Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ultrafiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2002
So I got this idea from a friend, but I have expanded on it. I recently set out to get all the older Mac OS discs with the intent to frame them and display. Today I finished collecting them, but I could use some ideas on how to mount and display them properly. I don't want to ruin the discs with glue or anything of that sort, but my intent is to mount them like I have in my layout (I scanned the discs for the layout). I'll probably put it on a board or matte with black velvet, but I haven't figured out a good way to mount the discs so that I could remove them if needed, but still be securely fastened. I thought about using parts of CD cases to attach at the center hole, but haven't looked much into it yet.

Has anyone done something similar, and has some tips on how to do this?

Also, I researched as best as I could on what retail OS discs were out there, and this is what I came up with. There is a Mac OS X Public Beta disc that I would like, but I've only seen one for sell on eBay and the price is too high (the person listing it repeatedly puts it up for auction because it never sells—it has been relisted at least 10 times already). If anyone has that disc for sell, let me know, I'd be interested in working something out. There is also an 8.6 CD that has a pattern in the green that I would look for if I needed to balance out a Public Beta disc on the bottom row. I've tried to steer clear of small release differences, unless the disc design changed (exception is 10.0 and 10.1). I couldn't find any information on if there is an earlier OS retail release on CD before 7.5. If there were then that would be something else to look for, although I have not seen any trace of that. Every disc before 7.5 I've seen is for a specific computer(s).

Thanks for looking, and any suggestions you may have.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
How about two thin sheets of perspex (like a sandwich) with four holes drilled in the corners..Use stainless steel mirror screws for an attractive finish, add a picture hanger in the centre and hang the whole thing up like a picture. You could edge it with an alloy or SS band all the way around too.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Pretty sure I still have my Public Beta buried away somewhere. Maybe I should put it on eBay ;)

I have the Starcraft beta CD from 1997 too somewhere!

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
How about two thin sheets of perspex (like a sandwich) with four holes drilled in the corners..Use stainless steel mirror screws for an attractive finish, add a picture hanger in the centre and hang the whole thing up like a picture. You could edge it with an alloy or SS band all the way around too.

I like this idea. You could also cut out small round areas of translucent foam and stick them in the CD holes so the perspex sandwich doesn't touch the surface of the CDs themselves.

Nice project, BTW!

ultrafiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2002
Thanks for the idea about perspex, I'll have to look into that. I'm sure I'll post again when I finish this, but it may take a while to do.

Diamond Dave

macrumors member
Nov 25, 2008
Edinburgh, Scotland, UK.
I have the 8.6 Update CD & would be interested in selling it. The design is the same as the 8.5 CD except that the solid green background is now a texture/pattern in the same shade of green.

It's in mint condition except that there's residue from a name & address sticker that was at one time on the disc. I used to put a name & address sticker on every disc that I took to work back in those days.

The residue is at the very bottom centre of the printed side, about an inch across by about half an inch tall.

It would probably come off with the correct type of solvent - something that would dissolve the adhesive without affecting the CD itself.

If it's of any interest let me know.

Fralle

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
South part of North
You should also protect the discs from light! Sunlight ruins the discs in a year or two! The plastic in the discs gets yellow and deteriorate quickly if exposed to ordinary sunlight! ;)

To mount them, find a thick black cardboard in the right size. Cut holes matching the discs. Insert the discs and put it in the middle of the perspex sandwich!

Last edited:

ultrafiel

macrumors member
Original poster
May 19, 2002
I've been going about this slowly, but I got a few more discs. I'm still trying to get 8.6 and Mac OS X Public Beta... I'm not in a rush though. I occasionally see one or both on ebay but I've lost out on the auctions at the last minute.

Thanks again for the ideas.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Disc Collecting

Hello all,
Guess I get to revive this thread again. I've embarked on this project as well. I had planned to collect OS X 10.0 - 10.6 on disc, then saw this post and thought it was a great idea. I have in my possession or en route through USPS all the discs (including OS 8.6 and the Public Beta) except 10.3, 10.4, and 10.5. For those I'm just waiting on my paycheck and will snag a set from ebay.

I was wondering where one could find perspex? Is it something you can get at a local hardware store? Thanks for your help!

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Easy way would be to buy some foam/plastic CD centres.

We use them for presentation folders when a CD/DVD is needed in the back of a brochure.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Finished Collection

Sounds like a good idea, I'll look into getting some. Since the last post I've completed the collection. All discs from Mac System 7.5 through 10.6 (including 8.6 and the Public Beta), and all the releases of OS X Server.

Attachments

• Photo May 01, 11 01 23 PM.jpg
    Photo May 01, 11 01 23 PM.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 203

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Better quality, scanned image.

Attachments

• Layout small.jpg
    Layout small.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 254

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Now you just need one of the ultra-rare 7.0 CDs!

I have one that's a beta, and one that is a "group install" final-release disc. (Looks kind of like your 7.5 CD, only with purple instead of red.)

Plus the system-specific ones, of course.

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Nice! I've never heard of the 7.0 CD's, didn't know they existed. I've finally got these all in a glass frame. Ended up using double stick tape and some superglue to attach it to the back. Other attempts weren't working out and the discs would fall after a day or two. Nonetheless I'm happy with how it turned out.

Attachments

• Photo May 26, 8 10 33 AM.jpg
    Photo May 26, 8 10 33 AM.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 193
  • Photo May 26, 8 52 04 AM.jpg
    Photo May 26, 8 52 04 AM.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 2,248

MrMacintoshBlog

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice! I've never heard of the 7.0 CD's, didn't know they existed. I've finally got these all in a glass frame. Ended up using double stick tape and some superglue to attach it to the back. Other attempts weren't working out and the discs would fall after a day or two. Nonetheless I'm happy with how it turned out.

That really looks slick!!! I like the glass look of it instead of having the typical backing of a frame.

I was interested in the 7.0 and 7.1 cd's

check them out!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-System-7-Beta-Release-7-0-SuperBeta-Prototype-Pre-release-/251538208583?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3a90d87747

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Macintosh-System-7-Beta-Release-7-1-Shuswap-Prototype-Pre-release-/251538208711?pt=US_Operating_Systems_Software&hash=item3a90d877c7

jdphoto

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2014
Ahh!! So that's what those look like. I'm tempted to pick them up, but probably won't. I din't see any that were the final release when I searched for others (though I saw a 7.0 Golden Master that is probably the same code). According to Mactracker 7.0 and 7.1 were only released in final on floppy, so I guess I'll keep the collection pure with final releases ;)

mcdermd

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2004
There is a 7.6.1 disc too but it looks pretty much like 7.6 with a .1 tacked on the end.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Those beta CDs are nice (I have a beta7 CD,) but I'm referring to the "Group Upgrade" pack.

Sadly, I can't find a picture of it online, and mine are in storage at the moment... (I have that same kit.)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.53.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-06-03 at 11.53.07 PM.png
    126.3 KB · Views: 140

Maega

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2014
I'm not sure how common or rare these are, but I have Mac OS 9 and Mac OS X 10.0 "Internal Apple Edition"

If they're easy to find they could be a worthy addition for say a second frame since all discs say "Property of Apple Computer .Inc" on them (I don't think Apple would really want them back so badly considering they're 13 years old..)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.