Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Philips today tweeted an image demonstrating how the Philips Hue app for its iPhone-controlled line of lights might look when integrated into iOS 8's Notification Center.

As seen in the image, adding a Hue widget to the Notification Center would potentially give users direct access to an off switch and a selection of light scenes.

philipshuewidget.jpg
This is a concept prototype to show the use of extensions to provide access to hue from the notification centre! pic.twitter.com/xC92LAgVfq - Philips Hue Dev (@philipshuedev) June 5, 2014
Currently, the Philips Hue line of lights, which includes various bulbs and accent lights, is controlled through the Philips Hue app and through various third-party apps. Access to Hue controls in Notification Center would make it much simpler for users to turn off lights or choose their favorite scenes, as it would not require an app to be launched.

As described during Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference, iOS 8's Notification Center allows third-party apps to create widget extensions to display information directly in the "Today" view. Right now, Apple limits Today view to integration with its own stock apps like Calendar, Stocks, and Weather, but with iOS 8, users will be given far more customization options thanks to third-party integration.

Article Link: Philips Shows Off Prototype Hue Notification Center Widget for iOS 8

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
This would be most useful to me. So far, I have one room with hue and if I want to adjust the lights outside of my timers, I have to navigate all the way to the app. Not a problem really, but this would be more handy.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
Holy awesome batman. I really can't wait for Homekit to be fully up and running. Can't wait to tell Siri I'm going to bed, then bam: Doors locked, garage door closed, alarm set and my hue lights shut off inside house.

flottenheimer

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2008
Up north
Philips makes some pretty cool products, but my god, their user interfaces are ugly.

Dear Philips, please hire some professionals to do your UI/UX/GUI — it is what your products deserve.

Nikiaf

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2013
This is great. I've always liked how the Hue app for Android supports adding individual presets to the lock screen or a home screen, and this is pretty well just as functional.

Shredliotti

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
I currently am using "Hey Siri" and an app called "My Lights" so when my phone is on a charger("Hey Siri" Requirement) I just say Open My Lights and the app turns lights on.

(iterm. solution till Homekit.)

Holy awesome batman. I really can't wait for Homekit to be fully up and running. Can't wait to tell Siri I'm going to bed, then bam: Doors locked, garage door closed, alarm set and my hue lights shut off inside house.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Looks pretty ugly, but functional I guess.

Seconded. Ugly iPhone app is the reason why I chose not to get Hue in the first place. I want clean UI that's obvious and pleasant to use. Hue just looks so messy.

BeachChair

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2008
Copenhagen, Denmark
I like my Hue lamps, but I don't like the software. Philips need to hire a new team of people to do the user interface. Is has been a lost cause for too long. I no longer believe time will fix it. The problem seems to be Philips themselves think their software is great.

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
Apple should have just replaced the "Missed" panel with a "Dashboard" or "Wdigets" panel. A dedicated widgets panel would have made more sense.

There are going to be way too many widgets lined up one after another. It's going to be too busy.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
It's a prototype...

Reckon it'll actually look any different when finished though? I mean a prototype for a notification widget?! Design is 80% of the prototype! Plus as others have said, their design is terrible in the app thats been out for years too.

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
As a Hue owner, The app was ugly until they did an iOS7 update to it. Now it is fine. For those saying it doesn't work, I disagree. It works pretty flawlessly for me.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
It is so unfortunate that widgets can only be shown on the Today View. I can imagine that it would look cramped fairly easily. They should have turned that third tab (which they removed) into a Widgets tab, letting users decide where to put their widgets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.