Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

samuraix98

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Hello, I've been across the net searching and even testing a couple products but nothings done what I expect of if, I'm stumped...

I am a designer for a health care company in Atlanta, GA. I have a few questions about what sorts of QR code software is available out there? At this point I'd take software even avialabe on a Microsoft based machines as I'm sure I'll be able to use one if we find the correct software that suits our needs.

We're in need of QR code software that has the ability to import a contact list from an excel spreadsheet, one thats been set up to be compatible with a mecard output style. Possibly even outlook would work. Really anything where it has a large amount of already set piece of information and can spit out separate QR codes per each specified item. Preferably also with the ability to save the codes in PDF or EPS formats that are vector based.

We have a large campaign and need over 500 different contacts to each have their own specialized QR code with their special contact information (mecard) embedded within these codes, then have the ability to export it and place it on each individuals collateral.

If anyone knows of any software that would would able to accomplish these tasks I would truly appreciate the information. Price truly isn't a factor as if it's a fully realized piece of software we would be able to purchase the license.

Any help/info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Enjoy.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
You have a variety of options to generate QR codes on the Mac. At least one of these solutions is a free Safari extension. You may find lists of most of these solutions here and there.

MDARFUS

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2007
Michigan
QR Code creation

Contact your local commercial printing company or mailing house. If they have digital press equipment, they will probably be into variable data printing. They can probably prepare the QR codes and supply you back the PDFs of EPSs that your looking for, at a minimal cost, using variable data software like FusionPro VDP Creator (http://www.pti.com)... or you could try it yourself.

FusionPro would be overkill for your needs, but it could definitely do what you want done. There is probably a simpler software solution that could be used, but I use FusionPro, so that's how I'd do it.

Toppa G's

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2003
The exurbs, MN
Contact your local commercial printing company or mailing house. If they have digital press equipment, they will probably be into variable data printing. They can probably prepare the QR codes and supply you back the PDFs of EPSs that your looking for, at a minimal cost, using variable data software like FusionPro VDP Creator (http://www.pti.com)... or you could try it yourself.

FusionPro would be overkill for your needs, but it could definitely do what you want done. There is probably a simpler software solution that could be used, but I use FusionPro, so that's how I'd do it.

We use FusionPro as well and that's what I was thinking.

However, i did find this site that seems to do what you're looking for, 100 codes at a time...except it might not do mecards.

beverlylarsen

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2013
This worked well. I also found that QRReader on my iPhone can create QR codes. Would be a pain to create a bunch.

What app is that? I haven't used any like that, capable of generating and reading QR codes both. It'll be much appreciated if you share. Thanks in advance.

superscape

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
East Riding of Yorkshire, UK
Hi,

A QR code? Really? Is it 2004 again? ;-)

There are plenty of apps on the Mac App Store (my solution below is *not* one of them). Personally I think they're faddy and there's usually a better solution to whatever problem their usage is trying to solve, but that's just my opinion.

Go hunt around on the app store, there's plenty for you there.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.