Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aebloomfield

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 3, 2014
So I want to install Yosemite but I actually have to use my windows bootcamp partition for work. Will Yosemite effect windows or not because its a separate partition? I'm using a 2012 retina mbp. Thanks!

Hugh

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2003
Erie, PA
So I want to install Yosemite but I actually have to use my windows bootcamp partition for work. Will Yosemite effect windows or not because its a separate partition? I'm using a 2012 retina mbp. Thanks!

Because this is a beta, I would suggest not installing on any mission critical machine. In otherwise since you need your bootcamp, I wouldn't install, because it could (I'm not saying it will, but it could) destroy your bootcamp partition.

Hugh

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.

I can no longer access my Boot Camp partition from the boot screen, even though Yosemite was installed on a separate partition to Mavericks.

If i go to Settings > Startup Disk. It's still available to boot into (though I haven't tried that yet).

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

I had no issues accessing my Bootcamp partition after upgrading to Yosemite, but I'm also running Windows 8.1 on it. Your experience might be different if you're running an older version of the OS.

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
Beta software is not meant for production, mission critical, or your only computer. It is a pretty good bet the people doing this are not developers.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK

In theory it should have no effect, as bootcamp makes no reference to the running installation of OS X

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
I installed Yosemite DP1 on a separate partition and nevertheless can`t access my Bootcamp-partition which I badly need for work:mad:
If any of you has an idea how to solve it I would be very grateful!

Last edited:

iPhail

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2014
I installed Yosemite DP1 on a separate partition and nevertheless can`t access my Bootcamp-partition which I badly need for work:mad:
I any of you has an idea how to solve it I would be very grateful!

I have the same problem but to be honest (Windows 8.1 EFI installation), I did so many partition changes that I think caused my entire EFI partition to be rebuilt by OS X. Bootcamp didn't show up at the boot menu. :(
However, OS X Finder showed the Bootcamp partition still exists.

What I did was I followed this guide here: http://www.fixedbyvonnie.com/2013/12/how-to-repair-the-efi-bootloader-in-windows-8/

Now note, this is command line stuff and not very user friendly.

1. Get thumb drive. Format it to FAT32 and MBR partition scheme.
2. Dump all files from the Windows 8/8.1 ISO/setup/disc into the thumb drive.

OR use the thumb drive Bootcamp installer generated for you

3. Keep the thumb drive plugged in, restart your mac, hold option/alt and do an "EFI Boot"
4. When you see the Language selection screen, press Shift+F10.
5. Now in the command prompt, follow their instructions.
6. Take note that your EFI partition may or may not be "vol 3" and your Bootcamp partition may or may not be mounted as C:\
7. I didn't do this step "bootrec /fixboot" as OS X could boot so the EFI partition wasn't corrupt.
8. Followed the other steps, and now Mavericks, Yosemite, Windows 8.1 are all happily booting :)

brand

macrumors 601
Oct 3, 2006
I any of you has an idea how to solve it I would be very grateful!

Why did you install the Developer Preview, which is not even considered Beta yet, on a mission critical computer? You are obviously not a developer and downloaded a pirated copy.

Another case of Just Desserts.

bennibeef

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2013
Well, I dont know if this was caused by the same thing for you guys with bootcamp, but I installed Yosemite on a external SSD. Started the install process from within Mavericks and used the seperate volume.

The Mac restartet and booted the install process for Yosemite, worked fine used it then I needed to go back to work and boot into Mavericks. Well shut down Yosemite started again (holding alt) and Mavericks wasnt there anymore - huh

Shut down disconnected the external SSD booted again - booted me direct to the installer again. Started again with alt - no Mavericks.

Booted into the installer - In disk utility Mavericks was still there - In the menu "boot another partiton" (or something like that) I was able to select Mavericks and it booted fine and it does since then. Maybe you guys have a smiliar problem with the bootcamp partition

peregrines

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2010
Well, I dont know if this was caused by the same thing for you guys with bootcamp, but I installed Yosemite on a external SSD. Started the install process from within Mavericks and used the seperate volume.

The Mac restartet and booted the install process for Yosemite, worked fine used it then I needed to go back to work and boot into Mavericks. Well shut down Yosemite started again (holding alt) and Mavericks wasnt there anymore - huh

Shut down disconnected the external SSD booted again - booted me direct to the installer again. Started again with alt - no Mavericks.

Booted into the installer - In disk utility Mavericks was still there - In the menu "boot another partiton" (or something like that) I was able to select Mavericks and it booted fine and it does since then. Maybe you guys have a smiliar problem with the bootcamp partition

The very same thing happened to me ... nevertheless with Bootcamp it seems to be a slightly different story!
I managed to "workaround" by using winclone. Just cloned the bootcamp-partition to an external drive and back again ... its working!

----------

Why did you install the Developer Preview, which is not even considered Beta yet, on a mission critical computer? You are obviously not a developer and downloaded a pirated copy.

Another case of Just Desserts.

You seem to be very well informed about me ... oh! And thank you for the constructive help!!!!

----------

Beta software is not meant for production, mission critical, or your only computer. It is a pretty good bet the people doing this are not developers.

We really have been waiting for your comments!!!

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
If any of you has an idea how to solve it I would be very grateful!

Same here. Though if I go into system settings > startup disk, the windows 7 partition is listed there as being available.

dmccloud

macrumors 68030
Sep 7, 2009
Anchorage, AK

I did an upgrade install of Mavericks to Yosemite on a Mac with Bootcamp set up and it left the Bootcamp partition untouched. Seems like the only cases where people are having issues are when Yosemite is installed into a new partition of its own.

jlsm511

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
KMIA
I created a third partition (Mavericks, Yosemite and Windows 8.1 via Boot Camp) and haven't had any issues.

Go Banana

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2014
I have a similar issue where after loading, Yosemite onto a new partition, my boot camp Windows 8 won't boot and my Mavericks partition now suffers some sort of strange graphical tearing and stuttering during scrolling or OS animations of any sort. I know it is super beta software, but honestly I wasn't expecting it to hose my two other separate partitions.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
Just use wi lone to make an image of your windows partition before you install Yosemite. Then it doesn't matter if anything goes wrong because you can just create a new partition and restore the image. Sorry, not that helpful for people who are already stuck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.