Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

PayPal is already working to incorporate the fingerprint scanning capabilities of the iPhone 5s into its mobile apps, likely planning to use the technology to authenticate users and confirm payments through the use of a fingerprint rather than a password.

Apple first announced a Touch ID API for developers on Monday, which will allow the feature to be integrated into third-party apps for the first time. According to a PayPal source that spoke to Business Insider, PayPal developers attended a developer session on Touch ID at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference yesterday to learn about the new API.

paypal.jpg
"It seems to be a fairly easy API to use, but we're still kicking the tires," the PayPal source tells us.

Anuj Nyar, PayPal's senior director of global initiatives, confirmed in an email that company developers had attended the session.
At the current point in time, Apple's Touch ID feature is limited to unlocking the iPhone and making purchases for apps and music within the iTunes Store. Apple has previously faced significant scrutiny over privacy concerns with Touch ID, which is likely why it has taken nearly a year for the company to allow developers access to the feature.

Since the release of the iPhone 5s, Apple has worked to overcome security concerns by releasing extensive documentation on Touch ID, which works through a "Secure Enclave" within the iPhone's A7 chip, using a secure boot process and other security measures to prevent both Apple and any other third parties from accessing Touch ID data.

Touch ID for developers works in conjunction with Keychain, unlocking Keychain items through a simple yes/no verification process that identifies successful fingerprint matches. During Monday's keynote, Apple software chief Craig Federighi assured iPhone users that fingerprint data remains protected and inaccessible to developers.

PayPal's main app currently allows users to send and request money and to make payments via the service in retail stores, restaurants, and more. Several features require a password to login or confirm payments, steps that may be simplified with Touch ID.

Apple may have plans to build Touch ID into a complete payment service in the future, as the company is said to be working on a mobile payments solution. According to Apple CEO Tim Cook, mobile payments were "one of the thoughts behind Touch ID." Apple has also reportedly been in talks with PayPal about a possible payments partnership, so it is no surprise that PayPal is eager to be at the forefront of Touch ID app integration.

Article Link: PayPal 'Kicking the Tires' on Integrating Touch ID Into its Mobile Apps

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Paypal devs are worthless. Their app has never even worked with their own home baked two factor auth.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Do people use paypal that often on iOS though?

I don't know if would be possible, but it'd be cool to use Continuity in some way for this. PayPal app notices you're accessing Paypal.com on your Mac and prompts you for your TouchID.

FlatlinerG

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Do people use paypal that often on iOS though?

I don't know if would be possible, but it'd be cool to use Continuity in some way for this. PayPal app notices you're accessing Paypal.com on your Mac and prompts you for your TouchID.

This should be a thing in general. Seriously, Mac recognizes you are nearby, use TouchID to unlock your account, put in admin credentials, etc.

mobilemac

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2014
Dear Paypal,

Forget about "kicking the tires". It is time to jump in with both feet. One of the reasons I don't use Paypal on the phone is that they want you to remember your password. Given how many passwords we all have, it is virtually impossible to keep track of all of them for the occasional payment I make with PayPal.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
The great thing about this is you should now be able to use very long complex passwords for things and log in with touch ID on mobile devices. Previously id avoided in some places using the random generated password OSX would create for me when signing up for something because I didn't have any chance to remember it to enter into the mobile app.

agsystems

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
Forget about "kicking the tires". It is time to jump in with both feet. One of the reasons I don't use Paypal on the phone is that they want you to remember your password. Given how many passwords we all have, it is virtually impossible to keep track of all of them for the occasional payment I make with PayPal.

Agreed...the question is would you use touch ID solo or pair it with a 4 digit code?

Belmont31R

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2012
The great thing about this is you should now be able to use very long complex passwords for things and log in with touch ID on mobile devices. Previously id avoided in some places using the random generated password OSX would create for me when signing up for something because I didn't have any chance to remember it to enter into the mobile app.

You can go to settings, Safari, saved passwords, and then copy the password after entering your 4 digit pin to see the login for that site.

Then go to the app and paste the PW. Not exactly as easy as using Touch ID or just remembering a simple PW but I've done this when needed.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England

And you can't remember a simple 4-digit passcode?

I use PayPal all the time on iPhone and I can't fault it.

zencowboy

macrumors member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
I use Paypal for my biz

I use paypal online invoicing the most and do in person card swipe with the card reader. I would actually like Apple to have their own and hopefully be cheaper. Paypal just went up to 2.9% (was 2.7%) and 30 cents per swipe and online invoicing. Not bad but would love to see what Apple could do.

al256

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2001
Hmm... If only I could use Touch ID to Handoff my identity/authentication to my mac.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012
I use paypal online invoicing the most and do in person card swipe with the card reader. I would actually like Apple to have their own and hopefully be cheaper. Paypal just went up to 2.9% (was 2.7%) and 30 cents per swipe and online invoicing. Not bad but would love to see what Apple could do.

Apple would charge 3.2% and $0.50 a swipe. But hey, it would be incredibly great and magical....with diamond chamfered edges. :D

Trapezoid

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Only the beginning of mobile payments. TouchID is the new NFC :D

we should see many companies implementing things like this soon, once apple solidifies their intention to move into the mobile payment space.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
If all security concerns can be addressed 100%, this technology will revolutionize all facets of identification, and while convenient for us, the users, it will no doubt eventually also be embraced by all levels of government, which unfortunately is the other 'edge' of that 'double edged sword'. The genie is out of the bottle, people.

It would negate the convenience factor somewhat, but for those occasions where ultimate security is a must, and I'm obviously not talking about an iTunes account here, a combination of TouchId, IrisScans and resettable passwords could be implemented sometime in the future.

travis64

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2008
NEW YORK
paypal sucks

refuse to use them ever again after they held my money for 6 months and said they are not allowed to give a reason

kdarling

macrumors P6

The Galaxy S5 already had a Samsung specific Paypal app that uses the onboard fingerprint scanner as authentication.

Unless Apple is wanting a piece of the action, Paypal will likely do the same for the iPhone pretty quickly, since Paypal already has their FIDO server side in place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.