Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's Worldwide Developer's Conference (WWDC) kicks off on Monday, but a few retailers have some larger than normal discounts on some current Mac models.

imac-mbp.jpg
The 21.5" 2.7GHz current generation iMac is seeing a $149 discount at Adorama and Best Buy. The iMac, however, is near the end of its refresh cycle and while we probably won't see the new low-cost iMac debuted at WWDC, it does seem imminent. So, we recommend you wait on buying any new iMacs.

The 13" Retina MacBook Pro with 512GB SSD, however, is seeing a $199 discount at both Amazon and B&H Photo, bringing the price from $1799 to $1599.99. That's the lowest price we've seen. The buy recommendation for the Retina MacBook Pro is more complicated.

The Retina MacBook Pros were last updated in October 2013, according to our Buyer's Guide and receives a "Caution" rating. Current MacBook Pro rumors place the next update in between Q3 and Q4, so approximately 4 months from now. That is enough time that if you are on the market specifically for the 13" Retina MacBook Pro, a $199 discount may be enough to pull the trigger.

B&H Photo and Adorama only charge sales tax in NY and NY/NJ, respectively.

MacRumors is an affiliate partner with some of these vendors.

Article Link: Buyer's Guide: iMac and 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Discounts Ahead of WWDC

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
I agree about the iMac update being imminent.

Not sure about the 13" Retina Macbook Pro though. The deep discount could be to move inventory during graduation time but also could be a sign of imminent updates as well. I think I would still wait at least until after WWDC before making any Apple purchases at this point.

yellowtruck

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2013
in my opintion

I think there is something coming for the imac since they promptly removed the "imac15" or what ever, from the released bata code-a-ma thingy. Onion is intentional.

I think it will be premium upgrades as a standard cost. Fusion Drive, standard. I7 core, standard, video memory, standard top teir at regular prices. Maybe on top of the top teir at a $100.00 discount. Because, a 100.00 discount on the imac isnt rally enough of a boost to increase sales in my onion.

mixel

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2006
Leeds, UK
I reaaaaaaaaalllly want them to announce a 4k iMac.. Even if it's a premium non-standard thing.

That would be beautiful!

stellabird

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2014
A little help please...

Does that count for 27" iMacs with the i7 and an SSD as well? It seems like a low cost iMac will be presented, but the question is, if the top iMac models will remain as they are.

I'm in the same boat...was just about to configure and order a 27' iMac today but guessing I should wait...? Not certain whether to go 3.2 or 3.4, want the Fusion drive, and guess I can upgrade the RAM on my own if someone steers me in the right direction re aftermarket brands (I did the same to my 24" iMac with Kingston I believe) Newbie here...thank you for your assistance and patience.

ps ~ I would be ALL OVER a 30" iMac...

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
I'm in the same boat...was just about to configure and order a 27' iMac today but guessing I should wait...? Not certain whether to go 3.2 or 3.4, want the Fusion drive, and guess I can upgrade the RAM on my own if someone steers me in the right direction re aftermarket brands (I did the same to my 24" iMac with Kingston I believe) Newbie here...thank you for your assistance and patience.

Think until the end of the day (today) and if no new top-model iMac gets announced, I believe you can buy it. Or does anyone believe an iMac could get announced later this year? I heard that the iMac should be refreshed soon, it's been out for a while.

Then on the other side, with the iMac maxed out, it's enough for what I need personally. If a new one comes out I'll probably be paying the same price and it will be only 0,01% faster or so haha.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012

Give it a few more hours before hitting that buy button. I personally think that the 22" iMac is too small and would welcome a 24" version while pushing the 27" to a 30" 4k display :D

AlifTheUnseen

macrumors regular
May 17, 2014
Any news on a new iMac?

Doesn't look so… Anyway, I still wait to buy a replacement for my Mid-2010 iMac. The CPU of the upcoming iMac is not that much better, but if they go for the 880M GPU as an update from the 780M, that would be a significant update. Plus the SSD / fusion drive options should be better in the upcoming iMacs…. I'll wait…

Silly John Fatty

macrumors 68000
Nov 6, 2012
What do you mean with SSD options? The price-size ratio?
I'll be going with an SSD as well, but what sucks is that I would need the iMac as soon as possible. It sucks waiting. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.