Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone rumors this year have included a steady stream of mockups, case designs and alleged schematics for the iPhone 6 emerging from China and other Asian countries. Sonny Dickson, well-known source of Apple hardware rumors, claims this wellspring of leaked information may be drying up due to increased security efforts by Apple and Chinese authorities.

iphone_6_5_hand-800x538.jpg
iPhone 6 mockup (left) obtained by MacRumors and iPhone 5 (right) in the hand
Dickson claims Apple is working with Chinese officials to stifle leaks about the iPhone 6, hiring approximately 200 security officers to catch merchants who are selling accessories allegedly for the iPhone 6.

There are about 200 security officers trying to catch those who dare to sell i6 accessories. - Sonny Dickson (@SonnyDickson) May 30, 2014
Apple is known for being a secretive company, with Tim Cook promising shortly after he took over as CEO that he was going to "double down" on secrecy when it came to future product information. Cook may be able to adequately control the flow of information from Apple's employees by reminding them to "do the right thing," but his power does not extend to Asian suppliers.

These overseas suppliers often are the weak link as they are privy to Apple's unreleased products, but lack the strict oversight that discourages employees from intentionally leaking sensitive product details.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Asking Chinese Authorities to Crack Down on iPhone 6 Leaks

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
So I wonder if some of the specs and mockups we've seen are indeed accurate...

*sigh* I have hated this bubbly edge design from the beginning. Aw well, Apple doesn't care what I think so bring on the iPhone 6...

cogitodexter

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Naaaaaaarfolk, England
Apple shouldn't get TOO secretive... after all, the leaks build up product interest momentum before official announcements.

A company like Apple that doesn't release products every day (like certain others I could mention) doesn't suffer if a little bit of information is fed to the world through unofficial drip-feeds.

The fans need something to feed on!

taptic

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2012
California
The leaks must be true then! The next iPhone will not only be able to blend it'll be able to transform into a blender!

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Bit late for iPhone 6 leaks.

May as well start afresh with cracking down on iPhone 6S/7 leaks.

Darrin Bell

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2003
Los Angeles
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

iPhone rumors this year have included a steady stream of mockups, case designs and alleged schematics for the iPhone 6 emerging from China and other Asian countries. Sonny Dickson, well-known source of Apple hardware rumors, claims this wellspring of leaked information may be drying up due to increased security efforts by Apple and Chinese authorities.

ImageiPhone 6 mockup (left) obtained by MacRumors and iPhone 5 (right) in the hand
Dickson claims Apple is working with Chinese officials to stifle leaks about the iPhone 6, hiring approximately 200 security officers to catch merchants who are selling accessories allegedly for the iPhone 6.

Apple is known for being a secretive company, with Tim Cook promising shortly after he took over as CEO that he was going to "double down" on secrecy when it came to future product information. Cook may be able to adequately control the flow of information from Apple's employees by reminding them to "do the right thing," but his power does not extend to Asian suppliers.

These overseas suppliers often are the weak link as they are privy to Apple's unreleased products, but lack the strict oversight that discourages employees from intentionally leaking sensitive product details.

Article Link: Apple Reportedly Asking Chinese Authorities to Crack Down on iPhone 6 Leaks

I don't understand why anyone bothers leaking iPhone designs or why Apple's bothering to crack down. I enjoy my iPhone 5 and I'll buy an iPhone 6, but there's nothing interesting about the leaks I've seen. Other than the size and being a sliver thinner, it's virtually identical in appearance to the 5. What's the big deal?

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
So what fire me, I just made 50,000 american dollars off that blurry pic using my cheap knock-off cell phone which is 10 years my yearly salery, so said the Foxcom employee.....

joelvega125

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Little late for this I think...We basically have all but a fully functioning iPhone 6. It's not like leaks are anything new. Apple should be a bit more proactive.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
You know what this means: body cavity searches. Bust out the gloves, lubrication and flashlights.

Not a problem here. Apparently the new iPhone is so huge that average-sized body cavities cannot possibly hold the new one. One will have to upgrade to larger-sized cavities to have any chance of smuggling this much larger phone.

And this just in- new pants with much larger pockets on sale at Target. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.