Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As a part of today's unveiling for iOS 8 at its Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple announced a new "QuickType" feature for the onboard keyboard which offers context sensitive predictive typing suggestions among other features.

quicktype_ios8.jpg
For instance, an example message asking a user about "dinner or a movie" displayed button suggestions like "dinner", "a movie", and "not sure", while the feature will also learn how a user types and suggest specific slang used over time. Apple also promised that QuickType will protect a user's privacy when learning conversations throughout iOS, as the feature will also work in over 10 different languages.

QuickType will ship as as a part of iOS 8, which will be available later this year.

Article Link: 'QuickType' Keyboard for iOS 8 Offers Context-Aware Predictive Typing Suggestions

joeyp000

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
This is a welcome change but...

I was really hoping to see Apple implement a swipe/gesture based option similar to Android keyboards. I'm itching to switch back from an Android device and this kind of feature speeds up performance across every aspect that requires text input.

Oohara

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2012

I was really hoping to see Apple implement a swipe/gesture based option similar to Android keyboards. I'm itching to switch back from an Android device and this kind of feature speeds up performance across every aspect that requires text input.

Same here. I prefer iOS in many ways and these new improvements look great, but swipe typing offers such a monumental increase to my productivity that I simply can not pass it up on my daily driver device.

EDIT: WTF, DID THEY JUST SAY THEY'RE ALLOWING 3D PARTY KEYBOARDS IN IOS8?????? Wow....... That would do it nicely - as long as it works system wide.

Knock knock....don't wanna get my hopes up just yet.......

Last edited:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I'm pretty sure the rest of the mobile world already has this. Both my Windows Phone and my BlackBerry did, can't say for Android but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

joeyp000

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2013
They came through with 3rd party keyboards! :)

I'm liking the increased openness Apple is showing with iOS 8.

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013
I'm pretty sure the rest of the mobile world already has this. Both my Windows Phone and my BlackBerry did, can't say for Android but I'd be surprised if it doesn't.

Definitely does, although the experience is extremely variable (at least it was).

Hopefully this offers better management of non-dictionary words, and by that I mean words that aren't in Apple's dictionary. The lack of medical words in particular is what keeps me from solely using iOS Pages, which I wouldn't mind if it would at least quit marking [thrombolytic] as being spelled incorrectly whether it's the first or 20th time I've written it.

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH

It's a shame that Apple didn't do it, but people will be able to download swipe/gesture based keyboards now.

cheesyappleuser

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
Portugal

Your prayers have been heard.

----------

they allow 3rd party keyboards systemwide now so i am sure someone will implement swype sooner than later

That was Swype on the keynote.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Makes me wonder if Apple waited to implement all this keyboard stuff until after the trials, where Samsung had to pay a ton of money for supposedly infringing Apple's old autocorrect patent.

It would've been a heckuva lot harder to claim damages for something trivial like that, if it could've been pointed out at the time, that Apple themselves had also implemented ideas used by others.

mungo2k

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Well, I installed iOS 8 beta on my iPad 2 and this predictive keyboard isn't on it. So either it's not ready on any device yet, or it's too advanced for the iPad 2. (don't quite dare update my iPhone 5 yet).

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
About time. This was one of the better things on Android that i missed when i came back to iOS. I may even give Swype a re look. I tried it when i had a SGS3, and found the swiping part of it a bit hit and miss.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
they allow 3rd party keyboards systemwide now so i am sure someone will implement swype sooner than later

I read this after making my post. I'm hoping the 5.5" iPhone 6 is released alongside of the smaller 4.7" one. I converted to the Note 3 and anything smaller would just feel tiny.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.