Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At an event at WWDC this evening, Apple announced the winners of its prestigious Apple Design Awards, highlighting an array of apps from utilities to games on both iOS and the Mac. Apple's Design Awards were created to recognize apps that combine design and technology in creative, compelling and powerful ways.

Along with significant recognition, Apple gives winners one of nearly every product it makes, including a new Mac Pro.

ada.jpg
iOS and Mac
- Threes [iOS]
- Leo's Fortune [iOS]
- Blek [iOS]
- Yahoo! News Digest [iPhone]
- Device 6 [iOS]
- Storehouse: Visual Storytelling [iPad]
- Sky Guide [iOS]
- Monument Valley [iOS]

- Day One [Mac]
- Cinemagraph Pro [Mac]

Student Winners
- PanoPerfect [iOS]
- Addimal Adventure [iPad]

2013 winners of the Apple Design Awards included Letterpress, Yahoo! Weather and Evernote. In 2012, winners included Jetpack Joyride, Paper and Sketch.

Thanks Lindsey!

Article Link: 2014 Apple Design Award Winners Announced: Threes, Sky Guide and Monument Valley Among Winners

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Blek should win an award for having the most Freudian icon…

icon.png

…fifth-grade boys may now take this time to nudge each other and whisper, "boobs".

dumastudetto

macrumors 601
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA
Some very worthwhile winners here. But people should remember these apps and award-winning experiences are only possible of the hardware and software innovations that Apple continues to bring to its platforms. Innovation and pioneering technologies from Apple that you just don't see anywhere else. So the successes we celebrate here should be shared equally between the developers and Apple.

GWX

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2013
Threes deserves it so much, what a phenomenal game. My heart aches a little every time someone comes to me and say: "Have you played this awesome game, 2048?" :mad:

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
I love Threes, Leo's Fortune, and Blek. Will check out the others.

But Monument Valley is the most beautiful gaming experience I've ever had.

dragje

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2012
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
I LOVE Day One, using it, well....daily :) It's brilliantly designed and leaves enough space to let me do just what I like to do: writing a small notice on daily basis. Some people complain about the lack of being able to put multiple pictures in it or video but I think that's just part of the concept, you can add multiple video's or pictures and lot's of text using Facebook of other platforms but Day One keeps it simple and simplistic and....private.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Blek should win an award for having the most Freudian icon…

icon.png

…fifth-grade boys may now take this time to nudge each other and whisper, "boobs".

someone did it first. Madonna pointy boob outfit style :)

Attachments

• new-5-2in-motorola-xt912a-spotted-running-android-4-4-3-benchmark-test.jpg
    new-5-2in-motorola-xt912a-spotted-running-android-4-4-3-benchmark-test.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 161

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
These design awards are a really good idea.

Congratulations to all the winners!

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Day One is wonderful. I used both the iOS and Mac app everyday.

So far I have only used the iOS version. I was hoping that they would come out with some sort of universal app so that I would not need to buy both. However, I think it is now time to jump on the bandwagon and get the Mac version.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
wonder if any are going on discount...I know in previous years the developer gave a thanks with a free or reduced price.

vladi

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
These awards are definite evidence that mobile world is all about entertainment consumption and a whole lot less about being productive and efficient.

Graphic content creation is still at the very basic header/headline/annotation level with ubber limited linear interactivity.

Only fields that are pushing the envelope are music vst companies turning tablets into production or creative controllers or specific medical apps that calculate the circumstances from text books for you.

RenoG

macrumors 65816
Oct 7, 2010
These awards are definite evidence that mobile world is all about entertainment consumption and a whole lot less about being productive and efficient.

Only fields that are pushing the envelope are music vst companies turning tablets into production or creative controllers or specific medical apps that calculate the circumstances from text books for you.

Theres nothing wrong with any of this, especially when you look at who the vast consumer base is, its in their best interest to support entertainment consumpution first and foremost as this is what most folk use their mobile devices for. Envelope pushing agree with you when it comes to creative controllers. I've had Beatmaker 2 for many months now and the program simply blows me away, I mean you can't get any closer to having a virtual MPC than this.

Megakazbek

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2011
Don't understand the hype about Monument Valley. Yes, the graphics and style is incredible, but otherwise it has virtually no gameplay and basically is just a visual demo.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.