Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DeezelP

macrumors member
Original poster
May 26, 2014
Hi guys

I currently have a 3gs which has been fine until recently; it feel it is close to becoming obsolete.

Im going to buy a new Iphne but firstly Id like some advice. Ive heard the Iphone 6 is coming perhaps September. When it does, obviously I could choose this but also the 5s, Im guessing will come down in price.

Do you think I should wait or should I just go for the 5s? Does the 5s have bad reports at all?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I currently have a 3gs which has been fine

Sorry why? His 5s will still work fine.
He states he has a 3Gs not a 5S.

OP, if you the phone is working just becoming obsolete then I'd gut it out and wait for the 6. You're at the end of the life cycle of the 5S, I'd not spend any money on it or worse lock yourself into a 2 year contract.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The new i6 might look terrible, it might have a protruding camera, and it might be too big for you. You may very well prefer the 5S, but I would wait until we've seen the i6 before making your mind up. At worst, 5S prices will come down a little.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
The new i6 might look terrible, it might have a protruding camera, and it might be too big for you. You may very well prefer the 5S, but I would wait until we've seen the i6 before making your mind up. At worst, 5S prices will come down a little.

I have a feeling that Apple will STILL offer a 5S size upgraded phone when the 6 comes out. They are great at marketing and do not want to dis too many of their users.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have a feeling that Apple will STILL offer a 5S size upgraded phone when the 6 comes out. They are great at marketing and do not want to dis too many of their users.

I'm not so sure. It wouldn't be cost effective. I mean, how many smaller ones should they make? It's only a minority who want the smaller screens, and the vast majority of those would begrudgingly go bigger anyway.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin

Probably not. Since Apple will also introduce a 5.5'' alongside the 4.7'' iPhone 6 and keep in mind we heard nothing about a new 4'' iPhone.
They will kill the 4s and the 5c will take it's place. The 5s will become the mid tier phone and with it's A7 chip, it will be good for a long time.

AlexJaye

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Texas
Wait. I have an iPhone 5 with a screen I broke that I've been using until the new iPhone 6 comes out. If I can deal, you can, haha.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Get the 5S. The 6 will be littered with production issues, low quality control, etc. 5S is the clear choice.

briannaharbor

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
Get the 5S. The 6 will be littered with production issues, low quality control, etc. 5S is the clear choice.

5s. The non-s things are usually the first production line. When they get the feedback, they make changes, add a few blings, and then release the s.

If you can wait for 6s, do it.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Probably not. Since Apple will also introduce a 5.5'' alongside the 4.7'' iPhone 6 and keep in mind we heard nothing about a new 4'' iPhone.
They will kill the 4s and the 5c will take it's place. The 5s will become the mid tier phone and with it's A7 chip, it will be good for a long time.

I would be willing to bet that Apple will still carry a 5S for people who prefer it and have smaller hands!:p

ano0oj

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
should be a bit sooner than September. Also you'll hate yourself for not waiting because in 2 years, another brand new iPhone will be announced around the same time and you'll have to wait a few months for that one too

briannaharbor

macrumors member
May 22, 2014
should be a bit sooner than September. Also you'll hate yourself for not waiting because in 2 years, another brand new iPhone will be announced around the same time and you'll have to wait a few months for that one too

It is an endless cycle of self-hatred.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
He states he has a 3Gs not a 5S.

OP, if you the phone is working just becoming obsolete then I'd gut it out and wait for the 6. You're at the end of the life cycle of the 5S, I'd not spend any money on it or worse lock yourself into a 2 year contract.

I don't think this is true at all. The 5S will still be a powerhouse for a few years. There isn't an app out there that uses the A7 to its potential.

OP - I think it comes down to this. If you like the 4" display, go ahead and buy a 5S. If you want a larger display, wait. The only "regret" you might have if you buy the 5S now is that you could likely get it cheaper after the 6 is released.

----------

I think this as well - the 5S will continue to be a great smartphone. For those who like the 4" display, it will still be a great option a few months from now.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I don't think this is true at all. The 5S will still be a powerhouse for a few years. There isn't an app out there that uses the A7 to its potential..

With a paltry 1GB of RAM the 5S isn't even a 'powerhouse' now, let alone "for a few years" to come. Sure the processor is fine, but the handset is crippled by the RAM circa *now*.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
With a paltry 1GB of RAM the 5S isn't even a 'powerhouse' now, let alone "for a few years" to come. Sure the processor is fine, but the handset is crippled by the RAM circa *now*.
While the RAM might be limiting, it's really not crippling (at least not so far).

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
While the RAM might be limiting, it's really not crippling (at least not so far).

I find the 1GB in my i5 pretty crippling, what with all the webpage reloads. I dread to think how taxing iOS8 will be on the 5S...
The 5S is a great phone but the tiny amount of RAM will severely limit its longevity.

----------

:rolleyes:

"Crippled"....."paltry"......

"Melodramatic".

Not so. The RAM is limiting *now*, and was the day the 5S was released, so it doesn't bode well for longterm ownership IMO. If there is one thing worth getting the iPhone 6 for, it's the (hopefully and SURELY) increased RAM it will bring. Never mind screen size or anything else, 2GB of RAM is an absolute necessity.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
Does your 3GS work?
Does it function OK for you to use it a few more months?

Last year my wife turned in her 3GS for the iPhone 5 (in June) for a nice discount.
I held onto my iPhone 4 for a few more months and got the 5S from work. I loved it...then work took away business cell phones, so I am back on the iPhone 4.

My iPhone 4 has a home button that rarely works. I know I CAN upgrade to the 5S and be very happy this summer. BUT I also know that if I can just wait a little more I can have a new phone that will last "another year" or so loner than the 5S.

The 5S is a GREAT device. has some awesome things that will be great to have in your new phone.

and really it is about 4 months until iPhones have generally been released around the 20th of September. and you'd have to hope to get the phone in the first few days, otherwise it will be even longer...UNLESS they release the phone earlier.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
I find the 1GB in my i5 pretty crippling, what with all the webpage reloads. I dread to think how taxing iOS8 will be on the 5S...
The 5S is a great phone but the tiny amount of RAM will severely limit its longevity.

I have 5 tabs open in Safari: Google Search, Apple.com, UTD Blackboard eLearning, Engadget and MacRumors.

I've switched back and forth, scrolling on all 5 of them - no reloads.

I just backed out of Safari, open ESPN Scorecenter - took a look around there, then through the multitasking tray went back to Safari and bounced back and forth between the websites - again, no reloading.

"Crippling"? Please.....

----------

Just checked the 10-day forecast on the Yahoo Weather app - went into Scorecenter to look up tennis match results. Back into Safari to bounce between tabs.....

Say it with me - "no reloads".

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I have 5 tabs open in Safari: Google Search, Apple.com, UTD Blackboard eLearning, Engadget and MacRumors.

I've switched back and forth, scrolling on all 5 of them - no reloads.

I just backed out of Safari, open ESPN Scorecenter - took a look around there, then through the multitasking tray went back to Safari and bounced back and forth between the websites - again, no reloading.

"Crippling"? Please.....

It happens to me all the time and has been moaned about on these boards constantly (by other folk). Reloads, reloads, reloads. Nothing to do with my installation, it's relatively fresh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.