Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

feelsgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Montréal
Firefox won't open .torrent files automatically; instead you need to (OK) confirm-click and following that the torrent is loaded (in my case) in uTorrent.

Has anyone got a workaround? Thanks in advance.

OSX 10.63
Firefox v.3.63

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
uTorrent should be the default app for opening .torrent files, not Firefox. Firefox is not a torrent app... it's a web browser. Check your settings on uTorrent to make sure it automatically opens .torrent files that are downloaded, and that the proper download folder is selected.

feelsgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Montréal
uTorrent should be the default app for opening .torrent files, not Firefox. Firefox is not a torrent app... it's a web browser. Check your settings on uTorrent to make sure it automatically opens .torrent files that are downloaded, and that the proper download folder is selected.

I want Firefox to open the .torrent files automatically, as is the case with Google Chrome for example (but not Safari without a clever little mod). Do you understand my question now?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I want Firefox to open the .torrent files automatically, as is the case with Google Chrome for example (but not Safari without a clever little mod). Do you understand my question now?

No. Firefox doesn't open .torrent files. A torrent app is required for that. Firefox can download them, but uTorrent is the app that opens the .torrent file and handles the download of the file. Firefox isn't designed for that.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
I've never found a work around for it either. No matter how many times I've set it to automatically do this action, it always comes up with a pop up window to confirm.

I tried creating new users to see if it was some setting I've messed with but it's always worked the same way. I've even used different clients (uTorrent, Bittorrent, Transmission, Vuze etc.) and it always does the same thing as well.

I have a feeling that FF does it for some added end-user security reasons - just to make sure that the user is aware of the torrent they are downloading!?

EDIT: @GGJ He's talking about making Firefox automatically open the .torrent file with uTorrent when the file is clicked, much like you can choose what program to use to open .pdf files and have it do it that way automatically without asking again.

feelsgood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 6, 2010
Montréal
I've never found a work around for it either. No matter how many times I've set it to automatically do this action, it always comes up with a pop up window to confirm.

I tried creating new users to see if it was some setting I've messed with but it's always worked the same way. I've even used different clients (uTorrent, Bittorrent, Transmission, Vuze etc.) and it always does the same thing as well.

I have a feeling that FF does it for some added end-user security reasons - just to make sure that the user is aware of the torrent they are downloading!?

EDIT: @GGJ He's talking about making Firefox automatically open the .torrent file with uTorrent when the file is clicked, much like you can choose what program to use to open .pdf files and have it do it that way automatically without asking again.

This will do the trick for Safari on Snow Leopard (a browser restart is required): Safari: Open .torrent Files Automatically After Downloading

http://www.corewerkz.com/2009/04/12/safari-open-torrent-files-automatically-after-downloading/

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
This will do the trick for Safari on Snow Leopard (a browser restart is required): Safari: Open .torrent Files Automatically After Downloading

http://www.corewerkz.com/2009/04/12/safari-open-torrent-files-automatically-after-downloading/

It's still not Safari (or Firefox) that's opening the file. It's your uTorrent app. You didn't ask about automatically opening files after downloading, which is a completely separate issue.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
I dug up this thread because the problem still persists. Opening a torrent downloaded IN (yes, I said IN) firefox results in a dialog box regardless of what auto open settings you use. It's weird that an issue several years old still has no resolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Opening a torrent downloaded IN (yes, I said IN) firefox results in a dialog box regardless of what auto open settings you use.
Find a torrent file on your computer. Right-click and select "Open With", then select "other" and browse the list of available apps that can open that torrent file. You'll see that Safari and Firefox are not available, as they DO NOT open torrent files.

When you select "Open "safe" files after downloading" in Safari (or the equivalent in Firefox), you're simply choosing to open the file with whatever app is associated with it. That doesn't mean your browser is able to open such files, because they CAN'T.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbuchea

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2011
Some clarity

Ok let's make a few things clear...

When attempting to open a .torrent file, the application that is used to lanuch the .torrent file usually determines what application it is opened with.

Commonly used applications to launch torrent files are:

File Browsers - Explorer (Windows), Finder (OSX), Nautilus (Gnome), Konqueror (KDE), etc. (You need to remember that although these applications are commonly bundeled with their respective Operating Systems; they are indeed applications.)

Web Browsers - Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE, etc.

Each of these applications can be independently configured to open torrent files with any application. Most users will only have one torrent application, and most other applications on the system will be configured to use this sole torrent application to open torrent files. However this is not always the scenario.

GGJ - You are correct that torrent files are usually opened with standard torrent applications. But you are incorrect that these files cannot be opened with firefox. With the correct torrent addon, this is entirely possible. (I know ultimately this a small program running inside of firefox that handles the downloading of the torrent. But this is seamless to the end user. And an end user would say that they "opened" the file in Firefox.)

Also nobody on this thread asked about automatically opening files after they have been downloaded. What the Gentlemen who started this thread was trying to ask was:

Is it possible to configure firefox not to display the firefox open file dialog, when a file is launched from the firefox download manager, an application is selected to "open with", and the "Do this automatically for files like this from now on" option is checked. For whatever reason, Firefox seems to ignore that this option is enabled when handling torrent files.

Also I wanted to state that I am not a regular user on this forum, and that I registered just to reply to this thread. When I stumbled upon this thread on saw that a such a simple question was answered with such arrogance and ignorance, I was motivated to reply. I felt that the author of the thread was looking for a solution to his problem, not a lesson in semantics. Try shaping your responses to be a little more constructive, rather than destructive, as this helps no one.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
GGJ - You are correct that torrent files are usually opened with standard torrent applications. But you are incorrect that these files cannot be opened with firefox. With the correct torrent addon, this is entirely possible. (I know ultimately this a small program running inside of firefox that handles the downloading of the torrent. But this is seamless to the end user. And an end user would say that they "opened" the file in Firefox.)
You just contradicted yourself. It is the add-on app, not Firefox, that opens the torrent. If you don't have an add-on or extension or plug-in that is designed to open torrent files, then Firefox or Safari or Chrome simply cannot open torrent files. They can only launch the appropriate app, add-on, extension or plug-in which, in turn, opens the torrent. It's really not that hard to understand. Absent another app, a browser cannot open a .torrent file, because they're not designed to do so.
Also nobody on this thread asked about automatically opening files after they have been downloaded.
Firefox won't open .torrent files automatically;
I want Firefox to open the .torrent files automatically
Commonly used applications to launch torrent files are:
Web Browsers - Firefox, Chrome, Opera, IE, etc.
Again, you cannot associate a browser with a .torrent file. If you right-click on a .torrent file and choose Open with:, you cannot select a browser, unless you have a plug-in, extension or add-on installed that handles .torrent files. Browsers do not open .torrent files. They only pass control to a torrent app, which opens the .torrent file.

Last edited:

martienne

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2011
@GGJstudios I would respectfully suggest that you stop participating in this thread, as it is clear that you are not familiar with the problem that several people here are raising. Also, your posts are more concerned with proving that your original comment was correct, than with actually helping with resolving the problem.

I found the thread after googling the problem.

This is a genuine problem and not an obvious user error.
Here is an flow to explain to the nit-pickers out there, and those who are not Firefox, bittorent or utorrent users:

1) User browsers a torrent site with Firefox.
2) User clicks on a torrent file to download it.
3) User would like to see the torrent file auto-opening in utorrent after downloading.

This happens for most other files, after modifying the (open file in) setting in Firefox. But for torrent files opening in utorrent, this does not work.

If you understand the problem and have a helpful suggestion, please respond. Otherwise, please do not respond.

Let's try to solve this one!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
@GGJstudios I would respectfully suggest that you stop participating in this thread,

I have just as much right to participate in this thread as anyone else. I completely understand the problem people are having. I also understand that the original question was worded in such a way that it sounds like the OP thought that torrent files were opened by a browser and not a torrent app. Others in this thread have expressed the same misstatement. I have posted factual corrections to those misstatements. As long as I am being attacked for stating facts, which I have done, I will respond.

I suggest that you spend a little time in this forum before you criticize forum members who have been here a while. As this is your first and only post in this forum, you haven't set the tone to be well-received by everyone with your attitude.

jive turkey

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
Interesting that people are having this issue with uTorrent. I was having it with Transmission and it drove me crazy. Transmission has been giving me problems so I recently switched to uTorrent and uninstalled Transmission, now I never get that annoying popup. Changing the default program seemed to make it go away. :confused:

jrloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I recently started having this problem and fixed it.

I understood the question from the beginning!...stop the bickering!! I googled the problem and this thread was at the top of the list! There was another thead which steared me to the solution. This is the fix for firefox:

Tools>Options>Applications>TORRENT File-->Use uTorrent(default)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I understood the question from the beginning!.
Except you didn't understand that this is a Mac forum and the thread is about Firefox on the Mac, which doesn't have Tools > Options. Your "solution" is for the Windows version of Firefox.

jrloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
this might do it

I'm sorry, the fix I gave is for windows. There must be a mac equivalent, surely. If there is then the solution I gave must steer you in the right direction....such as:

Firefox>Preferences>Applications>select Content Type (in this case ".torrent" files)>choose Action (in this case "Use uTorrent)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I'm sorry, the fix I gave is for windows. There must be a mac equivalent, surely. If there is then the solution I gave must steer you in the right direction....such as:

Firefox>Preferences>Applications>select Content Type (in this case ".torrent" files)>choose Action (in this case "Use uTorrent)
You still don't understand. The point of this thread is that even though uTorrent is the default app for opening .torrent files, they do not automatically open after downloading.

jrloader

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2011
I understand perfectly! The reason why they do not automatically open after downloading is because of the application settings in firefox! The actions available on the Firefox Applications panel are: Always ask, Save File, Use µTorrent(default), Use other..., and I'm sure it must be similar for the mac. GGJstudios, try it yourself, change the settings, see what happens. If you have a mac, and I assume you do, then test it, see if you can replicate the problem.

As for the original post by feelsgood, obviously the phrase "Firefox won't open .torrent files automatically" just indicates the browser being used. The line "the torrent is loaded (in my case) in uTorrent" indicates the torrent client being used, and he/she wants to know why they "need to (OK) confirm-click" instead of it opening automatically. I'm sure feelgood isn't mega newb to think that firefox can be used to open torrent files, he already has µTorrent. Too bad feelsgood can't reply now, I guess we will never know if this will fix his problem, there will be no praise or thankyous. Hopefully this thead has not been waste and has helped someone.

Gbat

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2011
Workaround

Hi all, I pretty much joined just to make this one reply because this thread is at the top of the google search for my problem, and i really haven't found a solution anywhere else.

I had this same problem for a long time, and while I havent figured out why FF is acting this way I have a workaround that is working for me.

1) tell FF to save torrent files automatically instead of open with utorrent

2)go into utorrent and set it to monitor your downloads folder for new torrents

options->preferences->directories->automatically load .torrents from
(your downloads folder)

3)optionally, to store torrents somewhere else than your main downloads location:

options->preferences->directories->store loaded .torrents in
(wherever you choose)

options->preferences->directories->automatically delete loaded .torrents
(to keep them from cluttering up your downloads location)

peace

jlmntl

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2011
Really simple fix

First of all, It's pretty ridiculous when 90% of this thread has been about bickering and trying to either prove you're right or someone else is wrong, especially when the difference is basically semantics. If we all understand the problem then who cares how it's worded? Anyway, there is a very simple solution to this problem for users of firefox on mac: an extension called "InlineDisposition." Install this and it fixes this problem automatically, no configuration needed. Hopefully this helps people that stumble on this thread looking for an actual solution, not a bunch of ego stroking.

Trotheus

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2011
Registered just for this post.

@ jlmntl: THANK YOU! This issue was driving me absolutely bonkers. And as InlineDisposition is a firefox extension, it works for any platform, not only Mac.

@ Gbat: Ingenious and thorough workaround, the effort is appreciated.

semanticsz1

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2013
dingbat

I have the same quandary.

The thing is, when I download a .torrent file, firefox opens this dialog wherein it asks:
You have chosen to open
[*******.com]semanticsofforumwriting.torrent
which is: Binary file (19.4 KB)

Would you liek to save this file?

[Cancel] [Save]

On my macbook pro, using firefox. On my windows desktop of course this doesnt happen. On macbook, I use VUZE (no other option as it seems).

So what I want is for this dialogue box to NOT HAPPEN, instead when I download a .torrent file it WONT OPEN A DIALOGUE BOX but rather just autmatically add itself on my VUZE like how it does on my windows to its torrent downloader, bitcomet.

If this still isnt clear, then I will post pictures and videos of it. :)

inlinedisposition addon still didnt work...very frustrating.

Last edited:

Tobegreywolf

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2014
Thanks!!

Hi all, I pretty much joined just to make this one reply because this thread is at the top of the google search for my problem, and i really haven't found a solution anywhere else.

I had this same problem for a long time, and while I havent figured out why FF is acting this way I have a workaround that is working for me.

1) tell FF to save torrent files automatically instead of open with utorrent

2)go into utorrent and set it to monitor your downloads folder for new torrents

options->preferences->directories->automatically load .torrents from
(your downloads folder)

3)optionally, to store torrents somewhere else than your main downloads location:

options->preferences->directories->store loaded .torrents in
(wherever you choose)

options->preferences->directories->automatically delete loaded .torrents
(to keep them from cluttering up your downloads location)

peace

Thank you!!

If you have a paypal address, I will gladly buy you a drink. Your work around solves the problem nicely. If it wasn't so much trouble to register in a Forum that won't get used again just to say thanks, you'd probably get a lot more posts thanking you since it's at the top of the search page.

But then again, it also saves some folks from getting flamed for making us read through 8 inane posts that aren't in the least bit helpful or constructive.

Anyway Thanks again!

sarakn

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2013
First of all, It's pretty ridiculous when 90% of this thread has been about bickering and trying to either prove you're right or someone else is wrong, especially when the difference is basically semantics. If we all understand the problem then who cares how it's worded? Anyway, there is a very simple solution to this problem for users of firefox on mac: an extension called "InlineDisposition." Install this and it fixes this problem automatically, no configuration needed. Hopefully this helps people that stumble on this thread looking for an actual solution, not a bunch of ego stroking.

InlineDisposition 2 worked beautifully! Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.