Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier this week, a report suggested Apple has plans to unveil a new smart home initiative at WWDC. This platform would allow the iPhone to directly control lights, security systems, and other household gadgets, with Apple giving third-party device makers official approval for integrated devices.

Gigaom has some new information on how the smart home program will work, confirming that it is a fairly simple program that will certify both connected devices already on the market and upcoming devices under the existing "Made for iPhone" certification process currently used for iOS accessories like iPhone cables and gaming controllers.

mfi_logo.jpg
The program will not include an Apple-made software interface that overrides the existing apps tied to current iOS-compatible home accessories like the Philips Hue lighting system or the Nest thermometer, and will instead focus on connecting devices via WiFi. There's also the possibility for voice control using Bluetooth.

The MFi certification will essentially be used to notify consumers about which products will integrate well both with the iPhone and with other home automation accessories, suggesting the program introduced next week will feature several home automation product manufacturers that have agreed to work with the MFi standards for quality and compatibility.
Instead of worrying about hubs and what might work with other devices, consumers can look for the MFi label and be assured that they can pull their smart home setup together -- and control it from their iOS device.

It's technically possible that the user could control some device functions from a handset or tablet without opening the app, or that the app would open automatically based on a voice command or eventually through presence detection.
Apple is expected to unveil more information on its smart home initiative on Monday, when WWDC kicks off with an opening keynote.

Article Link: Apple's 'Smart Home' Initiative Focused on 'Made for iPhone' Certification, Not Deep Integration

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
That makes more sense than the suggestion that they’d be making stuff. Here’s hoping the concept actually goes somewhere.

medazinol

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Seems like a bit of a yawn. I was hoping that Apple would actually develop hardware like the Nest etc...

Love my Nest and Protect. Fadell is onto something there. Let's hope he keeps up the innovation with some new products.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Seems like a bit of a yawn. I was hoping that Apple would actually develop hardware like the Nest etc...

Love my Nest and Protect. Fadell is onto something there. Let's hope he keeps up the innovation with some new products.

I used to love my NEST. However, ever since Google got involved, the system seems to be much less reliable. It's gone offline for me a few times a week. **** google!!!! :mad:

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
With something as big as Home automation you can't do it all at once. This is just the first step of Apple home automation. Wait for it people. Cool stuff will come in the future. Even Apple can't create all hardware (lighting, appliances, etc) at once. Sigh... people are so impatient and clueless. :(

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Dead in the water if it's iOS only

There are other products and WILL be other products that can and will do the same that will work with any phone, Android and iOS

What would be the point in a control system for the home that will only work whilst you buy iPhones?

And for the countries around the world which have a tiny iOS market share, virtually no sales at all.

Apple can't be THAT stupid can they ?

That would be like trying to sell an Apple TV that you had to use an iPhone for a remote control and nothing else would work. It would be even more limited than it is now.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
This simple thing simply does not make sense

i can understand when "Made for iPhone" certification is used for something that is unique to iPhone (for example something with lightning port or a phone case). Home automation devices need to use something like WiFi, BT or better yet a specialized protocol like zigbee or z-wave. If they use it, then they will work not just with iPhones but also with Android phones and with just about everything out there. Unless Apple will require the certified devices to somehow rely on Apple ID it is going to be "Made for iPhone, works with everything".

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
i can understand when "Made for iPhone" certification is used for something that is unique to iPhone (for example something with lightning port or a phone case). Home automation devices need to use something like WiFi, BT or better yet a specialized protocol like zigbee or z-wave. If they use it, then they will work not just with iPhones but also with Android phones and with just about everything out there. Unless Apple will require the certified devices to somehow rely on Apple ID it is going to be "Made for iPhone, works with everything".

There are plenty of devices that work for Android, WP, and iOS that have the MFi certification. MFi doesn't place any restrictions on the usage of other devices, it just means that when an iOS device is used it is certified to function properly.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Apple would be crazy to get into the hardware market for this. But they can certainly certify various other company's products as being compatible in some way with iOS. Add a few APIs and it's not really that big a deal on Apple's end. Low risk, and people who want it will be happy.

I actually have a smart home, and there's an app for that on my iPhone to control everything I've set up with my home automation server. As far as I'm concerned that's all I need.

irfaanfaki

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2013
Personally really hoping this isn't what the whole secret I can't tell you sessions are for in the WWDC schedule. Would be cool for those who actually want these kind of devices though.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Dead in the water if it's iOS only

There are other products and WILL be other products that can and will do the same that will work with any phone, Android and iOS

What would be the point in a control system for the home that will only work whilst you buy iPhones?

And for the countries around the world which have a tiny iOS market share, virtually no sales at all.

Apple can't be THAT stupid can they ?

That would be like trying to sell an Apple TV that you had to use an iPhone for a remote control and nothing else would work. It would be even more limited than it is now.

Apple has always been about proprietary products that work only with other Apple products.

It's the 'walled garden' you hear so much about these days, what you lose in choice of products you gain in tight system integration which works for a better, smoother and more fluid experience.

iPhonetherefore

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Taunton UK
I was hoping for a newsstand or passbook style app where you will find a one stop app for all your home automation to function from. Rather than turning everything off on 10 different apps when you leave, you can just flick a switch like airplane mode and power everything off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.