Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fortune has just released its annual "Fortune 500" list, which is a high-profile ranking of the largest companies in the United States ranked by revenue. This year, Apple has taken the #5 spot, up from #6 in last year's rankings and from #17 in 2012.

fifthavenue_hero.jpg
The Apple Store Fifth Avenue in New York City, New York​
Apple's net sales keep climbing, as the tech giant continues to sell more iPhones and digital content. But the company faces pressure in the smartphone business, as Android phones grow increasingly dominant. Meanwhile, Apple reported an annual drop in net income in fiscal year 2013, a first in more than a decade. Activist investor Carl Icahn last year disclosed a stake in Apple and subsequently pushed for the company to spend billions on share buybacks. In April, the company increased the amount of shares it is authorized to repurchase and raised its quarterly dividend by 8%, and in late May it announced it was acquiring Beats Music and Beats Electronics for $3 billion.
Wal-Mart once again beat out ExxonMobil for this year's #1 ranking, with Chevron and Berkshire Hathaway ranking ahead of Apple's $170.9 billion in revenue. Apple's profit of $37 billion dollars also ranked first among Fortune 500 companies despite falling 11.3% from last year.

Apple announced last week that it would be buying Beats Electronics and the Beats Music streaming service for a total of $3 billion, making it the largest acquisition in company history. Apple is also expected to launch a number of new products this year, including a larger iPhone, new Macs, new versions of OS X and iOS, and an "iWatch" smartwatch.

Article Link: Apple Rises to #5 in This Year's Fortune 500 Rankings

Kobayagi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
That's what you get when you charge people $100 to double their storage. ;)

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
As soon as Samsung transitions from Android to Tizen, Android is going to quickly lose market share momentum. Hopefully Samsung will be able to get out from under Google and Android's thumb. With Samsung selling so many devices using Android, a shift to Tizen would have to slow Android's rapid growth of smartphone and tablet market share. In another year, we'll see how little influence Android has without Samsung practically carrying it. Samsung is Android's most influential hardware partner. I think Wall Street is going to be in for a rude awakening relatively soon.

mangomind

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2012
As soon as Samsung transitions from Android to Tizen, Android is going to quickly lose market share momentum. Hopefully Samsung will be able to get out from under Google and Android's thumb. With Samsung selling so many devices using Android, a shift to Tizen would have to slow Android's rapid growth of smartphone and tablet market share. In another year, we'll see how little influence Android has without Samsung practically carrying it. Samsung is Android's most influential hardware partner. I think Wall Street is going to be in for a rude awakening relatively soon.

You are right... soon mobile market share will be split between Google Android, Apple iOS, Microsoft Windows Mobile, and Samsung Tizen. Every one of these companies produce their own hardware and software.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
The difference is I don't have stocks in the sexiest actress in Hollywood. :D

Ha, well said.

Every year Apple faces pressures and threats and a nice chunk of commentators (professional and armchair) say they're doomed.

But as a company/business they're doing just fine. And have been for a number of years.

I'm happy from a shareholder and customer viewpoint.

Looking forward to WWDC.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
What is wrong with the FORTUNE website?? I can't see any of the lists...something is wrong with the site, or it won't display properly on my browser (Safari)

Anybody else having the same problem viewing the FORTUNE list on their site?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Maybe Apple is "only" #5 in terms of sales, but it is far and away #1 as for profit and recurring profitability.

Notably this is on a very narrow list of SKU's for inventory, even lower than the oil company, because despite lots of volume in a few SKU's, the sheer range is vast as compared to Apple. Also the inventory and transport cost for Apple inventory is lower.

The comparison of business models to get to the goal is the real story here.

There's no comparison among the top five for environmental impact or overhead to achieve goal.

Rocketman

reevans

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2007
Canada
They Always Value REVENUE

These professional pundits always seem to think that the most important metric is revenue or market share or anything else but profit. As I understand, any company in business is only interested in working hard and well enough to MAKE A PROFIT. Apple is doing the best possible job of making a profit while also making great products and services. People love them like no other company on earth and still that isn't good enough for these pundits. Anything to bring down greatness.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The difference is I don't have stocks in the sexiest actress in Hollywood. :D

Usually not a long term investment consideration, although hats of to some evergreens:)

I bet Apple is better of counting their cash than their standing for bragging rights on some list.

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
These professional pundits always seem to think that the most important metric is revenue or market share or anything else but profit. As I understand, any company in business is only interested in working hard and well enough to MAKE A PROFIT. Apple is doing the best possible job of making a profit while also making great products and services. People love them like no other company on earth and still that isn't good enough for these pundits. Anything to bring down greatness.

Human nature, elevate somebody beyond reason and then rip them down to make yourself feel good.

Strange concept.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.