Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's highly rumored "iWatch" smartwatch is expected to launch in October and will run a version of iOS 8, according to a new report from Japanese business newspaper Nikkei.

Balogh-iwatch.jpg
Traditional watch-style iWatch concept based on TRIWA's Havana Nevil Brown watch, by Gábor Balogh

Sources tell the paper that Apple has begun finalizing specs for the device, as it will use a curved OLED touchscreen while utilizing biometric sensors to collect health-related data such as calorie consumption, sleep activity, blood oxygen levels and more, in line with recent rumors.
Apple appears confident of the new product. According to a parts manufacturer, it plans monthly commercial output of about 3-5 million units, which exceeds the total global sales of watch-like devices last year.
The news contrasts a report from Cantor Fitzgerald analyst Brian White yesterday, which stated that iWatch production would begin gearing up this month ahead of a September launch alongside the iPhone 6.

While not much is known about the iWatch's physical features, rumors have suggested the device will come in two separate sizes of 1.3 inches and 1.5-1.7 inches. It is also likely that the iWatch's biometric sensors will work with Apple's new Health app in iOS 8 in order to measure and aggregate health metrics.

Article Link: iWatch Reportedly Launching in October with iOS 8 and Curved OLED Touchscreen

ee13lbp

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2012
From my use with OLED screens on samsung devices they have pretty poor performance in daylight. Given that a lot of the use of the iWatch is probably going to be outdoors (exercising etc), it doesn't really seem logical to me.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Curved OLED just like the mock up displayed?

Seriously, how about just making up a fresh iWatch news icon and stop repeating the same ridiculous concepts over and over. We get the idea already. :)

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
From all the other unconfirmed rumors, apple was investing in the Arizona sapphire plant specifically for the iwatch. Not sure if this article necessarily contradicts the other rumors, but it makes me wonder.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
From my use with OLED screens on samsung devices they have pretty poor performance in daylight. Given that a lot of the use of the iWatch is probably going to be outdoors (exercising etc), it doesn't really seem logical to me.

Both the Nike Fuel Band and <now discontinued> Fitbit Force have OLED screens. I used both... still use the FB. No prob seeing the display on either in full noon daylight. So I don't think OLED is a problem in bright light, maybe just how a company implements it or the quality screen they use. Also the FB and Force are single color, which is fine for a watch.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
After the recent Keynote, it is clear that integration will be the key focus of the iWatch. Apple is making things as seamless between their devices as possible.

And after seeing OSX Yosemite and iOS8 I think Apple is going to hit this one out of the park.

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
So its a fitness/health band that tells time? Or is it a fitness band, phone and ipod rolled into one? I know we are just guessing but I am really eager to see this mythical device! :apple:

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Seems odd that we've seen lots of rumoured parts for the iPhone 6 but we haven't seen a single rumoured part for the iWatch despite the fact that they will apparently launch at the same time. Whatever security measures they have in the iWatch development certainly seem to be working.

fumi2014

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
California
I cannot see what the big deal is about this. Yes, it's another new market that Apple will probably dominate if they get the Burberry exec to market it correctly with splashy ads in all the glossy fashion magazines, famous athletes seen posing with them, Jay-Z and Beyonce, Rhianna and all the other 'cool' style icons shown wearing them.

Gimmicky nonsense - what's wrong with conventional watches? What's wrong with conventional books?

Folks, Just ignore me, I'm getting old and crabby. When you get to my age, you're not so easily impressed with some things.

iMacBooked

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2013
4 8 15 16 23 42 ✈
iWatch Reportedly Launching in October with iOS 8 and Curved OLED Touchscreen

After the recent Keynote, it is clear that integration will be the key focus of the iWatch. Apple is making things as seamless between their devices as possible.

And after seeing OSX Yosemite and iOS8 I think Apple is going to hit this one out of the park.

I agree. But why would Apple implement a feature in Yosemite to see when you recieve a phone call and to even answer it? I mean, it seemed like a feature that I thought would be the most promising for an iWatch, not on OS X. Imagine working on your computer, then why would you still be wearing an iWatch? The point I'm trying to make is that by focusing on integration between OS X and iOS, it looks like they're taking away some features I would deserve for their watch..

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
I'd love to know how a biometric sensor can tell how many slices of pizza I ate for dinner. It can't. It can predict calorie expenditure, not consumption.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
So its a fitness/health band that tells time? Or is it a fitness band, phone and ipod rolled into one? I know we are just guessing but I am really eager to see this mythical device! :apple:

I think it basically just going to be a remote sensor which looks like a watch but needs an iPhone to read the data. I guess you might be able to remotely control the music apps on your iPhone through the iWatch but I wouldn't think it will have any memory or stand alone iPod functionality. That way they can keep the price down and basically use it a marketing tool to get more people to keep buying the iPhone.

solamar

macrumors regular
Dec 30, 2008
Cantor Fitzgerald

Cantor Fitzgerald is the guy who predicted iRing! BAHAHAHAHA..

So.. yeah.. not going to trust his info.. :D

Rainbow Evil

macrumors member
May 13, 2014
UK
Fair enough it measuring sleep activity and potentially a couple of other things, but how could it manage calorie intake? And blood oxygen/heart rate data would be very costly on battery life to integrate for such a small device, as it would presumably need to use a light and some form of sensor in tandem.

quackers82

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2014
Gimmicky nonsense - what's wrong with conventional watches? What's wrong with conventional books?

I have not worn a watch for 16 years, for me they are useless, my phone has a clock so why have something strapped to my arm that does just that 1 task.

Now if it can do other things too for me i might want something strapped to my arm again.

I don't really read books, but my mum who is a heavy book reader has gone kindle because conventional books take over your house to the point where you cannot move for books. So she went digital, also she loves being able to get the 2rd or 3rd book in a series immediately after reading the previous.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Seems odd that we've seen lots of rumoured parts for the iPhone 6 but we haven't seen a single rumoured part for the iWatch despite the fact that they will apparently launch at the same time. Whatever security measures they have in the iWatch development certainly seem to be working.

i personally think apple leaks those iPhone images on purpose to keep the iPhone in the media and the head of people while theres this big gap of spring to fall. I mean everyone knows an iPhone is always coming in the fall so it wouldnt really matter if parts leak cuz those people would be waiting for the new iPhone anyway whlie those who dont care still buy the iPhone 5S right now.

meanwhile the "iwatch" is a brand new product they may want to keep a secret as long as possible to get the WOW effect during the actual keynote

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I'm looking foward to seeing this announced. I do hope the battery lasts a few days - I'm not going to get a watch that needs charging as much as my phone does!

BriSpe

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2010
CH
WOW calorie consumption???!!! How does that work? If it's true.....take my money!!!!!
And I need it now

lotzosushi

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2007
While not much is known about the iWatch's physical features, rumors have suggested the device will come in two separate sizes of 1.3 inches and 1.5-1.7 inches.

Small size 1.3 + large size 1.7 = 3

Half Life 3 confirmed on iWatch. :)

I wonder what kind of charging options they will choose. Lightning would be unsightly on such a small device on your wrist. It would be a first if they add Qi/inductive charging. I hope there will be an elegant way to have it charging while docked on your nightstand!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.