Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in late May, a single photo of an alleged rear shell from the iPhone 6 surfaced, showing what appeared to be a thin metal part with cutouts on the rear for not only the camera, microphone, and flash, but also the iconic Apple logo.

A new photo set shared by Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate] now shows a similar part from various angles, with its apparent high quality bolstering speculation that this may indeed be a genuine iPhone 6 shell.

iphone_6_shell_front_rear-800x792.jpg
Interior (left) and exterior (right) of alleged iPhone 6 rear shell
Side views of the shell show the now familiar cutouts expected for the iPhone 6, including the standard mute switch and elongated volume buttons along the left side. The right side features a SIM tray toward the middle and what has been reported to be a relocated power button, with Apple perhaps moving the button from the top edge to the side to make it more accessible on the larger device.

iphone_6_shell_sides.jpg
Left and right sides of alleged iPhone 6 rear shell
The report mentions that the cutout for the Apple logo points to the possibility of a lighted logo that could be used for notifications, but we believe this to be unlikely. Shell cutouts for the Apple logo are not uncommon for iOS devices, although they have not been seen on the iPhone before. But for iPad models, Apple has traditionally preferred to use a shell cutout with an embedded Apple logo rather than printing the Apple logo on the shell, in some cases such as in the original iPad placing antennas in the region to help overcome the shielding effects of the metal casing.

For the iPad mini, the Apple logo was printed on the first-generation models, but for the current generation the company has shifted to an embedded logo. As a result, we expect an embedded iPhone 6 logo to similarly be for aesthetic or perhaps antenna reasons rather than for illuminating the logo itself.

The iPhone 6 is expected to debut around the September timeframe, perhaps initially with the rumored 4.7-inch model while an even larger 5.5-inch model arrives up to several months later. Apple should also be releasing iOS 8 to the public at around the same time based on past patterns, and Apple's iWatch is tentatively targeted for an October unveiling.

Article Link: Alleged iPhone 6 Rear Shell Shown From Multiple Angles in New Photos

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011
Please, just please, give me one thing.

Give me a power button on the side. I don't care if it's 4.7in or if its made of paper, I just want a side power button.

Sky Blue

Jan 8, 2005
after all the excitement of wwdc, back to iPhone rear shells and mockups for 3 months!

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
wow the thickness of those separators on the back, ugly... Apart from that looks nice ;)

----------

Please, just please, give me one thing.

Give me a power button on the side. I don't care if it's 4.7in or if its made of paper, I just want a side power button.

why?

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
I like that curved edge coming out from the side of the phone. Please Apple, don't make us wait until September.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

Having a phone (My Moto X) that has the power button the side is so much more comfortable, esp. if the phone is going to be 4.7in/5.5in. No matter which hand you grip the phone in either your thumb or finger is right there on the button. Imagine having a large phone and having to stretch to hit the power button.

Go try an HTC One M8. It's power button is on the top. You really have to stretch to hit it.

dansix

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2012
The design of iOS 8 and the hardware of iPhone seems to be getting uglier. I think Jony has lost his touch. Those breaks on the back make the iPhone look cheap.

Wild Warg

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2014
Yeah...Ill have a 32 GB in Brown please...Kidding I know its the photo and its probably the gold model. Cant wait for this phone!!!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Is it just me that thinks that the back would look much better without those breaks?

I agree, but I highly doubt it'll end up looking like that...maybe the top/bottom will be painted?

I like that curved edge coming out from the side of the phone. Please Apple, don't make us wait until September.

September is when my iphone 5 two-year contract ends. If they release it sooner, it's going to be an even more painful wait for many of us on that schedule.

mazz0

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2011
Leeds, UK
Is it just me that thinks that the back would look much better without those breaks?

Nope, they look ghastly. To be fair, iPhone leak pictures have often looked kinda nasty only for the final product to look nice, but those do look pretty bad. I'm not a fan of that aspect of the iPhone 5 - I think it looks cheap and amateurish (as do the big breaks on mobile-ready iPads), and this looks worse!

But if the rumours about size are true then I don't need to worry about it, as I won't be buying a new iPhone anyway (too big) :(

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
People are taking the most incredible pictures with their phones ... but yet they seem to be unable to take a decent photo of an immobile object they hold in their hands.

This is the 10.000.000.000 mockup for case makers ... or a cheap clone.

If Apple even uses these stripes, they would make them prettier than this.

TC03

macrumors 65816
Aug 17, 2008
I like how the color of the antenna breaks matches the color of the back. In the mock-ups, it was plain ugly. This looks way better.

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK

It's not just you, nearly everyone feels the same way.

Even if this is just an elaborate render, I can't see any reason why people would knowingly continue to fake such ugly connections.

It's looking more and more likely that my next iPhone will be a "C" variant instead.

Oh well

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
It's a rounded rectangle. Who would have thought? :rolleyes:

Yeah, I was expecting a rectangular circle. Apple just can't innovate anymore.

:D Smiley face added for those who can't tell I'm joking.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
It's nice to know that the next iPhone will come in its own ugly case, so you don't have to buy one. :p

The :apple: logo looks small to me.

Dude, do you know anything about growing apples? By the time it's released, those apples will be bigger and ripe!

NX4rSDC.gif

Last edited:

deniz220

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
So no dual led flash? I really got used to it, hopefully they don't go back to the old mono flash

lorax3

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Is that a headphone jack in the bottom left of the shell (insides) photo?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.