Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 8 introduces a new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature that will allow iOS devices to stream content to the Apple TV without the need for a shared network connection. Currently, an iOS device must be on the same WiFi network as an Apple TV, which can make it a hassle to use AirPlay when away from home.

airplay.jpg
The new feature is described on Apple's iOS 8 enterprise preview page, as delinking AirPlay from WiFi will make it far easier for people to use AirPlay in classrooms and businesses that may have complicated networks.
With iOS 8, you can wirelessly connect iPad, iPhone, or iPod touch to Apple TV without first connecting to the organization's network. Which means you can present or share your work even if you're offline or the organization has a complex network.
With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.

Apple's new peer-to-peer AirPlay feature and the iOS 8/Yosemite video capturing capabilities will be available to the public this fall, following the official launch of iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite.

Article Link: iOS 8 Introduces Peer-to-Peer AirPlay Playback, Easy iOS to Mac Screen Capture

landroverz7

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Nice, now hurry up Apple and release Apple TV 4 with built in 16GB storage, App store, A8 chip, 802.11ac, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0 port and mkv/avi support. Yes I am dreaming haha

MacSlut

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2002
Bar
Nice, now hurry up Apple and release Apple TV 4 with built in 16GB storage, App store, A8 chip, 802.11ac, gigabit ethernet, usb 3.0 port and mkv/avi support. Yes I am dreaming haha

Apple will never directly support mkv, but hopefully with an app store, that would be filled by 3rd parties.

I was so sad to see no Apple TV announcement at WWDC 2014. I don't see them announcing any 3rd party developer support for the Apple TV unless it's at WWDC, so we've got at least another year to go.

It's so sad after seeing what Amazon has done with the Fire TV.

cariacou

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
... So anyone walking by my house could stream Rebecca Black to my Apple TV ? :eek:

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
The new feature is described on Apple's iOS 8 enterprise preview page, as delinking AirPlay from WiFi will make it far easier for people to use AirPlay in classrooms and businesses that may have complicated networks.With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.

And with that, my daughter will start posting twice as many "Watch me play" Minecraft videos... (If she had a way to record from the Xbox 360, it would triple.)

sik08amg

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2012
Tampa, FL
So correct me if I'm wrong but can I stream to my tv/atv with no networks even available? If so this is huge for me at work.

So correct me if I'm wrong but can I stream to my tv/atv with no networks even available? If so this is huge for me at work.

This is what I'm hoping. But there was a very similar feature a month ago (which didn't actually do that) so I'm not holding my breath.. I want it so I can bring my Apple TV to locations with no wifi and airplay netflix from my unlimited iPhone data plan... This would have come in handy just a few weeks ago... But no, my iPhone can't even feaking use the remote app without being on the same network...

Parasprite

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2013

What on earth would you do with 16 GB of storage? Store like 3 movies?...

mkv/avi support

I can barely get mkv to work in VLC without crashing... On the other hand, iFlicks 2 can convert ~30mins 1080p mkv to m4p in about 2 minutes on a Mac Mini (apparently they frequently already use h264 anyways, so it needs little work), the upshot is that it now works in iTunes/ATV and doesn't crash VLC anymore.

Avi is another whole 'nother can of worms...

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
Interesting.. previously did all traffic go through the Wifi router? If so, then the new approach might help reduce the latency in Airplay mirroring for gaming. Would be good to find out.

grblade

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2010
My hunch is that this is to reduce lag when gaming with Airplay and has something to do with the game controller announcement.

daye

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2013
anyone tried to capture video from an IOS device ?

=================================================
With iOS 8, Apple will also make it easier to capture video from an iOS device directly on a Mac. As described by our sister site TouchArcade, an iOS 8 device plugged in to a Mac will show up as a camera, which can have its screen recorded in QuickTime. This feature is designed for developers to create app previews, but end users will also be able to use the function to record their device screens with iOS 8 and Yosemite.
================================================

I have OS X Yosemite and IOS 8 on phone 4S. when I connect the iPhone 4S to the MAC, it automatically launch Image Capture and get message " No Camera or scanner detected"

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
When it works, it's awesome.

Apple need to improve airplay stability if they want more business use.

never had any problems so far... even my diskstation airplays videos to it without problems, even if its not an apple device.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
I have OS X Yosemite and IOS 8 on phone 4S. when I connect the iPhone 4S to the MAC, it automatically launch Image Capture and get message " No Camera or scanner detected"

Probably needs a newer phone than the 4S. (Just a guess, I don't have iOS 8, so I can't test.)

----------

Is it done through bluetooth or what..

No, it uses WiFi - it just makes a direct device-to-device WiFi connection. It likely uses Bluetooth "iBeacons" to discover each other, though.

acuriouslad

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2008
Australia
Yosemite too?

Will macs running Yosemite be able to screen share directly too? I presume this would solve a lot of stuttering issues. It would also make it quick and easy for presentations and possibly even make video via airplay screen sharing possible.

Sol

macrumors 68000
Jan 14, 2003
Australia
I hope that direct device to Apple TV connections will mean less lag, so that Apple TV gaming can become viable.

Giro413

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2014
Airplay for Spotify and browsers, please

At the moment I am using Airfoil to stream from Spotify, Youtube, and any other program on my Mac that I want to listen to sound from.
Why don't Apple allow for Airplay streaming from anything else than iTunes? Now that they are changing how Airplay works, why not give us what we really need :confused:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
AVI is an old and outdated container which no one should use these days. MKV would be nice though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.