Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
I have a 256 MB standard DIMM and personally added a 512 SODIMM for 768 RAM. I just bought another 512 to replace the 256 modual to max out my memory at 1024.

I heard replacing the 256 isn't easy & I should bring it into a shop for this. Is that true? I would need to find out how it's done if it's not that difficult.

When removing the 256 and replacing with the 512 will I loose anything? Does software need to be reloaded and everything backed up? :confused:

Thanks...

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
It's not hard as long as you are careful. You'll also need thermal paste and a razor, credit card, or business card to remove the old thermal paste. There are disassembly guides on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com to help.

You shouldn't need to touch the software when doing this. It is equivalent of adding the 512MB stick to the lower slot.

Rhobes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 28, 2004
Bigfork, MT
Thanks for the replies. The Apple link is only good for replacing the easy bottom 512. I did find an article on the other link which explains it all and will try it.;)

P.S. Where can I get the thermal paste, Radio Shack? any certain brand?

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
Radio Shack sells a tube for around $1.99 if I recall. I used the Radio Shack brand on mine.. No problems at all.

You might also want some compressed air. It's amazing how much dust gets in there and never leaves.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.