP Softbank, restart and then I get 0 and then 1 bar of signal for like 5 seconds. Then no service..

My phone must be coursed or something

Yeah I get the same, what I do is either pop the sim tray and back in or force restart lol then I get the stable signal.

It's a real pain in the ass, you should request a refund either way because this rsim stuff are crap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.