Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

punger1165

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2013
sorry if mentioned but does anyone know if safari still reloads a page each time you go back to it? - annoying as hell if like me you open several pages to then go in and read later

Yes the pages still reload upon reopening them

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Was hoping for pdfs and other files.

Also, does search in messages still suck? i.e. requires loading messages dozens of times rather than taking you to the message you searched for

Not sure if you got a reply yet, but yes it still sucks. It will find the message you are looking for, but it will not take you to the place if it's not in the first screen of loaded messages.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Are you sure? Because I've known Yahoo to show wrong weather data for my city. For another city in India it even shows 'Sunny' with a sun at midnight (no it's not really that hot in India lol). The Weather Channel website however doesn't do any of this for the same cities.
Yup. In your case sounds like something was wrong somewhere in all of it.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Can anyone with iPhone please check if it's possible to schedule "Do Not Disturb" to specific days?

No it's still locked to a single 24 hour schedule. :-(

----------

Does anyone know will itouch will come with IOS8?
If by "itouch" you mean the iPod touch, then yes some people know it will come with iOS 8. When it is released to the public, the supported iPod Touches will receive the software update.

thelatinist

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2009
Connecticut, USA
On the Lock screen you click on Emergency, and then click on Medical ID. It gives the information you entered, plus it allows you to call the emergency contact that's been added.

Just want to confirm: even when the phone is locked, it is possible for anyone with physical access to your phone to call your emergency contacts (just as they are now able to call 911)? This is really the most essential feature of such an ICE app -- allowing emergency responders to contact your family even if you are incapacitated -- and I've not seen anyone yet explicitly confirm it.

Also, can anyone who's tested the feature tell me if there is a limit to the number of emergency contacts or other information one can add to the card? Or even post some screen shots of how one adds info and what the card looks like?

Thanks! This is a feature I've long wanted, and I'm (perhaps excessively) excited for it.

An aside: why do these apps always have the option to display your blood type? No emergency responder or hospital is going to give you type-specific blood based on what you write in an app: you'll get O-negative in an emergency until they've been able to perform the test for themselves. Hell, they don't even administer blood based on dog tag declarations in the Army: that's really just a quick way to identify donors when a specific blood type is needed. /rant

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This has always worked on iPhone. You can switch your phone off, the alarm will sound (if set).
Why not just try things out before posting false statements.
Sounds like you might want to try it out: set an alarm, power off the phone (as in completely turn it off), and then see if the alarm goes off.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
How does the medical card from the lock screen work? I haven't seen any screenshots of it. Or has it just not been implemented yet?

On the lock screen, if you click "emergency", as though you were making an emergency call before... the bottom left shows "Medical ID" which loads the users Medical Card (information that the user supplies. Emergency contacts, allergies, blood type, donor preference, medications etc.) I see this being a really helpful tool. When iOS 8 comes out I hope people educate users about this feature. The one drawback I see is that it asks people to include physical features (height, weight, eye colour etc). I bet some people will leave these fields blank or fill them with false information. That will leave first responders without enough information to ensure an unresponsive victim matches the Medical ID stored in the phone.

----------

I guess dashboard is gone in Yosemite? You must now use widgets inside dashboard?
You're in the iOS 8 thread.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
For the people who don't restart their phones very often...

"Touch ID requires your passcode ager 48 hours"

Just got that message. I was already annoyed about having to type it in every time I restart! I wish the passcode could be made optional when using Touch ID.

It's been this way since iOS 7.0

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Just want to confirm: even when the phone is locked, it is possible for anyone with physical access to your phone to call your emergency contacts (just as they are now able to call 911)? This is really the most essential feature of such an ICE app -- allowing emergency responders to contact your family even if you are incapacitated -- and I've not seen anyone yet explicitly confirm it.
Yes. From the lock screen:
1. Emergency in bottom right - Like you were dialling 911
2. Emergency Call loads as before - Bottom left shows *Medical ID
3. Pressing Medical ID loads your Medical Card and allows 1 touch dialing of any and all Emergency Contacts listed.
Also, can anyone who's tested the feature tell me if there is a limit to the number of emergency contacts or other information one can add to the card? Or even post some screen shots of how one adds info and what the card looks like?
I've already filled mine with personal information, so a screenshot isn't that helpful. It's basically the same thing as a contact card in Contacts.App only it includes related fields. I have 5 emergency contacts, and I believe i could add more.
You can add:
  • Medical Conditions
  • Medical Notes
  • Allergies & Reactions
  • Medications
  • Emergency Contacts
  • Birthdate
  • Blood Type
  • Organ Donar Declaration
  • Weight / Height / Eye Color
Thanks! This is a feature I've long wanted, and I'm (perhaps excessively) excited for it.

An aside: why do these apps always have the option to display your blood type? No emergency responder or hospital is going to give you type-specific blood based on what you write in an app: you'll get O-negative in an emergency until they've been able to perform the test for themselves. Hell, they don't even administer blood based on dog tag declarations in the Army: that's really just a quick way to identify donors when a specific blood type is needed. /rant
I think they include this information in the event of a major catastrophe. In a mass casualty situation, where O-negative is in limited or no supply, they might risk matching the blood a patient indicates if they are going to die without treatment?

----------

Is the Family sharing feature already out? Can´t find it in the App store nor with Spotlight.
And which apps can be already configured into the Health app?

Family Sharing is in Settings.app under "iCloud". I sent an invite to my wife, but she isn't on the iOS 8 beta and she didn't receive any notification to accept.

Health.App appears to be using the same protocol as Contacts/Calendars/Photos/Etc. In that developers will have to request permission to interact with Health.App. Until we see apps released that include this request, there are no apps that can be currently configured into Health.app (unless you're coding one).

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
I thought this was worth mentioning in this thread as well:

1. When predictive type is turned ON the shortcut for double tapping the Space bar to get a "." Is not working.

2. In addition to being able to turn off Predictive Type you can also just hide it by swiping down on the gray bar that shows the words.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 328

adamtj11

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2011
Belfast
Don't know if anyone else has noticed, but swiping up for control centre while the keyboard is also open no longer results in multiple incorrect key presses. :cool:

Dino F

Suspended
Sep 16, 2010
Croydon, South London, UK

1. When predictive type is turned ON the shortcut for double tapping the Space bar to get a "." Is not working.

2. In addition to being able to turn off Predictive Type you can also just hide it by swiping down on the gray bar that shows the words.

......apologies as this has already been mentioned but I quite like the smiley icon for the emojis (as shown in your image) better than the current globe icon we have in iOS7!!

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
......apologies as this has already been mentioned but I quite like the smiley icon for the emojis (as shown in your image) better than the current globe icon we have in iOS7!!

I noticed that if you add an additional keyboard the icon switches back to the globe as before.

fastthumbs

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2003
Apple Store app shortcut on lock screen

Here's a new one: if you have the Apple Store app installed, and you're in (or near) an Apple Store, iOS displays a camera-style pullup shortcut to the app on the lock screen.

Attachments

• IMG_7595.PNG
    IMG_7595.PNG
    137.1 KB · Views: 758

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York

Ohh... That would be bad I use that all the time

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
One of the little things that I want to be taken care of is this little line in quick reply

Attachments

• sdf.JPG
    sdf.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 14,944

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I don't know it has been mentioned yet, but Safari has now support for WebGL.

Good catch. I noticed the HTML5 score was up a bit, but didn't realize that it was partly because webGL was now supported.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.