Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Less than an hour after the end of the event, Apple has already posted video of today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote to its website. The video is also available on the "Apple Events" channel on the Apple TV.

wwdc_keynote_2014-800x449.jpg
Announcements at the event included:

- Apple Announces OS X Yosemite with Improved Cross-Device Connectivity and New User Interface
- Apple Announces iOS 8 with Interactive Notifications, QuickType, More

- Apple Announces 'iCloud Drive' and 'Mail Drop' Features for OS X Yosemite
- Apple Updates iMessage with Improved Group Messaging and Video and Audio Messages
- 'QuickType' Keyboard for iOS 8 Offers Context-Aware Predicitive Typing Suggestions
- iOS 8 to Include Support for System Wide Third-Party Keyboards
- Apple to Enhance App Store with 'Explore' Tab, App Bundles, Beta Testing, and More
- Apple to Discontinue Support for iPhone 4 in iOS 8
- Apple Announces Significant SDK Improvements with New 'Swift' Programming Language, CloudKit and More

Apple has also uploaded the "Apps We Can't Live Without" video to YouTube, which played before the keynote and showcases how users view developers and the apps they build.

Article Link: Video of Apple's WWDC 2014 Keynote Now Available

Bhatu

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2013
So fast.. Thats the Power of Mac Pro! :cool:

Last edited:

aa521490

macrumors regular
Dec 25, 2007
I figure I'd run errands during the live keynote and come back to watch it later. Thanks for the heads up.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
I watched it on my Apple TV and I have to say I was Impressed. Lots of new features which make our daily lives so much easier. Loved the continuity feature!

Was hoping for some hardware release and there was none :(

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
Hey Apple can you please get rid of the Dinosaur tech known as quicktime?

I want to listen to the keynote at work on my computer but can't because I can't download quicktime.

Already putting me in an anti-apple mood.

robertojorge

macrumors regular
May 6, 2014
Portugal
I watched it on my Apple TV and I have to say I was Impressed. Lots of new features which make our daily lives so much easier. Loved the continuity feature!

Was hoping for some hardware release and there was none :(

+1 :) Being able to continue working in whatever device is just great and answering or rejecting calls on the Mac while your phone is somewhere around the house just fantastic.

warriorz

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Wasn't the most exciting keynote. A lot for developers but consumers haven't really got much to talk about: 'evolutionary' springs to mind.

mad3inch1na

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
Considering there were no hardware announcements today, I am still pretty excited! The improvements are pretty interesting, and Metal especially is VERY interesting in terms of A-series computers. The main concern with the processor shift is that so many applications are designed for Intel processors, so this is a large step towards making ARM a player in the global computing market.

kushibo

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Honolulu, Hawaii
No AppleTV upgrade?

I'm in Hawaii, so I didn't get up to watch the keynote address, but from a cursory look at the various news items, it looks like no upgrade to the AppleTV was announced. Is that correct? I was waiting to buy one, just in case a new one was announced, but I guess I'll get the one they currently have.

the-msa

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2013
Solid, but a lot of features that android already has. Apple delivered, but failed to impress. It was ok.

kwokaaron

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013
London, UK
What's with Apple's efficiency today? The website for the OS X and iOS preview was up right at the end of the keynote, the Swift documentation is on iBooks already, the video for the keynote is up, the OS X beta program is updated for Yosemite sign-ups, heck even they even updated their youtube channel! Not complaining, hope they keep this up for all their events.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
:( no hardware release, I was hoping for AppleTV like many

Yes I would love to have seen some hardware also. But iOS 8 and Yosemite seems pretty amazing, so I'm happy :)

Cos iOS 8 launch this fall ? That means iPhone 6 this fall. Sooooo soon they will invite again and tell about new hardware :)

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
From the consumer level, it was a nice presentation. From the developer level, I would put this on the same level as the introduction of the iPhone.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Apple really impressed today. They've blown Windows 8 out of the water and given Android a run for it's money.

Can't believe some people in this forum are unimpressed.

----------

Solid, but a lot of features that android already has. Apple delivered, but failed to impress. It was ok.

You can send text messages from you Mac. You find this unimpressive?!

stevedun

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2012
The Continuity features looks really, really cool. I'm excited for those. Also, the third-party widgets for "Today" are long-overdue and welcome to the party. AirDrop being Mac-to-iOS compatible is big. All very cool updates.

Very disappointed, however, that Siri didn't make it to OSX. I'm quite confused as to why I can't enjoy those convenient features on my MacBook.

Equally disappointed that the aTV got nothing. I suppose, if new hardware is in the pipeline, it makes sense to hold off for another event, but I'm dying for the aTV to get an app store and SDK. Continuity + Swift and Playground in Xcode + an AppleTV app store... oh the possibilities....

randfee2

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2007
Germany
oh please quicktime.... how to enable fullscreen on this? lame to watch it in a letterbox 1/8th of he screen size, rescaling the content of the browser window does not help either.

:(

Pathetic, that apple doesn't even think of this, considering how much attention to detail they claim to spend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.