Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Keyboard developer Fleksy today announced that the company has its iOS keyboard alternative running on iOS 8. Apple revealed earlier this week during its WWDC 2014 keynote that iOS 8 will support the system wide implementation of these third-party keyboards.

fleksy-ios8.jpg
An alternative to a traditional keyboard, Fleksy boasts improved typing speeds through the use of automated word suggestions and a sophisticated autocorrect engine that corrects errors on the fly. It also incorporates a gesture system that lets users complete common tasks like inserting spaces and punctuation through swipes.

Fleksy tweeted a screenshot of its keyboard on iOS 8, along with an invitation for users to register for a preview of its iOS 8 keyboard app. iPhone and iPad owners running a beta version of iOS 8 on their devices can sign up for a preview on Fleksy's website. The company will notify customers via email when the public beta program goes live.

Fleksy won't be the only third-party keyboard available to consumers when iOS 8 launches later this year. Both Swiftkey and popular Android keyboard Swype confirmed they plan to launch iOS 8-compatible versions of their keyboard apps.
"We're delighted Apple has decided to embrace the importance of opening its platform to third party keyboards.
We first brought a taste of our technology to iOS in January this year with the launch of the free note-taking app SwiftKey Note. Are we going to build SwiftKey Keyboard for iOS 8? Of course we are. We've already started, writes Swiftkey founders Ben Medlock and Jon Reynolds."
Both Switfkey and Fleksy already offer versions of their keyboards for iPhone and iPad owners, but their functionality is limited due to iOS constraints that prohibit their system-wide installation. iOS 8 will remove this restriction, making it possible for all keyboard makers, including iOS newcomer Swype, to bring their keyboards to Apple's mobile platform. The beta version of iOS 8 is available now to developers, with a public release expected this fall.

Article Link: Fleksy Offers Beta Preview as Keyboard Makers Look Forward to iOS 8

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Awesome! Good move by Apple to open up iOS and allow Developers deeper access into the system. iOS 8 is the biggest leap forward IMHO. We shall see some great Apps in the future and a significantly improved user experience. :)

sransari

macrumors 6502
Feb 11, 2005
Omg custom KB has been on android for years!!!!!

Except one minor detail...on an iphone, the custom KB won't conflict with other operations of the phone and be one of the many reasons your android is a buggy, laggy, useless piece, despite the supposedly superior hardware (since we all know clock speed and RAM size are the only hardware benchmarks).

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Can't wait for Yose to port HipJot/NinType (this) to use as a system wide keyboard.

Yeah, Hipjot is a great little app. Love the keyboard, but I don't like the fact that there's no iPad version and there is also no automatic backup of your data to either iCloud or Dropbox.

Right now I'm learning to how be efficient with Fleksy. I have a few other apps that I use with the Fleksy keyboard.

diddl14

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2009
Isn't it great to see this type of cross pollination between iOS and Android :)

Tux Kapono

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2003
What about this...

Apple has said that security is a top priority for the company in finally allowing third-party keyboards on iOS. Before installing a keyboard in iOS 8, users are warned with the following:

"Full access allows the developer to transmit anything you type, including things you have previously typed with this keyboard. This could include sensitive information such as your credit card number or street address."

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14...-third-party-keyboard-running-on-apples-ios-8

Vinamra

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Can anyone explain how Apple plans to implement this? Will 3rd party keyboards be available for download in the App store and once a user does download them, they'll be added to the keyboards section of general settings from where the user can just tap the globe icon of the standard keyboard to change to the preferred keyboard? :confused:

That sounds a bit confusing while reading too!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
they should also add lower and capital letters on the keyboard. i have it on my jailbroken iPhone and it makes it a lot easier to see what you are actually in right now

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
And the only way of getting it is going and getting an app? So there are going to be millions of apps with just 1 keyboard in it?

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
"Full access allows the developer to transmit anything you type, including things you have previously typed with this keyboard. This could include sensitive information such as your credit card number or street address."

I don't see why the keyboard plug-in has to have "full access" in the first place. It's a possible security risk, the option shouldn't even be available in the first place. Keyboard plug-in should mean no communication and no storage.

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K

Except one minor detail...on an iphone, the custom KB won't conflict with other operations of the phone and be one of the many reasons your android is a buggy, laggy, useless piece, despite the supposedly superior hardware (since we all know clock speed and RAM size are the only hardware benchmarks).

...I have never ever had a problem with a custom keyboard on Android and not even sure I've heard of that happening lol. There might be a lot wrong with Android but I don't think that's even in the top ten.

raazman

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2010

What are you even referring to?

sk1wbw

Suspended
May 28, 2011
Williamsburg, Virginia
Isn't it great to see this type of cross pollination between iOS and Android :)

Yeah, except that Android didn't invent these keyboards, they just enabled the ability to use different keyboards.

----------

You don't have to have iOS 8 to use custom keyboards. If you have Fleksy installed, it will install its own keyboard on the apps that support it. Such as Tweetings 2, Write, FNotes, and lots of others.

goaliemn

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2013
I don't see why the keyboard plug-in has to have "full access" in the first place. It's a possible security risk, the option shouldn't even be available in the first place. Keyboard plug-in should mean no communication and no storage.
On android devices, some keyboards will give you the option to log into and read your tweets/gmail to build a custom dictionary, plus some allow you to download different language dictionaries.

The one way I see around that is not allow the dictionary build, which wouldn't be that big of a deal, and then allow additional dictionaries via in-app purchases, or instead of having one keyboard in the app store, then download the language, have multiple keyboards in the app store with each one having its own language.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
So far the word predictions just slow me down as I try to switch back and forth between the two inputs. Its faster to just keep typing, no matter how big the word is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.