Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
I'm on both iOS 8 and Yosemite - continuity isn't working.

SMSs across everything (iPad and Mac) have worked flawlessly - no fiddling or anything (very Apple-like).

Phone calls, on the other hand, were very temperamental - understandable as these are betas, but I at least could get it to work by simply doing it a number of times. Still, no fiddling, just more tries.

However, "Hand off" for emails, websites, and ANYTHING (I've even installed all the iWork - Pages, Keynote, Numbers - betas on my iOS devices) don't work. Nothing. No light at the end of the tunnel. Is it working for anyone else (and if so, did you do anything to get it to work) or is it just a "beta issue"?

Thanks.

What Mac/iOS device models are you using?

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL

SMSs across everything (iPad and Mac) have worked flawlessly - no fiddling or anything (very Apple-like).

Phone calls, on the other hand, were very temperamental - understandable as these are betas, but I at least could get it to work by simply doing it a number of times. Still, no fiddling, just more tries.

However, "Hand off" for emails, websites, and ANYTHING (I've even installed all the iWork - Pages, Keynote, Numbers - betas on my iOS devices) don't work. Nothing. No light at the end of the tunnel. Is it working for anyone else (and if so, did you do anything to get it to work) or is it just a "beta issue"?

Thanks.

Same here. SMS works great. Can't get any of the other features to work yet though.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point

Thanks.

Isn't working for anyone

NSeven

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2009
Scotland

Thanks.

I have exactly the same issues, when i try to call the window appears in the top right and disappears almost instantly, handover does not work, SMS works fine though. Also when i tether i do not see my phones signal strength as in the screenshots..

CrEsTo

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2006
Australia
This is feature available for Devs? If so, how can we activate this feature?

I'm using iOS 8 on my iPhone + Yosemite but can't see where to activate Continuity.

ciphershort

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
As to how it works, it probably works the same way the iDevices can find Apple TVs via Bluetooth. The iDevice "discovers" other compatible devices via Bluetooth, and polls the device for its IP address on the network. From there it can create a session with the nearby device directly over IP. It's a genius use of Bluetooth and saves wonders of work arounds for us enterprise network guys.

penajmz

macrumors 68040
Sep 11, 2008
New York City
Is Continuity working for anyone? Calls and Sms are working but nothing else. I have a rMBP 10.10 and iPhone 5s iOS 8.

agsmith87

macrumors newbie
Aug 1, 2012
Adelaide, Australia
What Mac/iOS device models are you using?

Just got it to work between iPad Air and iPhone 5... Note, I've only managed an email draft and webpage in Safari... And Safari seems to always show (on the other device) even when I don't have it opened but anyway...

Can't get it to work between the Mac and iOS device though. There's a setting for Handoff in System Preferences, General, but I've had that on the entire time... Anyway, I've got a 2012 Macbook Air, so maybe it's too old... Didn't think less than 2 years would be old, but hey...

sonicstorm

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Is Continuity working for anyone? Calls and Sms are working but nothing else. I have a rMBP 10.10 and iPhone 5s iOS 8.

I didn't have a problem getting SMS to work, but nothing else seems to work. When I attempt to call someone from Contacts in OSX, I see a faint window flash at the top right of the screen, but that's it. No indication anywhere that handoff is occurring for things like e-mail or safari tabs.

I have Yosemite on a 2013 Macbook Air and iOS 8 on a iPhone 5.

Edit: Every time I chose "call" on a contact, it appears to be launching the FaceTime app which either quickly closes or crashes.

Last edited:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

Thanks.

Probably some kinks to work out while it's in beta.

joshuaclinton

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2014
Handoff isn't working for me either. I can receive SMS on MBP, but can't send SMS and MBP/iPhone doesn't show up when composing e-mails, etc (I have the handoff setting turned on under System Preferences). I'm running late 2013 rMBP and iPhone 5S so I KNOW that my system isn't too old for it...

T-Will

macrumors 65816
Sep 8, 2008
Does sending an SMS from OSX simply use your iPhone as a proxy? Does SMS from OSX still count against your plan's messaging limit?

Suspended
Jul 18, 2011
I can almost guarantee you'll need a system with Bluetooth 4.0, which means I won't be able to use it on my 2009 MBP...time to get serious about saving up for a new machine.

Or you could buy a BT4 dongle I've just ordered one on amazon for 20 bucks

nchamow

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Email attachments in iOS 8?

Does iOS 8 support attaching documents via iCloud drive?

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
Or you could buy a BT4 dongle I've just ordered one on amazon for 20 bucks

No dongle will ever disgrace my computer.:p

There are plenty of features that justify my upgrading after 5 years, I'd like to be able to use things like Airplay at home. Retina is really what I'm after. BT 4.0 just sweetens the deal. :)

iOrbit

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
Can someone tell me if i have the necessary hardware to enjoy Handoff and continuity?

i have:

iPad 2
MacBook Pro 15" & iMac 27" (both 2011 models, late 2011 for MBP)
and iPhone 4S.

i think my macs aren't bluetooth 4.. if they arent, can i simply buy a bluetooth 4 dongle for them both?

does my iPhone 4S have bluetooth 4?

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I just want FaceTime to ring on preferred devices when I'm home at the moment all three ipad iPhone and MacBook ring at once, kind of annoying. F you could select preference when on the same network or something, this would be great

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.