Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A MacRumors reader has sent in a screenshot of a prompt in iOS 8 that double checks with users asking if they want to continue giving location info to apps.

ios-8-location-data-prompt.jpg
Since iOS 6, Apple has required apps to get explicit user permission before accessing personal data and device information, with iOS 8 now allowing users to determine whether they want apps to keep using location data.

Apple's original move to require apps to ask for permission came in 2012 after it was discovered that apps such as Path were uploading users' address books without asking for authorization. While Path eventually deleted the information, a pair of U.S. Congressmen sent a letter to Apple asking for information on specific data collection policies, causing Apple to make changes.

Since then, Apple has made a number of moves to better comply with concerns over privacy, which include adding the ability to report apps that do not comply with privacy requirements and asking iOS users if Location Services should be enabled during setup.

Article Link: iOS 8 Prompt Asks Users Whether Apps Can Continue Using Location Data

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
This is good for privacy but I will say they are taking on a bit of a Windows Vista approach.. bugging people about their apps constantly.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
This is good for privacy but I will say they are taking on a bit of a Windows Vista approach.. bugging people about their apps constantly.

I hope I can turn this off. Will get annoying after awhile.

You'd only have to do it once per app or just turn off location services. I only see like 5 apps that ever uses the location service, so I'd imagine it's not going to be that frequent.

Also, it's not just good for privacy but for battery life.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009
You'd only have to do it once per app or just turn off location services. I only see like 5 apps that ever uses the location service, so I'd imagine it's not going to be that frequent.

Also, it's not just good for privacy but for battery life.

Yes but if an app needs to use the gps.. it asks.. if it needs the camera.. it asks.. if it needs photos.. it asks.. if it needs the mic.. the contacts.. calendar.. reminders.. bluetooth.. motion data.. or to keep running gps data in the background, it asks. They just need like a list with everything the app wants so you can toggle them on and off on a single list, because this is getting too intrusive.

tob!

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
Germany
It checks because there is a new setting available. You can now restrict location usage for an app so that it only has access when it's on screen.
It turns out apps need to explicitly implement this. (Apples apps already have this setting)
If your app has not implementet this you will loose location access all together.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Great changes.

I hope the status bar icon distinguishes between "while running" and "always on" GPS.

I use Dark Sky for rain alerts, which means "always on" (but nicely power-efficient!) GPS. And the icon shows in the status bar. But with that icon always there, I cannot (in iOS 7) tell when any OTHER app is using the GPS.

If the icon were to change for "while running" apps like Yelp etc., that would make it far more useful. (As it is, I may as well turn off the icon, since it's always there and tells me nothing.)

Currently you can see all this by poking through settings, but if you're going yo have a status icon, make it useful!

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Great changes.

I hope the status bar icon distinguishes between "while running" and "always on" GPS.

I use Dark Sky for rain alerts, which means "always on" (but nicely power-efficient!) GPS. And the icon shows in the status bar. But with that icon always there, I cannot (in iOS 7) tell when any OTHER app is using the GPS.

If the icon were to change for "while running" apps like Yelp etc., that would make it far more useful. (As it is, I may as well turn off the icon, since it's always there and tells me nothing.)

Currently you can see all this by poking through settings, but if you're going yo have a status icon, make it useful!

They could probably solve that by moving it to the Notification Center, so it's just one swipe to get there.

They could really use that space for a lot of stuff, actually.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
Great changes.

YES. Exactly this. A real problem for me, that I hope iOS 8 solves. I'm also looking forward to the per app battery usage, I want to be convinced that these background location apps really don't waste a lot of battery (as they claim). For exapmple, Swarm by Foursquare. I have no idea how much it wastes, Foursquare claims it's very little, but this always visible GPS icon bugs me, at least psychologically. :)

----------

They could probably solve that by moving it to the Notification Center, so it's just one swipe to get there.

They could really use that space for a lot of stuff, actually.

That would be the best solution, imo.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Please allow to remove and disable all Facebook snooping. In iOS 7 even you toggle the location services off Facebook App is still tracking the iPhone location. Can any of you testing iOS 8 check how this is working?
Thanks

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I love this. My GPS is always turning on at random and I can never figure out which app is the culprit. I hope background services are required to get permission, too.

Also, this isn't very Windows-like, I don't think. With Windows, every time you try to start an application, it asks you if you really want to start it. That's a fantastically retarded question. Yes, no crap I want to start it, otherwise I wouldn't have clicked on it. That popup generates so many false positives about malicious software, I suspect that it causes:

1 - People to think Windows has more viruses than it does (and it already has a lot)
2 - People to completely miss the popups when they're actual warnings about actual viruses

This is a legitimate question. This app is going to use your GPS, do you want it to?

I guess maybe they could improve it by merging the GPS popups into one for each app:

"This app wants to use your GPS, even in the background."
"Don't allow"
"Allow only in foreground"
"Allow even in background"
Expressed more concisely and in a manner that most users will get.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
I love this. My GPS is always turning on at random and I can never figure out which app is the culprit. I hope background services are required to get permission, too.

Also, this isn't very Windows-like, I don't think. With Windows, every time you try to start an application, it asks you if you really want to start it. That's a fantastically retarded question. Yes, no crap I want to start it, otherwise I wouldn't have clicked on it. That popup generates so many false positives about malicious software, I suspect that it causes:

1 - People to think Windows has more viruses than it does (and it already has a lot)
2 - People to completely miss the popups when they're actual warnings about actual viruses

This is a legitimate question. This app is going to use your GPS, do you want it to?

I guess maybe they could improve it by merging the GPS popups into one for each app:

"This app wants to use your GPS, even in the background."
"Don't allow"
"Allow only in foreground"
"Allow even in background"
Expressed more concisely and in a manner that most users will get.

There should be an -all setting and a -per app setting. If I allow -all, I should not get popups. If I do -per app, then I will get popups. The popups should be a one-time event. I can then choose to disallow it later in the settings area.

Personally, I rather have a list of all apps in the settings menu with all the options for that app there. Rather than go to the Notifications setting to see a list of all apps there. Then go to another setting, and see another list of apps there.

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
This just started happening to me yesterday. It's interesting that it kept popping up for a different app every time I unlock my phone. Not all at once, but one app every time I unlock my phone. o_O

seppler

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2008
Please allow to remove and disable all Facebook snooping. In iOS 7 even you toggle the location services off Facebook App is still tracking the iPhone location. Can any of you testing iOS 8 check how this is working?
Thanks

If you are talking about how Facebook knows your (general) location with Location Services off and when you are posting, I'm guessing it only knows a general location because of the IP you are posting from. That's my experience, anyway.

iSee

macrumors 68040
Oct 25, 2004
...a pair of U.S. Congressmen sent a letter to Apple asking for information on specific data collection policies, causing Apple to make changes.

That's not what caused Apple to make changes to their policy.

Both the policy changes and the letters from the Congressmen were caused by the same thing: public concern/outcry (outrage? whatever you want to characterize it as).

OK, it's a small point... I just don't want anyone to get the impression that if Apple is doing something you don't like you should turn to your politicians... first complain directly to Apple.

Done quibbling now.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
If you are talking about how Facebook knows your (general) location with Location Services off and when you are posting, I'm guessing it only knows a general location because of the IP you are posting from. That's my experience, anyway.

If you look into Settings Background refresh it shows that Facebook is accessing your location in the background (what I am experiencing with my iPhone), even background refresh is disable for Facebook, as location services is.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
I got this with Weather too, I though "why's Weather using my location when it's not open?" So it can have the rights location instantly when next opened?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
It'd be easy to add a "Do Not Show This Again" option - then just to be safe, if someone checks it, add a "Are You Sure?" prompt.

I've had this pop up one time so far on iOS 8 - on my iPhone 5C for the Weather Channel app. I usually run my devices with pretty much everything on all the time. I don't want it to keep asking me.

We'll see how its implemented as time goes on.

----------

I got this with Weather too, I though "why's Weather using my location when it's not open?" So it can have the rights location instantly when next opened?

That would be the reason. That way it can update it the background and show you fresh info immediately.

Basically its an improvement on the "intelligent multitasking" of iOS 7.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
Yes but if an app needs to use the gps.. it asks.. if it needs the camera.. it asks.. if it needs photos.. it asks.. if it needs the mic.. the contacts.. calendar.. reminders.. bluetooth.. motion data.. or to keep running gps data in the background, it asks. They just need like a list with everything the app wants so you can toggle them on and off on a single list, because this is getting too intrusive.

Well, this is the great time to send in a bug report to Apple to explain that this may be too intrusive and share your suggestions, so that they can change this before iOS 8 releases this fall.

Apple do listen to their customers (it may not seem like they do) and will adjust the frequency or change it overall.

After all, even Microsoft fixed it properly after Vista.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
It'd be easy to add a "Do Not Show This Again" option - then just to be safe, if someone checks it, add a "Are You Sure?" prompt.

I've had this pop up one time so far on iOS 8 - on my iPhone 5C for the Weather Channel app. I usually run my devices with pretty much everything on all the time. I don't want it to keep asking me.

We'll see how its implemented as time goes on.

----------

That would be the reason. That way it can update it the background and show you fresh info immediately.

Basically its an improvement on the "intelligent multitasking" of iOS 7.

Right, I need to arrange a trip to test this out! Somewhere far away to make sure it can update even if you've traveled a long way. Wonder if I can persuade my boss that I'm needed in our Italy office (assuming we have one)...

octothorpe8

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2014

So, you'd rather apps be able to quietly use your mic, your camera, your location data, your contacts and do god-knows-what with them without your knowledge? That sounds a lot more "intrusive" to me.

I'm very glad Apple allows for granular control of this stuff — as opposed to companies like Google who offer "free" services in exchange for selling everything.

And besides, there are toggles for all this stuff in Settings/Privacy.

Last edited:

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
The Settings > Privacy > Location Services configuration lets you tweak this. Currently, it's not ideal.

- Apple apps let you select the following for Allow Location Access: Never, While Using The App (the best setting), Always
- Non-Apple apps let you select the following for Allow Location Access: Never, Always

Arguably, third party apps are more aggressive about location use, so it would make *more* sense for them to offer a While Using The App option. I hope this is something Apple changes as the beta progresses.

Zoekatya

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2017
Even now in 2017 I still get prompts for apps that want to use my location constantly and multiple times from the same app after I've told it "yes use my location" three others times. Things like this make me want to switch to android. I don't want my phone to keep bothering me and stressing me out.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Even now in 2017 I still get prompts for apps that want to use my location constantly and multiple times from the same app after I've told it "yes use my location" three others times. Things like this make me want to switch to android. I don't want my phone to keep bothering me and stressing me out.

Do you get them all the time from the app? I usually only get it once and then it is done.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.