Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the release of Xcode 6 today after Worldwide Developer Conference, developers have found an option within Xcode to size apps for devices referred to as "Resizable iPhone" and "Resizable iPad", as pointed out by Mac4Ever [Google Translate]. The option is next to other Apple devices, including iPad Air, iPhone 5s, and iPad Retina.

resize.jpg

The options are likely to enable developers to start developing apps that fit on the rumored larger 4.7 and 5.5 inch screens of the iPhone 6 and, perhaps, the rumored 12-inch iPad Pro. Another photo of the Xcode simulator shows the difference between an app visually optimized for an older iPhone in what appears to be the resolution for one of the two iPhone 6 models.

It's not yet known what the exact resolutions are for the 4.7 and 5.5 inch iPhone 6 models or even the rumored 12-inch iPad Pro, but the "resizable" functionality would allow developers to explore building versions of their apps for larger screens that are currently available.

Article Link: Xcode 6 Allows Developers to Test Larger iPhone and iPad Screen Sizes

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
So this means that we can see what the built in apps look like at other resolutions, right, including, say, Springboard?

So we could mess around with that to see if Springboard adds additional rows and/or columns and whatnot when it's given different sizes. Maybe it'll also resize icons and stuff.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Would also be good for testing how your app looks in half-screen landscape.

Just in case that feature gets enabled in iOS 8 or a future release.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Tell devices it's resolution.

Sometimes, it'd be nice to tell my retina iPad to use a lower resolution, some graphical apps just display things WAY too small. (They read better on non-retina devices or sometimes even my iPhone!)

Gary

street.cory

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
SWEET!

Now I can develop for the iPhone 4S and the iPhone 5/5C/5S....

AT THE SAME TIME!

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
As a non-developer I hope I'm able to get the Yosemite beta sooner rather than later.

Msail30bay

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2014
Penn., USA
Oh sweet. I made a comment earlier about the possible iPhone 6 and realized that Apple had for two years now, have made "Special" Fall announcements in Sept. and October. So I guess that means the iPhone 6 and the possible iWatch……. ?????

niw3

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2012
As a non-developer I hope I'm able to get the Yosemite beta sooner rather than later.

They said there would be a public beta program for OSX. So you will get your Yosemite, no worries.

EDIT: public beta will be limited to the first 1M users. So be quick :)

Last edited:

Rz1138

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2014
Maybe for one-handed capability

Hmmm... how about resizing 4.7" or 5.5" screen to 4" to allow one-handed operation--maybe with an edge gesture or tilt-n-shake?

nightstalkerz

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2013
Looks like they're bringing at least 1 iPad feature to the iPhone.

This should be like the preferences/Mail app on the iPadbut for the iPhone.

The two view controllers can be arranged so that they are side-by-side, so that only one at a time is visible, or so that one only partially hides the other. In iOS 8 and later, you can use the UISplitViewController class on all iOS devices; in previous versions of iOS, the class is available only on iPad.

https://developer.apple.com/library...html#//apple_ref/occ/cl/UISplitViewController

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
Sometimes, it'd be nice to tell my retina iPad to use a lower resolution, some graphical apps just display things WAY too small. (They read better on non-retina devices or sometimes even my iPhone!)

Gary
Huh? iOS doesn't use pixel mapping, so I don't think this can be true. Apps are displayed exactly the same, whether it's retina or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.