Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

netnothing

macrumors 68040
Mar 13, 2007
NH
Exactly, let's not bother creating more software that runs on Macs so Windows can remain the dominant OS...even for building Macs. :rolleyes:

So do you care that when you take money out of the ATM that's running Windows XP? You think Tim Cook when he needs money he drives around looking for an ATM that uses Linux? I don't....just give me my money. :p

I don't care if Apple uses Windows to DESIGN Macs......all I care about is using a Mac.

-Kevin

stiligFox

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2009
I was visiting Austin a few weeks ago and took a trip to The Alamo in San Antonio. And it wasn't a 3 hour drive! More like hour, hour and a half. Bumper to bumper traffic the whole way, then maybe 3 hours.

Weird, last time went it was a three hour deal.

Oh well, my bad D:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Baby steps...but it makes me damn proud to see manufacturing of Apple products in the US again.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
You're post shows so much ignorance, Seriously. With that type of attitude things will remain the same. Is that what you want, to be monopolized by Microsoft? It's not like Macs are just a hobby. That's exactly what you're suggesting.
There's absolutely nothing about Windows in general that can only do that type of work. It's lazies that refused to create and consumers with your type of thinking that will keep everything the way it is. Very poor.

My post is just reality, backed up my the proof on those images. Apple has sourced the software they need to do the job and it runs on Windows. Why? Because the software they require on OS X simply doesn't exist.

Also, calm down. It's just software.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
So do you care that when you take money out of the ATM that's running Windows XP? You think Tim Cook when he needs money he drives around looking for an ATM that uses Linux? I don't....just give me my money. :p

I don't care if Apple uses Windows to DESIGN Macs......all I care about is using a Mac.

-Kevin

You're stretching it. Let it go. I'm referring to someone saying Apple doesn't need to be making software to create their own computers, and it's just plain ignorance to even state that. You're going off on a tangent with ridiculous analogies.

TXCherokee

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2012

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
My post is just reality, backed up my the proof on those images. Apple has sourced the software they need to do the job and it runs on Windows. Why? Because the software they require on OS X simply doesn't exist.

Also, calm down. It's just software.

And did I post from beginning saying that was bad? NO. I was responding to someone who posted an ignorant statement saying Apple shouldn't create their own software at all. And don't tell me to calm down. Who do you think you are talking to me that way? I don't appreciate your tone. :rolleyes:

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
"Made in USA":

Thrice as long to manufacture thrice the MSRP. :apple:

Thrice the salary for the workers, thrice the quality of life, thrice the quality, and thrice the average age of the workers.

Let's face it, having 12 year-olds work for 15¢ an hour near factories that spill toxic chemicals into rivers and spew toxic fumes into downwind major cities is not a sustainable way of doing things. Cheap, fast, good...pick two.

sblemmy

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
I read somewhere (I think it was the Jony Ive biography) that Tim Cook wanted iPhone manufacturing in the US, but after US companies failed to meet both the technical specifications and yields, Apple moved manufacturing to China simply because Foxconn could deliver on both.

jroadley

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2009
Norwich, UK
Wish the UK would bring more manufacturing back from overseas.

If anything to help future generations - not sell them down the river to the highest bidder.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
There's absolutely nothing about Windows in general that can only do that type of work.
Nor did he say that.
It's lazies that refused to create
Theres no financial motivation for it, and little sense in it.

Manufacturing is heavily reliant on hardware and software that can be acquired for a very long time, and that can be expected to run for and exceeding a decade. If anything breaks, you need to be able to replace it without creating a 'mixed environment' problem.

That means being able to both install operating systems that are extremely old (Which apple does not permit with OSX) in order to ensure correct behaviour and working software, and to have the correct IO interfaces to communicate with your environment, which apple also does not guarantee.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Tim should sign a component under the case of one of the Mac Pros on the line. Then some lucky person would get a signed Mac Pro!

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Theres no financial motivation for it, and little sense in it.

Explain that when it's Apple's own factories. A company that has over $100 billion in the bank. A company that has the dominant tablet, the single most popular smartphone and the second largest in marketshare OS for portable electronics and the second most used computers.

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Explain that when it's Apple's own factories.
How exactly would it benefit them?

Apple is not targeting factory environments. They're targeting consumers.

They use the best and most cost effective tools for getting the job done. In this case, that means a number of iMacs - running Windows.

You don't get rich by frivolous spending.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Thrice the salary for the workers, thrice the quality of life, thrice the quality, and thrice the average age of the workers.

Let's face it, having 12 year-olds work for 15¢ an hour near factories that spill toxic chemicals into rivers and spew toxic fumes into downwind major cities is not a sustainable way of doing things. Cheap, fast, good...pick two.

500 million iPhone owners couldn't care :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Exhale

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2011
Answer the question. You didn't even do that.
Being rich is not a financial motivation. Again; how would apple benefit from being forced to design their own software in an area they have no expertise in - when there is perfectly functional software that already exists which they simply need to license.

Not only that, they get workers and administrators that know how to manage those systems.

It may make more sense if they increase the scale of their operations. Right now however the scale is far too small.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.