Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Production of components for Apple's iWatch is reportedly starting later this month, leading to speculation by Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White that the device will see a launch as soon as September alongside the iPhone 6.
With the theme around wearable technology at Computex this year, our research has uncovered more data points as it relates to Apple's "iWatch." Our meeting with a tech supply chain company highlighted that initial production of certain "iWatch" components is scheduled to begin later this month and there are plans for a sharp acceleration into fall.

Given the trajectory of this ramp and our experience analyzing other product ramps at Apple, we expect the "iWatch" to be unveiled with the iPhone 6 in September. Since our research suggests the first iteration of the "iWatch" is more of a companion device, and thus requires a connection to an iPhone, we believe unveiling the two new devices at the same time makes sense.
White believes the iWatch will be available at several pricing increments much like the iPhone and the iPad, indicating that prices could start at $199 to $229 to compete with other smart watches currently on the market.

iwatch-concept-nike.jpg
iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand
Several other rumors have pointed towards a fall launch for the iWatch, with KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicting a third quarter launch, which has also been echoed by various Asian news sources including the Economic Daily News and Digitimes. Apple is also likely aiming for a fall launch for its 4.7-inch iPhone 6, which could see the two devices unveiled together.

Little physical information has surfaced on the iWatch thus far, but supply chain rumors have suggested the device will come in two separate sizes (1.3 inches and 1.5-1.7 inches) to accommodate different sized wrists. It is also said to include a multitude of biometric sensors to measure various health metrics and it is also expected to interface with the new Health app in iOS 8.

White also believes that the 5.5-inch iPhone, which was rumored to be delayed due to production issues, could launch alongside the 4.7-inch iPhone and the iWatch. He released a report detailing his reasons yesterday and today confirms that research is "uncovering more evidence that the 5.5- inch iPhone 6 will launch this fall."

Having previously predicted seemingly outlandish products such as the "iRing" able to control an Apple television set, Brian White does not have a particularly solid track record when it comes to predicting Apple's plans, but with multiple rumors converging on a fall release date for both the iWatch and the two versions of the iPhone, it is possible we will see all three products before the end of the year.

Article Link: iWatch Component Production Said to Start Gearing Up This Month, September Launch Speculated

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV

avonord

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2007
iOS8 is not shipping until this fall. Of course the new iDevices will be following the same time line.

leesmith2

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2009
I wouldn't be surprised to see the iWatch get its own event. It's a whole new product line.

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
I'll eat an arbitrary article of clothing if Apple calls whatever this is 'iWatch'. More likely iWear or something comparably cheesy. But I think Apple's days of naming major new products something starting with 'i' are over.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
MR could take a lesson from Brian White, who consistently refers to the "iWatch" in quotes, presumably knowing full well that the chances Apple will actually use this name for their wearable tech are close to nil.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Nobody wants an iWatch

Everyone will look silly using the same watch.

Only nerds like people wearing google glass in public will use it

Tech gear must be attractive

Human nature doesn't like a watch that everyone has people.

Apple must know this hence many iterations

They aren't there yet IMO

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'll eat an arbitrary article of clothing if Apple calls whatever this is 'iWatch'. More likely iWear or something comparably cheesy. But I think Apple's days of naming major new products something starting with 'i' are over.

I expect they will stick with the i-Product naming convention, but I totally agree that "iWatch" is very unlikely to be the name they use. This name was entirely a creation of the rumor industry, and it makes no sense as anything more than a placeholder for a product that essentially nobody outside of Apple knows anything about. I thought it was kind of ironic for MR to be calling out Brian White for his less than stellar "track record" in predicting Apple products, since by putting the name in quotes, he seems to be getting at least this one thing right, and it's one that MR never has.

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
Sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV

I wouldn't be surprised if it was Aug/Sept for the events rather than Sept/Oct.

Nobody wants an iWatch

I want a watch if it does useful things. Am I nobody? People don't mind using the same phone - this will be a similar thing. It can be attractive without being highly unique, and people will want to wear them.

ZildjianLudwig

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Has anyone discussed how this design keeps from spinning endlessly on the wrist? Or do we believe that a gyroscope always keeps the focus "up?" (And in that case, what if you're lying down? Do we need a switch to lock orientation?)

Also, most of us aren't going to want a plastic-y bangle hitting our desks as we type all day long.

This design can't be right.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
I wouldn't be surprised if it was Aug/Sept for the events rather than Sept/Oct.

I want a watch if it does useful things. Am I nobody? People don't mind using the same phone - this will be a similar thing. It can be attractive without being highly unique, and people will want to wear them.

We'll see

If I get an iWatch you can't get one

It would be really tacky if we are both wearing them ; same color size etc

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
They'll need to do a big marketing push by having celebrities be "spotted" wearing them (unfortunately). Most people follow the herd and will only buy one if it seems socially acceptable/cool. Apple has an uphill battle here, it is by no means a guaranteed home run. A phone sits in your pocket, a watch sits on your wrist for everyone to gawk at...

dauby88

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
Sept event:
iPhones
iOS 8 release date/gm
iWatch

Oct event:
iPads
New Mac hardware
OS X Yosemite release
Apple TV

The only issue here is that iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite need to release at the same time. The iCloud features are dependent on each other, and you need both for the collaboration features.

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010

I expect they will stick with the i-Product naming convention, but I totally agree that "iWatch" is very unlikely to be the name they use. This name was entirely a creation of the rumor industry, and it makes no sense as anything more than a placeholder for a product that essentially nobody outside of Apple knows anything about. I thought it was kind of ironic for MR to be calling out Brian White for his less than stellar "track record" in predicting Apple products, since by putting the name in quotes, he seems to be getting at least this one thing right, and it's one that MR never has.

You guys do realize that Apple already registered the name iWatch in several countries already. So I think at this point a done deal it's going to be called iWatch. Other wise why to through all the trouble to register the name.

Then again they could be doing that to throw everyone off lol

joshdammit

Suspended
Mar 6, 2013
Nobody wants an iWatch

How come you aren't posting any pictures of it, since apparently you've seen it and are able to make these claims?

Also, you're right, they aren't there yet. They will (presumably) be there this fall. :) Say what you will about Apple, but it's hard to deny they have a certain talent in making us want something regular people otherwise wouldn't have considered before.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.