Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

prattio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Learning Mountain Lion is possible on 2006 Mac Pro 1,1, but not with my stock Nvidia 7300GT.

The ATI HD5770 is a supported card upgrade for my model. Also seeing lots of Nvidia 8800GT for sale.

Which is a better graphics card to update to? Are they more or less the same thing, or am I correct in assuming ATI model might be better option for better performance w/ Lion, and attempt to get Mtn Lion running?

Thanks in advance.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
The ATI card is the correct choice if you want more video "processing" and speed. Remember, it also depends on the applications you run.

prattio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Thank you for the advice. That is what I figured since market seems flooded w/ 8800 and they are cheaper price.

Reactions: Ant3000

shawk1

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2012
Graphics Cards Upgrade

I had this problem and had a difficult time locating the right graphics card that would work with my 2006 mac pro. Everyone referenced older graphics cards, or ones that were discontinued. After trial and error, I found the XFX Radeon graphics cards sold at Best Buy work perfect. They are the same Radeon type, although older, that was previously in my mac when I purchased it new. All I did was pop out the old graphics card, put in the new one, and fired up the computer. After the system uploads it recognized the new card, the screen appeared and it prompted me to select the proper power configuration for the new graphics card. Then the system resets and I are off and running with the new graphics card.

I think any of the XFX Radeon graphics cards will work.

This is the first one I tried. IT worked well but seemed to lack the power.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+O...Card/4676591.p?id=1218505476084&skuId=4676591

The second one I tried seems to work much better.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+A...Card/4677014.p?id=1218505322347&skuId=4677014

prattio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2012
Thanks for the advice Shawk.

I was liking those prices, but then I checked the Lion supported video card list, and neither of those are listed there.

Looks like the ATI HD5770 is the winner.

cgc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2003
Utah
Thanks for the advice Shawk.

I was liking those prices, but then I checked the Lion supported video card list, and neither of those are listed there.

Looks like the ATI HD5770 is the winner.

My nVidia 8800GT card died a few months ago and I was waiting for Apple to replace the Radeon 5770's with something but in typical Apple fashion they'd worked the i-devide lineup and left desktops to languish.

Does your 1,1 2006 MacPro now work with Mountain Lion?

Mohan Rawat

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2013
Asus en gtx560 tidc2di1g5

Can anybody help me whether this card from ATI would work with my Mac Pro 1,1. Applications I am using are Final Cut Pro, Motion etc

Tandava

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Spaceship Earth
So which version of OSX has drivers for the Radeon 6670 and does it work right out of the box? Is it just a PC version? Thanks.

bump... I have been wanting to upgrade the video card in my MacPro 1,1 for years. The price is right on the Radeon HD 6670! I am running Lion. Can anyone confirm that the Radeon HD 6670 will be compatible with Lion? Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Thank You!

pckmusic

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
I had this problem and had a difficult time locating the right graphics card that would work with my 2006 mac pro. Everyone referenced older graphics cards, or ones that were discontinued. After trial and error, I found the XFX Radeon graphics cards sold at Best Buy work perfect. They are the same Radeon type, although older, that was previously in my mac when I purchased it new. All I did was pop out the old graphics card, put in the new one, and fired up the computer. After the system uploads it recognized the new card, the screen appeared and it prompted me to select the proper power configuration for the new graphics card. Then the system resets and I are off and running with the new graphics card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+O...Card/4676591.p?id=1218505476084&skuId=4676591

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XFX+-+A...Card/4677014.p?id=1218505322347&skuId=4677014

HI Shawk1,

I'm trying to do this same upgrade with my MacPro 1,1.

Do you have to flash the graphics card or did it really work right away? ?

Thanks for any advice :)

Tandava

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2013
Spaceship Earth
What worked for me.

I purchased a used ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB (Apple Brand). Everything works and no worries. May have spent a bit more but I didn't have to take any chances either. Works great, no drivers needed. Install and power on.

pckmusic

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
Hey Tandava,
I probably will end up buying that card. But I'm trying to spend the least money possible on this awesome (though outdated ;) machine, before I make the plunge for the new MacPro this Fall.

FireArse

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2004
Mac Pro 1,1 Mavericks GPU

Hey all,

I am running 10.9.1 on my Mac Pro 1,1 :D following some great work by Tiamo in the following thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18411621/

I am looking for the best performing GPU for the Mac Pro 1,1 with boot screen. I used to keep an eye on things a few years back (I flashed a PC 4870 some time back following advice form this forum) but I've lost track.

Is the 7950 Mac Edition the highest performing card which is proven with the PSU within the 1,1? Can I flash a PC 7xxx series card for better performance than the Apple-provided 5870 offered?

Many thanks,

FireArse

Finch127

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2014
Ireland
Hey all,

I am running 10.9.1 on my Mac Pro 1,1 :D following some great work by Tiamo in the following thread:

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/18411621/

I am looking for the best performing GPU for the Mac Pro 1,1 with boot screen. I used to keep an eye on things a few years back (I flashed a PC 4870 some time back following advice form this forum) but I've lost track.

Is the 7950 Mac Edition the highest performing card which is proven with the PSU within the 1,1? Can I flash a PC 7xxx series card for better performance than the Apple-provided 5870 offered?

Many thanks,

FireArse

This I would like to know too :)

afavreau

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2010
Quebec, Qc
Best graphic card?

Hi

Same for me. I have a Mac Pro 1,1 running Mac Os X.7 but the original Graphic Card I have just passed away today...

So by which Graphic Card should I go for considering that I may want to go for X.9 also?

Thanks

Andre

paronga

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2011
Australia, Melbourne
this thread also has my interests. Possibly even a 6670? im generally just trying to poke my head into these threads looking for idea for my mac pro 1,1 on 10.9.x

Rayamedia

macrumors newbie
Feb 4, 2014
Durango, Spain
I have 10.9.1 on my Mac Pro 1,1 and all is well but I can't get my XFX ATI 5770 to work. It's worked fine up until now on Snow leopard and Lion (if I installed the SL kext s) but I can't get it to work on 10.9. It's seen by the system but doesn't display. It's a pc card and not flashed. All I keep reading is the the 5770 works without hitch.

Any suggestions?

skscott

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2014
XFX AMD Radeon HD 6670 2GB DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 Graphics Card HD

Can you please tell me if the 6670 will work on Lion 10.7.5? Thanks!

chrismanahan

macrumors newbie
Jun 8, 2014
I have 10.9.1 on my Mac Pro 1,1 and all is well but I can't get my XFX ATI 5770 to work. It's worked fine up until now on Snow leopard and Lion (if I installed the SL kext s) but I can't get it to work on 10.9. It's seen by the system but doesn't display. It's a pc card and not flashed. All I keep reading is the the 5770 works without hitch.

Any suggestions?

Have you found a fix for this yet? I'm running into the same issue with the same card

DragonMac

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2014
XFX HD 6670 Works kinda

I can say that I got an XFX Radeon HD 6670 working in a MacPro1,1 but not with x16 under 10.6.8. I will try to update as I learn more and let you know if it is stable. I am using DVI connection have not tested the others.
In order for it to work I had to leave it at the 3rd setting in the "Expansion Slot Utility" which is 3-x8 Lane 1-x1 Lane. I have the 6670 in slot 1 the bottom most slot and under this setting that is an x8 lane. The Utility tells you that the Graphics Card is running below the x16 mark but when I tried one of the x16 settings for slot 1 the card did not appear to work and I had to VNC in to change it back.
To find the "Expansion Slot Utility" and manually launch it goto /System/Library/CoreServices/
I have also heard but not tested that these PC Graphics Cards function better under higher Mac OS's and that HDMI may even work on this card in Lion or higher.

jgrotrian

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2015
I bought this for a Linux build. I had given up trying to find a graphics card for the 2006 Mac pro. For fun I tried it out in the Mac and much to my surprise it worked. I had tried 3 other cards before and the Mac just kept restarting. I got it at best buy for $49

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 927
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.