Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced iCloud Drive and Mail Drop, two new cloud-based services that are a part of the new OS X Yosemite.

icloud_drive_2.jpg
iCloud Drive allows users to store all of their individual files from OS X and iOS in addition to data from applications on Apple's cloud storage service, with the feature syncing all files across every Mac. The files stored on iCloud Drive are even available on a user's iOS devices, as the feature also contains support for Windows through the iCloud client.

mail_osx1010-800x532.jpg
(Image Credit: The Verge)​
Meanwhile, Apple's new Mail Drop feature bypasses traditional email attachment size limits allows users to send attachments up to 5GB through iCloud. The system is seamless for Mail users, while users on other platforms will receive a links via email to allow them to download the files.

iCloud Drive and Mail Drop will ship as a part of OS X Yosemite, which will be available this fall for free. Apple will now offer the first 5GB of iCloud storage for free, with 20GB and 200GB costing $0.99 per month and $3.99 per month, respectively. Tiers of up to 1TB are also available.

Article Link: Apple Announces 'iCloud Drive' and 'Mail Drop' Features for OS X Yosemite

lewdvig

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2002
South Pole
Can they finally give a good cloud backup service for iPhoto?

I use Flickr and Google now. I'd like something that works even better - tighter integration.

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX
Really interested in seeing if storage prices will be adjusted to correspond with what other services are charging. If so, I would completely move all my cloud services to iCloud and bid a final adieu to Google and One Drive.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
Craig is on fire. Best keynote since Steve passing.

I agree. I'm guessing they kept Tim off stage as he makes it very boring. Last few he hosted I fell asleep.

Then again, this keynote is actually packed with features, most of which people will actually use and not just 'oh that's cool'.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Price comparison.
  • Dropbox: Free: 2GB, $10/month: 100GB, $20/month: 200GB $40/month: 500GB
  • Google Drive: Free: 15GB, $2/month: 100GB, $10/month: 1TB
  • iCloud Drive: Free: 5GB, $1/month: 20GB, $4/month: 200GB

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
iDisk returns!

Makes me cRaZy when they take away a feature like iDisk for a few years and then bring it back (iCloud Drive) and act like it's a feature! (They did the same for KeyChain).

At least it seems like we're going to get some serious price drops, but looks like a lot (if not all) our photos are going out there now. I'll be interested to see how it works with storing photos in the cloud but NOT on all my devices.

Gary

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
So my question is can I store anything in the cloud then? I still use word for school and work. Don't have a choice. Would love to use icloud exclusively for this.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
iCloud Photos will use up my storage, yet Flickr gives me 1TB free, full-res.
Granted, videos is limited there I think, but wow...

That feature is practically useless unless you're willing to fork over money.

Hey Tim, my Mac is always on, maybe that could be my server? No? Ah right, no money to be made there...

Synching options (lack of "synch everything" with an option of exclusions) could be brushed up a bit, too.

Other than that, iCloud Drive is nice, but with 5GB as base free model still just a "toss it over to a device and delete it from the cloud" feature for me personally.

Mail Drop sounds amazing, I didn't see mentioning of it for iOS?
Is this the continued lack of continuity albeit highlighting continuity? I hope not.
I have a friend in the Netherlands, passing around videos that are over 10 minutes is a pain in the ****.
It shouldn't be.
Mind you, private sharing, not youtubing it and most apps decrease quality or have strict limitations.

If that feature lands on iOS - chapeau!

Glassed Silver:mac

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It's all flat. Oh god. It's real people :eek:

I would not call that flat. Shadows are still there, but more subtle, and a lot of gaussian blurs. Buttons are still clearly demarcated, the menu bars and structure are retained (they even keep a slight hint of metal) and the icons are just as rich as ever. This is the style I was hoping to see with iOS 7, it looks a lot better than I anticipated, although it does need some more polish here and there.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
To me it's positive that Apple will dump something that's not working properly for something new.

This is not iDisk reinvented. This is Dropbox improved. Yes you may want to call iDisk 2.0, but it is significantly different.

I hated iDisk. It never worked properly for me. I love Dropbox and the later clones. If this new iCloud Drive works as well as Dropbox I will love it. I have desperately needed a way to backup my photos in the cloud. And this seems like it may be the way.

I am excited at the potential. Time will tell if it is fulfilled.

Last edited:

Identity Fraud

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
I am excited at the potential. Time will tell if it is fulfilled.

I'm starting to consider the ease of use of having a cloud drive with all my devices accessing the same core file system. It would help eliminate the duplication of files/revisions that get scattered throughout.

philipk

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
BTW

For those of you who might suggest that I could back up my iPhoto's in Dropbox or similar programs you can't. The Containers that Apple chooses to use does not allow that. I hate the containers but I love the Apple programs so I'm stuck with it.

This is why I am very excited with iCloud Drive.

----------

I'm starting to consider the ease of use of having a cloud drive with all my devices accessing the same core file system. It would help eliminate the duplication of files/revisions that get scattered throughout.

A very huge +1!

mdmorgan

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2014
IA
Price comparison.

Copy.com: Free: 20GB, Earn 5GB each invite.

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
"iCloud Drive"

or

"devs had lots of trouble using iCloud API, therefore we newly invented... well, just have some space and use it the old fashioned way."

Thx! Really!

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
I was hoping they'd offer a space bump on iCloud for free as i'm almost at 5gb with just iphone+ipad backups and htats with some apps set not to backup.

I got used to the temp space offered to MobileMe customers. Guess i'll be getting the new paid option.

I was also hoping we'd hear something about iTunes radio in the UK.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I love the concept of iCloud Drive. But I'm not happy with Apple's execution. That 5 GB of "free" storage comes with my iDevice -- and only one of those devices per account. I already get messages that I'm out of storage room just backing up my iPhone, never mind my iPad.

Since Apple devices come at a premium price, each one you buy should come with at least 5 GB of storage for free. iCloud should be an incentive to buy an Apple device, not an extra expense after you've bought one.

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
Price comparison.

I wish Apple would let us buy as many terabytes as we need. Then I could really start doing without external hard drives. Although I don't know if I'll ever fully trust cloud storage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.