Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
good question. i have the beta installed and couldnt find it either. called apple and basically their responses were "what are you talking about?" and "we dont know"

First of all apple is not going to give you any support on ios8 period as long as it's in beta..

You know what third-party means? It means that it is something developed by someone other than Apple. They announced the feature less than five hours ago.. Even if they allowed third party keyboards on the app store before iOS 8 is officials released.. which they won't.. Do you really expect a developer to design, program, beta-test, submit to the app store, and have it approved in under five hours?? Get real!!!

virginblue4

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2012
United Kingdom
people like me work for companies that develop the apps people like you buy

developer support. betas arent supported, but dev support has access to all the new features they put on their member website. i thought i missed something there and wanted to make sure

I find that difficult to believe when you cannot seem to grasp the concept of a beta!

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
good question. i have the beta installed and couldnt find it either. called apple and basically their responses were "what are you talking about?" and "we dont know"

Seriously... you called them... for an unreleased third party app...

Some people really don't need access to the betas.

----------

So now that touchID is an API.Does this mean individual apps can be locked now?

Yes, as has always been the case.

thedeske

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2013
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but...

With the images Apple are using with iOS 8, there is a caller screen and it's the full picture, are full-screen caller pictures back?!?

Noticed in the quick keynote shot and on Apple's 8 page right now.
Hope it's true. Testers should confirm soon.

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA

Attachments

• IMG_1917.PNG
    IMG_1917.PNG
    54.4 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_1918.PNG
    IMG_1918.PNG
    49.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1919.PNG
    IMG_1919.PNG
    74.7 KB · Views: 424
  • IMG_1920.PNG
    IMG_1920.PNG
    32.2 KB · Views: 336

xIN FLAMES325x

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2013
my point is that they showed swype in the keynote and i was expecting it to already be available so apps can be tested using it

Topher227

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2012
Chicago, IL
Changes i've noticed...

...in the Settings app
- Show battery usage BY APP: General > Usage > Battery Usage
- Voice Activation: General > Siri
- Different Location Services options: Privacy > Location Services
- Different "System Services" location services: Privacy > Location Services > System Services
- Store/Delete Messages option: Messages >

...other places
Obviously the Bug Reporter and Health App
- I'd like to specifically mention that in the Health App, there is a way to make what Apple is calling your Medical ID. I can enter emergency contacts, allergies, etc, and this information can be used even when the phone is locked. I like this feature.... I remember having it on one of my old "Flip phone" LG's.

This is all I was able to figure out when I was at work... more to come when I get home!

Attachments

• IMG_0053.PNG
    IMG_0053.PNG
    93.4 KB · Views: 401
  • IMG_0055.PNG
    IMG_0055.PNG
    88.4 KB · Views: 860
  • IMG_0057.PNG
    IMG_0057.PNG
    125.5 KB · Views: 359
  • IMG_0058.PNG
    IMG_0058.PNG
    46.6 KB · Views: 696
  • IMG_0061.PNG
    IMG_0061.PNG
    32.3 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
my point is that they showed swype in the keynote and i was expecting it to already be available so apps can be tested using it

I don't imagine there's any need. Apps that accept keyboard input will work with any keyboard. It's the keyboard API's that need testing, and those will be tested by people developing keyboards.

jafingi

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2009
Denmark
- Smiley icon for emoji keyboard smileys instead of that globe
- New sun icons in Mission Control where you adjust brightness
- New photo picker when sending photos over Messages

Last edited:

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Love the naysayers who got on my case (and others) for posting about the need for this feature. HAH.

Seriously though, this is the main reason why I hadn't returned iPhone. This changes everything for me. It's not just Swype. There are other great keyboards out there (SwiftKey) which can now come over to Apple if they want.

Huge.

Defy burly agree here. Apple has me.back now as a costumer after 2 years on Android.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009
How long did it take everyone to update? I have an iPad Air, my UDID is registered on my dev account (not some random one from the web somewhere), but iTunes has been sitting at "preparing iPad for software update" for about 30 minutes now.

I am doing an update from 7.1.1, not a full restore.

Stupotpot

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2013
Newcastle Upon Tyne
How long did it take everyone to update? I have an iPad Air, my UDID is registered on my dev account (not some random one from the web somewhere), but iTunes has been sitting at "preparing iPad for software update" for about 30 minutes now.

I am doing an update from 7.1.1, not a full restore.

I've had to put my phone back in Restore mode and now trying again...! I have got Yosemite though and it looks very pretty!

SumYoungGai

macrumors 65816
Jun 11, 2013
SF Bay Area, CA
Double tapping the home button and accessing the multitasking page (the one with contacts and apps) is extremely fast now.
So is going to an app from that screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.