Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
I recently bought an Air and the previous cable I used for my external monitor is no longer working for the Air. Its a minidisplayport to hdmi cable and is able to output sound to my monitor. It won't for the Air and I bought a new cable from best buy thinking it was an old cable but the rocketfish cable i got doesn't output sound either.

Can anyone help or explain this?

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Assuming it's a newer Air (Late 2010 or newer model) it should work. Make sure you're choosing the HDMI device as your audio destination - hold Option key & click the Volume icon on the top menu bar to choose audio output.

Dany M

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Earth
It doesn't and going into system preferences doesn't giev me an option for it whatsoever.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Both my 2011 and 2013 MBA's work fine with a Rocketfish HDMI cable I got at Best Buy. Have tried it with two different TV sets. Have you tried using a different TV?

RawBert

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2010
North Hollywood, CA
What kind of display is it? Does it have built in speakers or are you passing the sound to something else?

You said the cable is no longer working. Did it work before on the same setup?

Try restarting your MBA with the cable plugged in at both ends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.