Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A month after a public beta was made available, RSS news reader Reeder 2 has officially launched in the Mac App Store. The original Reeder app was discontinued following the shutdown of Google Reader last July. The new version of the program is compatible with RSS platforms such as Feedbin, Feedly, Feed Wrangler, Fever, and Readability along with support for local and standalone RSS.

reeder_2_mac_1.jpeg
Other features:
- Themes
- Gestures
- Customizable shortcuts

Sharing services:
- Safari Reading List
- QUOTE.fm Read
- Buffer
- Readability
- Instapaper
- Pocket
- Evernote
- MarsEdit
- Pinboard
- Delicious
- App.net
- Twitter
- Facebook
Reeder also launched Reeder 2 for iOS devices [Direct Link] this past September, which featured compatibility with numerous RSS services, in addition to gesture-based navigation, view modes, and the ability to share stories through a variety of services.

reeder_2_mac_2.jpeg
Reeder 2 for Mac is a $9.99 download and is available through the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: RSS Feed Viewer 'Reeder 2' Now Available for Mac with Support for Multiple RSS Platforms

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I've been using the beta since I loved the Reeder 1. I'm sort of disappointed that I have to pay again for Reeder 2, when the only features that it has gained are the new rss services and the new design. This is the same story with the iOS version of Reeder (which I had to pay for again for a new design + new rss services).

I think I will fork over once the beta expires though, since it runs a whole lot smoother than ReadKit does, and I do like the little things about it like the cool animations, gesture support. Reeder also looks nicer than ReadKit.

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
I've been using the beta since I loved the Reeder 1. I'm sort of disappointed that I have to pay again for Reeder 2, when the only features that it has gained are the new rss services and the new design. This is the same story with the iOS version of Reeder (which I had to pay for again for a new design + new rss services).

I think I will fork over once the beta expires though, since it runs a whole lot smoother than ReadKit does, and I do like the little things about it like the cool animations, gesture support. Reeder also looks nicer than ReadKit.
I don't mind supporting the developer for something so great. Would you rather ads pinned around the app?

H.Finch

Cancelled
Jun 9, 2013
Been trying the beta for a while. The animations are awesome, however, the readability is not (yet). On a 27 inch iMac the lists font sizes are way too small, even when set to 'large'.
Also, scentences are way too long. Caffeinated for example (which has its own flaws) is much better at this. The reading experience should come first. Cute animations, guestures, theme's etc should come after that I think.
Also, the icon should have just been the same as the iOs icon for consistency. This icon looks too much like the 'package' icon of osx itself anyway.

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
I don't mind supporting the developer for something so great. Would you rather ads pinned around the app?

I don't mind supporting the developer but what part of my comment shows that I want ads? My point was that I fear that the developer will introduce Reeder 3, make up pay $10 again, and abandon the previous version. Sure if that's your cup of tea, go ahead. I think we're seeing this because Apple still doesn't have an optional "upgrade" price that developers can set.

$10 is a bit pricey for an RSS reader when ReadKit is $5 AND has more features so I'm unsure if I want to switch. The Reeder 2 beta has been smoother than ReadKit in my experience but with Readkit getting occasional updates, it's been getting a lot better.

To be clear, I'm not against paying for good software. Heck I've paid for Reeder 1 on the Mac, as well as both Reeder 1 and 2 on iOS!

Last edited:

balcis

macrumors member
Nov 20, 2012
Almost every software looks great on Mac OS X systems; I'm a windows 8.1 user (not loving it, only because financial issues) and whenever I see an app screenshot like this; a drop of tear is trying to make its way out of my eye.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
shame on apple for removing rss from safari without any explanation.
What difference would it have made if they'd given you an explanation? You'd still be in the same boat.

It's not hard to figure out why they removed RSS functionality from Safari. Same reason they removed it from Mail.app. Applications work best when they're focused on doing one thing well, and even at their popularity peak, RSS feeds were a niche feature that didn't really fit well in either of those applications.

Argelius

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2005
Looks nice, but what advantage over Feedly?

I enjoyed using Reeder on my iPad years ago, before I discovered Feedly. The new Reeder app looks great, but I don't see any advantage over Feedly, which is equally beautiful (albeit with a different design aesthetic), cross-platform, and free.

Not sure I see the value in having a separate app for RSS, since my browser is always open and imbibes Feedly with all of the extensions, workflows, etc I'm used to with Chrome.

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada

I've already supported the developer by buying the previous versions on iPhone, iPad and Mac, now presumably I'll have to buy them all over again for a relatively minor upgrade. I love Reeder, but I don't think I'll be continually buying every version.

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
Just bought it, it's fairly expensive for what it does - and Feedly is a pretty good alternative - but in my eyes Reeder is easily the best RSS reader.

Just wish you could sort by feed rather than all the feeds being jumbled up and sorted by time - or am I missing something?

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
What difference would it have made if they'd given you an explanation? You'd still be in the same boat.

It's not hard to figure out why they removed RSS functionality from Safari. Same reason they removed it from Mail.app. Applications work best when they're focused on doing one thing well, and even at their popularity peak, RSS feeds were a niche feature that didn't really fit well in either of those applications.

Not to mention that mailing lists have largely taken over much of the same purpose, but without that feature of accidentally downloading a backlog of posts.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I love Reeder 2 on my iPhone, but after using Times/Pulp, then the various apps that plug into the Notification Center to deliver updates, then the Reeder Mac beta, and then the Feedly "app", I've decided that I didn't really benefit from having RSS on my desktop.

My 13" screen is also very small and useless for multitasking. :eek:

But it was mostly because I found all the badges and notifications distracting.

BD1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2007
Prefer Feedly now. It's a different but for me, preferable way to consume lots of feeds. I really like the multiple view types that can be set by feed (e.g. card, magazine, etc.).

I was a longtime Reeder 1.0 user and really liked it at the time but tried the Reeder 2.0 beta. It feels dated compared to Feedly.

I also didn't like the way the developer treated us and left us hanging and did not communicate well. That said, I would have bought 2.0 if I felt it was worth it but will stay with Feedly (safari).

Also one advantage of Feedly on safari is that safari extensions can improve the experience.

On my iPhone I use Newsify instead of Reeder or the Feedly app.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
No worry

Apologies about that...fixed now!

No worry man. To be honest, I kinda like the fact that there's a typo every now and then. It makes it seem more informal, and personal, and while it might not be as professional, it makes this site seem more like a community than a classic news site.

Besides, the simple fact that you reply to me also emphasizes my point of this being more of a two way dialogue than the classic one way "here are the news" deal you have with news outlets.

I get notifications from 9to5Mac, AppleInsider, and of course MacRumors, but whenever a notification pops from 9to5 or AI, I just think: Can't wait to read that on MacRumors. (Assuming you guys aren't first with that specific article).

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Personally I find €9 a bit pricy, especially since the developer has a habit of quickly charging people again for the next "major" update.

Pixelmator has given version 2 users a free update to version 3.0 and beyond. Those updates gave us a whole lot more compared to just a few additional cloud services and an new interface. No ads pinned around the app either.

Last edited:

thelucas

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2013
Developer Lost Me

When the developer shuttered Reeder for Mac, he mistreated Reeder users with horrible and cavalier communication. Seems like he didn't care about us all that much so I found Feedly. I was still tempted to give R2 a chance - if it was remarkable but to me, based on the screenshots I've seen, R2 looks outdated.

The way the developer handled Reeder users should be a lesson to every future developer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.