Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple appears to have ceased using data from Yahoo for its Weather app in iOS 8, instead getting weather information directly from The Weather Channel. iPhones running iOS 8 have a slightly revamped weather app that pulls its information from The Weather Channel, whereas previously, weather information was obtained through Yahoo.

weatherinfo.jpg
Yahoo's weather information, however, was also supplied by The Weather Channel (TWC), so it seems that Apple has opted to cut out Yahoo as a go-between. The switch from Yahoo to TWC is a bit surprising given reports of ongoing talks between Yahoo and Apple over ways to more deeply integrate Yahoo services into iOS apps. While it is unclear if those plans have been scrapped, an April report suggested Yahoo was aiming to revamp its mobile search platform with the hopes of being iOS's default search engine.

While the source of the data Apple uses is ultimately the same, there are differences in the underlying technology supporting the weather data between the two services. Because of that, the data presented to the end user may be slightly different even though Yahoo also obtained its data from TWC.

In addition to using TWC as a source for weather data, the iPhone's weather app is now displaying a nine day weather forecast, up from the previous five day forecast. There's also a new weather summary at the bottom of the app, noting the current weather conditions along with conditions for the rest of the day.

The new Weather app within iOS 8 is currently available to registered developers. The general public will get access to the operating system this fall, after beta testing has been completed.

Article Link: iOS 8 Ditches Yahoo Weather for Content From The Weather Channel

richeyty

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2013
Probably to make it more accurate? I don't know, this makes no sense to me.

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
I think Ryan nails it because even if Yahoo is getting their info from TWC, I never find their info as reliable as the one from TWC app. And I live in LA so it's not as if we're some obscure city.

16Paws

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2014
Vicious Cycle

I'm glad they changed... but then again Yahoo's App gets their data from Weather Underground which is owned by The Weather Channel... so I guess it is just a branding shift as the data is probably still coming from the same location.

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
How about radar?

If the default weather app had that, I could ditch the others.

AnthonyVSilva

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2014
Texas, US
I think Ryan nails it because even if Yahoo is getting their info from TWC, I never find their info as reliable as the one from TWC app. And I live in LA so it's not as if we're some obscure city.

Agreed. Weather was always a little off and would always be different from what the app provided.

lodolfo

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2013
What a shame... now how am I going to know what the weather is NOT going to be like?

If Yahoo! says it will be sunny today, I take it as a guarantee that it will be anything but sunny today. Can The Weather Channel give me that reliability? I think not!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
My problem with the built-in Yahoo/Weather app was the incessant attempts to hijack the default search engine.

No, I don't want to change my search engine to Yahoo.

I use the WeatherBug app for radar images, though their "hourly" forecasts aren't terribly dependable -- especially wind speed is almost always understated.

Deelron

macrumors regular
Jan 30, 2009

This, it was always strange that the apps didn't match each other yet the source was the same.

ElZeus

macrumors regular
May 26, 2008
I'm so glad they cut out Yahoo. They've been running some extreme clickbait titles on their main page as of late.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Regardless of where the weather data comes from, I'm glad that they've made better use of the screen. The current app wastes space showing the city, current conditions, and temperature in the upper half. With this change, there's room for more forecast days.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
How about radar?

If the default weather app had that, I could ditch the others.

That's the only reason I use alternatives as well....really silly not to have a radar in the default.

If I need a temp reading, I go to the notification center. If I need anything else, I go to the Yahoo Weather App. Although TWC has done a nice job revamping their app....the ads killed it before.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Maybe that's why Yahoo gave them an ADA, as a consolation prize. ;)

That's the only reason I use alternatives as well....really silly not to have a radar in the default.

I think Apple would have a much different perspective on this if they didn't live in Southern California.

Cancelled
Nov 8, 2011
So does this include the usual "Weather Channel Sensational Headlines!" with it as well? The Weather channel actually used to be ... useful.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I wish it had radar. I use it a lot for when I'm planning a day since weather here changes on the fly.

I currently use the Yahoo weather app since it has all of this built into a sleek interface.

suprakc

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2013
Utah
Thank Goodness. Yahoo weather is always a little off, IMO, in my area.

I tend to use the weather channel app, as it is more accurate, but it will sure be nice to have it as the standalone weather app - which is nice and clean.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.