Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is indeed aiming for an October release date for the iWatch as first reported by Nikkei earlier today, according to Re/code. Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, the site says Apple is tentatively hoping to schedule a special iWatch event to show off the device in October.
People familiar with Apple's plans tell Code/red the company hopes to schedule a special event that month to show off the device, which is designed to make good use of the HealthKit health and fitness information-gathering app it recently showed off at WWDC. Could things change between now and fall? That's certainly possible. But right now October is the target date.
Multiple rumors have previously suggested a fall 2014 release date for the device, but this is the first time a more tangible, specific date has materialized. While few details are known about Apple's iWatch, the Nikkei report from earlier today suggested the device will incorporate a curved OLED touchscreen.

iwatch-concept-nike.jpg
Curved iWatch concept by Todd Hamilton, based on the Nike FuelBand
The iWatch is also expected to include a multitude of health and fitness sensors, to measure metrics like calorie consumption, sleep activity, blood oxygen levels, and more. It is said to integrate deeply with the iOS 8's recently introduced Health app and it may come in multiple sizes and at multiple price points.

Last week, iTunes chief Eddy Cue boasted that Apple had the "best product pipeline" he'd seen in his 25 years at Apple, which along with the iWatch, may include larger iPhones, iPads with Touch ID, an updated Apple TV, and a redesigned 12-inch MacBook Air.

Article Link: Apple Aiming to Introduce iWatch at October Event

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
Hmm, so iPhones, iOS 8, OS X, maybe Apple TV SDK in Sept?

Then iPads, iWatch in October?

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
Yeah, i'll definitely have to give up buying some of the stuff they are going to be releasing. Can't spend $2,000 in 2 months on electronics.

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
LOL, nice one!

Thank you, it was the low hanging fruit and there was no way I wasn't going for it :p

This holiday season is going to be Apple's best ever, by far. The next two years will be transformational in tech.

Fred Stein

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2012
Los Altos CA
Please call it a wrist notifier or iNote / iGlance.

Add HomeKit to HealthKit. Your SmartHome at-a-glance. For the feature rich controls and programming, use the SmartPhone App. Think iPod - right iPod; And extend that to what's possible today on the wrist with just BLE.

And.. Robust - as in washer/dryer cycle safe.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So Apple is going to schedule an event just for the "iWatch"? Does that mean three events in the fall - one for iPhone, iPad and "iWatch"? And possible new Macs, Apple TV, iPods at one of these events?

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Yeah, i'll definitely have to give up buying some of the stuff they are going to be releasing. Can't spend $2,000 in 2 months on electronics.

That's my issue with all releases being crammed into 4 months at the end of the year.

Supacon

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2011
Canada
This will be exciting to see, but I think I'll pass on it until at least the second generation. First generation Apple products in a new category (or any new, first generation product, really) tend to have more issues than normal and are seemingly dropped pretty quickly.

lewisd25

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Sigh...no wrist watch will be able to track calorie consumption with a biometric sensor, it will only predict calorie expenditure.

If your source said it will track consumption then they are full of it.

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I LOVE THIS COMPANY. :apple: Can't wait till this Fall.

Attachments

• artworks-000006621616-ej5015-t500x500.jpg
    artworks-000006621616-ej5015-t500x500.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 187

khovland92

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2012
Connecticut
I'm not sold on any sort of iWatch yet (though to be fair, Apple hasn't officially pitched me anything yet).

'wearables' tech gadgets seem to be forced. What's better then pulling out your 4-5 in smartphone? A watch is JUST BARELY more convenient to look at then pulling out your phone, and the Google Glass consensus has already been made. It doesn't help that at this point I have lower expectations for Apple venturing into brand new markets since Steve is gone.

Regardless, Apple products are of such high quality that If I had the money, I would buy one for the experience. :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.