Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the retirement of Apple's longtime public relations chief Katie Cotton having become official as of May 30, the company is now looking for her successor. according to Re/code, Tim Cook is personally overseeing the search and is seeking some external candidates who could put a "friendlier, more approachable face" on the company even as Apple has several in-house candidates who could step into the role.
[T]hough there are at least two well-qualified internal candidates for the job -- comms veterans Steve Dowling and Nat Kerris -- Apple is also looking outside the company for Cotton's replacement. Sources in position to know tell Code/red that CEO Tim Cook is overseeing the search, aiming to find some high-profile external candidates for consideration. And he's paying particular attention to those he believes could put a friendlier, more approachable face on Apple's public relations efforts.
craig_federighi_photo_op.jpg
Apple software chief Craig Federighi posed for numerous photos with WWDC attendees (Photo: @alexford)
While there have been signs that Apple has been opening up a bit under Tim Cook's watch, that evolution took a significant step forward at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference with the company making a number changes such as loosening non-disclosure restrictions on developers and making session materials available to the public.

Developers in general reported a much greater feeling of openness from Apple at the event, from the confident and friendly attitudes of Apple's executives and engineers to the developer "love letter" that was WWDC with the host of new tools for helping developers build better apps for iOS and OS X.

Article Link: Tim Cook Seeking 'Friendlier, More Approachable Face' for Apple with New PR Chief Hire

Reactions: grahamperrin

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Honestly, you couldn't get much friendlier or more approachable then Mr. Federighi, there.

atZ3AgD.gif

</mancrush>

Last edited:

jreuschl

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
How happy of a face can you put on, "We have really cool stuff coming but we can't talk about it!"

Larry-K

macrumors 68000
Jun 28, 2011
I always prefer my Giant Corporate Uberlords to not pretend to be people, even though the Supreme Court says otherwise.

djplaxe2109

macrumors 6502
Feb 4, 2013
Steve would have never have allowed this..... But now that Tim Cook is CEO, I'm glad that Apple is finally starting to get in to a groove and adopt the vision and personalities of the current executives.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Honestly, you couldn't get much friendlier or more approachable then Mr. Federighi, there. </mancrush>

Yep. And if you search Instagram, both Federighi and Ive were quite generous taking photos with lots of WWDC attendees.

WWDC2014Bash.1.jpg

4udndg.jpg

Reminds me of a tweet from a developer that John Gruber re-tweeted a couple days ago:

My 2¢: for the past few years it's felt like Apple's only goal was to put us in our place. Now it feels like they might want to be friends.

Nevaborn

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2013
Craig really does seem like the single nicest guy you could ever meet. He is a true joy to listen to and is the most passionate guy I ever hear at Apple events and talks in such an engaging and personable way.

Also love his humour, which makes a Keynote for me.

Apple really have a crack team at the top with Craig and Jony.

I would love this customer care position as I feel Apple needs a digital presence especially interacting on forums and engaging with customers to help move forward and develop no only great new technologies but also devices and services people are wanting and needing.

CoMoMacUser

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2012
You mean to say that Apple wasn't approachable in the past?

I can think of only one time in five years that Apple even responded to my interview requests. That's why I no longer request interviews for articles and research reports, even as a courtesy.

Microsoft was the same but has gotten much better in the past year or so.

Mr Fusion

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2007
Steve jobs was a tyrant that turned apple around

Why be friendly when that was successful?
Ugh... "Hey, Steve Jobs was a complete d**k and was wildly successful, so I can be too!"

Steve's success had to do with his attention to detail, his ability to surround himself with talent, his showmanship and his rejection of anything that didn't meet his high standard of quality.

Being an ***hole was Steve's way of motivating others to succeed. It's one way, but not the ONLY way and certainly not the best way.

And until someone with people skills becomes as successful as Steve, I'll have to continue hearing how being an a** is the only thing that works.

:rolleyes:

... Someone nice & successful step up? Pretty please!! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.