Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

During yesterday's keynote, Apple packed a ton of information on iOS 8 into a short period of time, showing off a multitude of new features like interactive notifications, QuickType predictive text, enhancements to group messages, new family sharing options, and more.

Given the time constraints, many new iOS 8 changes went under the radar and while we detailed a few of these yesterday, now that iOS 8 has been downloaded on thousands of developer devices, even more minor additions to the operating system have come to light. Our forum members and iOS 8 users on Twitter have detailed a huge number of the new changes, and we've catalogued the more interesting improvements below.

Share sheet customizations - When sharing an image, website, or other type of media, users can now customize their sharing options. The list of apps where content can be shared can be rearranged and disabled, as can the media options like Copy, Print, and AirPlay. Some sheet icons also have a new look that eliminates the black border in iOS 7.

sharescreen.jpg
Request desktop site in Safari - As noted by a Twitter user, Safari now includes an option to "Request Desktop Site," which will load the desktop version of a site rather than the mobile version.

requestdesktop.jpg
Time-Lapse mode for Camera - The Camera app has gained a new Time-Lapse mode, which captures a series of images and then compiles them into a time-lapse video. There are also new manual exposure controls, which allow exposure to be selected when taking a photo, and a self-timer mode that can be set for three or 10 seconds.

timelapse.jpg
DuckDuckGo search - Users can now opt to select DuckDuckGo as their default search option in Safari. DuckDuckGo is known for its anti-tracking stance, opting not to profile its users.

iBooks - iBooks now comes preinstalled on iOS devices with iOS 8. Previously, it was a separate download in the App Store. There's also a new auto night mode and an organization option to group books from a series together.

Messages - Along with several improvements to group message management, there are now options to remove stored messages after a set period of time of 30 days or one year, which will allow users who have extensive iMessage threads to free up valuable space. When adding an image to a message, there's a new feature displaying recent photos for quick insertion.

messages.jpg
Photos - The Photos app has received new organizational options, including two albums for "Recently Added" and "Recently Deleted." The Recently Deleted section temporarily displays images that have been removed from the app in case of accidental deletion. The date and time a photo was taken is also displayed.

timelapsedelete.jpg
WiFi Calling - iOS will include an option for WiFi calling, allowing users to place calls over WiFi instead of cellular when connected to a WiFi network, saving minutes and data. Several carriers, including T-Mobile, have already announced support for the feature.

Grayscale mode - There are several new Accessibility options, including a new "Grayscale" mode that shifts the entire operating system into shades of black and white. There's also Improved Zoom option.

grayscaleios8.jpg
Keep up with all of the new changes introduced with iOS 8 on our forums, where our readers are discussing and sharing a seemingly endless number of feature enhancements and tweaks in the "iOS 8, All The Little Things" thread.

Article Link: iOS 8 Tidbits: Time-Lapse Mode, Request Desktop Site, and Grayscale Mode, and More

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Request desktop site will be massively helpful when dealing with easily distracted servers:

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Grayscale mode could be interesting if it allows a dramatic improvement in battery life.

I doubt it, unless there's a significant difference in backlight usage.

I'm happy for request desktop site. It's one of the few reasons I'll jump over to Chrome on my phone.

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
Wifi calling (if implemented by AT&T) will be a godsend! We get no cell signal at work. Our coworkers with T-Mobile and Samsung phones already enjoy this feature.

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
Grayscale mode could be interesting if it allows a dramatic improvement in battery life.

Haha because displaying gray pixels requires less power than color ones? It's about how bright the backlight is, not the color of the lcd pixels!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
so i wont be able to delete iBooks? ugh off to the "apple trash" folder you go (thx god there r pages within folders since ios7)

rusty2192

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2008
Kentucky
I really hope the "request desktop" button works. The only thing worse than a poorly designed mobile website is a poorly designed mobile website that doesn't offer a way to the real website. Atomic Web Browser used to be good about tricking sites, but it has apparently been abandoned by the developer, so now I'm stuck being screwed by bad web developers/designers.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
What does it mean several carriers? What are they? T-Mobile is only one carrier. I guess AT&T and friends realized they could alleviate much of the pain and congestion on their networks by letting people make wifi calls or have they. LOL! SMDH! T-Mobile wants my business and I may have to give it to them.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Anyone else notice the new "extensions" pane in system preferences on Yosemite?

Anyone else have System 7 extension conflict flashbacks? :eek:

I am sure it is very different, but still…

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
Anybody know if you can apply those photo effects (adjustments) demoed during the keynote to video too???

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Love, love, love the request desktop site feature! Never thought we'd get that. :eek:

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Request Desktop Version was one of the reasons I kept using Chrome on iOS. I need it almost daily. This is a dry welcome addition.
(Especially since moving to the iOS 8 DP, Chrome won't stay open for very long)

smizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Auto-night mode in iBooks sounds nice. I wish they would add an auto-lock in portrait mode option too since that's the only app I consistently use that way...

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008
The photos app is a big disappointment for me in its current iteration. I have a lot events in iPhoto on my Mac that disappeared in photos. When I did try to resync them, it just bunched them all together under the recently added section.

I understand that iPhoto for iOS isn't supported yet, but I am hoping that there is a way to communicate to iPhoto on the desktop as the beta process matures. I am guessing that they will probably make you have iPhoto on iOS to see iPhoto on Mac events.

Photos is the biggest reason why I downgraded back to iOS 7. That and the fact that quick reply is useless for me since I have message preview turned off. No point in quick replying to something that I have no idea what the message is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.