Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram received a significant update today, adding 10 new creative tools to the app to put it on par with more robust image editing apps. Users will now be able to manipulate and adjust brightness, contrast, warmth, saturation, highlights, and shadows.
When you go to select a filter, you'll now see a new wrench icon. Tap it and you'll find a tray of photo editing tools ready for you to explore. You can also now adjust how much of a filter you apply to a photo by double tapping the filter icon.
There's also a new adjustment tool for cropping and straightening photos at the same time, as well as a vignetting tool for darkening the edges of a photo. Sharpen is designed to make photos clearer, while each filter will now be adjustable by strength to produce a range of new looks for pictures.

instagram6.jpg
Here's a full rundown of the new tools:

- Adjust: Crops and straightens at the same time.
- Brightness: Lightens or darkens a photo.
- Contrast: Brightens light areas, darkens dark areas further.
- Highlights: Lightens or darkens the lighter areas of the image.
- Shadows: Lightens or darkens the darker areas of the image.
- Sharpen: Subtly enhances the crispness of an image to make it clearer.
- Saturation: Increases the color intensity of an image.
- Warmth: A slider that allows for adjustments towards warm orange tones or cool blue tones.
- Vignette: Darkens the edges of a photo to highlight the center of the image.
- Filter Strength: Sliders that adjust how strong each filter will appear (includes Borders).

According to Instagram co-founder Kevin Systrom, who spoke to Re/code, the goal isn't to complicate Instagram, but to improve image editing tools without removing focus from the main product.
"We are aiming to make the core better, creating more of an ecosystem," he said "Everyone can build a photo app, but not everyone can build a community."
Instagram's new tools, particularly the ability that allows images to be adjusted by filter strength, will allow for a whole new photo editing experience for users. The update is available immediately from the App Store.

Instagram can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Receives Major Update With New Image Manipulation Tools

Eddy Munn

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2008
Just don't post any topless photos, and you'll be A-Ok.
Visually though, the app is looking great!

MalcolmJID

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2005
England
Interestingly, shows up in my iTunes, but not as an update on the phone. But going to the App Store shows V6.0.0. Odd.

jundi93

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2013
Jordan
The update is not available :S it shows version 6 on the store but no update.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 173

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
The update is not available :S it shows version 6 on the store but no update.

ive seen this with a lot of app updates lately shows new version of the app along with the release notes but the update is not available.. eventually shows up minutes later.

HRPufnstuf

macrumors member
May 17, 2014
Nunya
The App Store is a hot mess lately. Even deleting it and redownloading gives you the old version but shows up in the updates as an updated app as of today.

BrentD

macrumors 6502
Jun 25, 2010
https://www.behance.net/gallery/16765377/Panogram-for-Instagram-a-new-Panorama-feature-concept

I created this concept for a Panorama feature integrated into Instagram and I so would love to see this in a future update.

Tired of seeing those awesome panoramas being destroyed by either cropping or shrinking them to fit....!
Was JUST having a discussion about this on Sunday with some fellow iPhone users as one was taking a panoramic pic. My concept was video-based in that you have an app that takes your panoramic photo and creates a video of it that pans completely from one side to the other twice in 15 seconds, with the speed dictated by how wide the pano is. Using the motion processor in the iPhone would be a better way like your idea.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
Sometimes I miss Instagram but no way I'm going back on using a Facebook-owned app.

MacSince1990

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2009
I had to search for Instagram in the App store rather than it showing up as an update, but it works fine.

On the other hand, don't worry too much; I doubt the world will suffer too much from the hour or so delay and our lack of ability to tweak our Instagram photos.

HRPufnstuf

macrumors member
May 17, 2014
Nunya
I had to search for Instagram in the App store rather than it showing up as an update, but it works fine.

On the other hand, don't worry too much; I doubt the world will suffer too much from the hour or so delay and our lack of ability to tweak our Instagram photos.

Yes it's showing 6.0 in the search but actually downloads the old version.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
tried closing the app store and restarting my phone. still not showing up as available to download.

HRPufnstuf

macrumors member
May 17, 2014
Nunya
For those who care. If you delete the app then sign out of the App Store.
Without signing back in redownload the app you'll get the new version.

LordQ

Suspended
Sep 22, 2012
So you're depriving yourself of enjoyment to prove something to Facebook? How's that working out for you?

Oh, no, I'm not proving Facebook anything. Actually I'm quite happy and relieved. I only find myself being distracted by MacRumors and Twitter now :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.