Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

healthbook_single-250x443.jpg
One of the major new features expected in iOS 8 is "Healthbook", a system for keeping track of and providing at-a-glance access to various types of health and fitness information. The system would be ideal for interfacing with Apple's rumored iWatch with built-in biometric sensors, but even before that device's introduction would also be useful for collecting data from sensors within the iPhone and third-party health accessories.

MacRumors has now discovered several trademark applications related to the Healthbook name, and while information on the applications available online does not directly link them to Apple, circumstantial evidence suggests that they are indeed Apple's filings. The filings were made earlier this year in Trinidad and Tobago, one of Apple's favored early trademark filing locations.

First is a pair of filings protecting Healthbook itself and a two-word variation of Health Book. Rumors and a leaked screenshot have indicated that Apple has been planning to use the one-word variation, but it is understandable that Apple would want to protect both versions. The applications were filed on February 3 of this year, just days after the name was publicly revealed.

Supporting the notion that these are Apple filings is the fact that two different trademark applications for "Apple CarPlay" were filed on the same day, roughly a month before iOS in the Car was publicly announced as having been renamed CarPlay.

Just one day later, another series of trademark applications were filed for several other terms, including HealthKit, iResearch, and iReasearch. Again, while these can not be directly linked to Apple, the timing and other circumstantial evidence suggests that these are in fact Apple's applications.

It is not entirely clear what these terms are intended to describe, although HealthKit could be a set of developer tools for Healthbook integration in much the same way Apple has named other kits such as UIKit and GameKit. The focus of iResearch is even less clear, and iReasearch could simply be a typo that was quickly corrected with another filing.

All of the new health- and research-related trademark applications are filed under four international classes: 9 (computer software), 10 (medical apparatus), 14 (jewelry and watches), and 42 (computer hardware and software development services).

Article Link: Healthbook, HealthKit, and iResearch Names Revealed in Trademark Filings

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
I like the healthbook card-style layout but I hope there's a 'general' card that displays an overview of important data from all cards.

SolarShane

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I like the healthbook card-style layout but I hope there's a 'general' card that displays an overview of important data from all cards.

Probably. Notice the "Edit" button. You can add or remove cards, so maybe a "General" or "Me" card will be included.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008

The overviews for each subsection seem to be displayed to the right of the cards' headings.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada

Look more closely. The top-right of each card has its most important data.

edit: Fresh Pie beat me to it by a few seconds.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
And some of these are undoubtably preemptive filings to prevent others from claiming trademarks similar to the ones Apple plans to use.

Good luck figuring out which is which.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

Yeah not a big fan of Passbook, if you use it a lot (I get a few boarding passes every week), it is a pain to manage. Might work better for something fixed like this.

fr33 loader

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
There's a reason professional athletes rely on a chest strap as heart monitor as opposed to using a watch during their training, those watches are not that accurate.

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
PLEASE don't let iResearch be a search engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Godzilla71

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2009
WA state
An apple a day........ ;)

It is going to be interesting to see what they have planned for this. Excited for Monday to come already!!

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
HealthBook is obviously the app, HealthKit is probably the associated framework, but iResearch? That's a juicy name...

I could see iResearch, if legit, as some kind of student based thing.

And I agree that HealthKit is probably an SDK for using with HealthBook.

----------

Probably. Notice the "Edit" button. You can add or remove cards, so maybe a "General" or "Me" card will be included.

Hmmm I wonder if the Me Card could be something you could allow folks to view even if they don't know your passcode. Scenario could be something like if you collapsed while out shopping. Someone could do some advertised tap or swipe and see that you are diabetic, your name etc.

Rad99004

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2009
The insurance companies and ad companies are going to love the data from these programs. Will be interesting to read the terms of service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.