Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

macbook_air_mavericks_roundup_header-250x149.jpg
Apple today released MacBook Air SMC update 2.0 for mid-2013 MacBook Air models, addressing an issue that could cause excessive battery drain when the computer's lid is closed.
This update is recommended for MacBook Air (Mid 2013) models.

This update addresses an issue which may cause the battery to drain faster than expected when the lid is closed.
This is the second battery fix released for the 2013 MacBook Airs, with update 1.9 fixing a battery issue that could cause the battery to unexpectedly cease functioning.

The update can be downloaded from Apple's support site or via the Software Update tool in the Mac App Store.

Article Link: Apple Releases Battery Fix SMC Firmware Update for MacBook Air

Alphabetize

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2013
"This update is already installed on your computer"? Did this download via PowerNap? It say's it's already installed.

WillFisher

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2011
If I had a battery problem with my 12+ hours already achieved, well then I cannot complain about that "problem"

Muchos gracias Apple.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I wish they'd release the fix for my mid 2011 MBA fan, which I'd heard maybe three times total until I installed Mavericks, to stop screaming like a jet engine should I so much as breathe on it.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I had to install it twice. First time it rebooted, it never installed, even though the App Store says it was installed after that. Then it showed as needing to be installed again, and it worked that second time. Strange.

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
I downloaded the update, the computer restarted (for about two seconds, the fan came on at full speed and then equally abruptly stopped, frighteningly cool!), and while booting, some sort of command line gibberish appeared on he left side of the screen. Before I could make out anything, a kernel panic occcured, then another restart, after which the system finally booted normally.
Everything is perfect now, but this was a very strange and probably unintended setup experience.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
I had this problem!

I just reinstalled Mavericks last week… which seems to have fixed the issue. But i'll take this too, if it's going to prevent the issue from reoccurring! :):D

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
13" Only?

My 13" updated fine, but the 11" doesn't show any update available.

Has anyone with the smaller model seen the update?

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009
I felt like my battery was draining to fast with the lid closed. It was supposed to last like 30 days but later more like 5

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I have this issue with my 2012 11" MBA. Close the lid with zero programs opened and the battery drops like crazy. Hopefully something similar will come out for my model.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Strange mine says 2.12f140. I installed Yosemite on an external drive though.

I think Yosemite updated your firmware. I saw a post earlier where someone even found the SMC updates files inside the Yosemite installer.

This update took my 2013 MBA from 2.13f7 to 2.13f9.

tRAjYmZ.png

Last edited:

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
I noticed right away an improvement. A few months ago, I discussed issues with Apple support thinking it was a video issue when booting up (black screen flash quickly right before the keyboard backlight turns on and the apple logo appears). I reinstalled from scratch without a time machine backup and it improved some, but still noticed something that did not seem normal on boot up; other than that, the system seemed like it was find with no issues.

After installing the firmware update today, I noticed that the boot up was smoother like my old mac mini 2009 that has zero issues. I turned on my system and just left it on without doing anything for at least an hour and the battery percentage still says 100%, even as I type this entry for a few minutes.

"This update took my 2013 MBA from 2.13f7 to 2.13f9" - I am using Mavericks and this is what my SMC version now says too.

I believe it has fixed something, though I am not sure what.. :)
:apple:

Glad it fixed something...

Last edited:

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
I had to install it twice. First time it rebooted, it never installed, even though the App Store says it was installed after that. Then it showed as needing to be installed again, and it worked that second time. Strange.

i had to install it twice also. i have to say i have not been getting the 10+ hours of battery life that people claim. i get about 6 just browsing the web, to me thats still pretty decent compared to other laptops.

loby

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
i had to install it twice also. i have to say i have not been getting the 10+ hours of battery life that people claim. i get about 6 just browsing the web, to me thats still pretty decent compared to other laptops.

When you say, "it did not install the first time..." What happened when you or the system rebooted? Did the system boot up like normal or something else..?

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
When you say, "it did not install the first time..." What happened when you or the system rebooted? Did the system boot up like normal or something else..?

yes it did the entire install and then rebooted. when i logged on it showed that there was an update still available, when i checked it was the same update. i installed it and rebooted and everything was fine then.

bully worm

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2009
I can also attest to the "install twice" event. I restarted the first time and upon re-opening the app store, it notified me that I had to install it again. The second go around, it took a slight bit longer to install with the fans going full blast for about 1 second. After boot, it shows that I have no further updates.

My history even shows two installs:

4Z8ngmG.png

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
Have you tried a SMC reset? The SMC is responsible for, amongst other things, fan control.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

I tried that yesterday, it didn't seem to help. I just tried it again and so far everything seems OK. I'm running Activity Monitor right now to see what's making the CPU heat up. I was suspecting Chrome+Flash yesterday, so I uninstalled Flash but that didn't seem to help much either. God I have hated Flash since it was invented it feels great not to have it.

Anyway, this still never happened until Mavericks update, and started *immediately* after the update and never got better. I guess my next step is a fresh install of OS X, but I dread that. I dread that a lot.

iolinux333

macrumors 68000
Feb 9, 2014
I tried that yesterday, it didn't seem to help. I just tried it again and so far everything seems OK. I'm running Activity Monitor right now to see what's making the CPU heat up. I was suspecting Chrome+Flash yesterday, so I uninstalled Flash but that didn't seem to help much either. God I have hated Flash since it was invented it feels great not to have it.

Anyway, this still never happened until Mavericks update, and started *immediately* after the update and never got better. I guess my next step is a fresh install of OS X, but I dread that. I dread that a lot.

update:

HEY, I THINK IT WORKED!!!!

second time resetting seems to have done the trick. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

:):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.