Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
Pro Controller for me.

I have yet to figure out again how to do the quick start at the beginning of a race o_O sliding seems kinda the same like 64, but seems like I have to learn this frogging thingy after boosting. Tracks are a bit on the shorter side but looking good all around. Not a fan of this 'keyboard' map, forgot the name, but Mount Wario!!! Perfection! Rainbow road looks incredible as well but could have lasted longer too, not nearly as long as the mk64 one mind.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Oh, it's good. Very, very good.

I'm curious what controls everyone is using? Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii U Gamepad...?

Gamepad...I like having the course map and current positions in view on the gamepad screen, although why, I don't know...if I take my eyes off the course for even an instant, I run off the road...

Jovian9

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2003
Planet Zebes
Oh, it's good. Very, very good.

I'm curious what controls everyone is using? Wii Remote, Wii Classic Controller, Wii U Pro Controller, Wii U Gamepad...?

Rotating b/t the gamepad, the wiimote with the new steering wheel, and a wiimote with the old "classic" controller from the wii (the one that looks kinda like an SNES size controller. All seem to work well. I've tried them all on both modes as well.

I still haven't picked up a pro-controller. That will probably be my next purchase if Donkey Kong doesn't go on sale before I do.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005

Single player: Wii U Pro Controller
Multiplayer: relegated to Gamepad :( (I don't like the accelerate controls on that. Up on the right analogue stick works fine if you don't let go of it).

Tried a motion Wiimote and couldn't do it as well I used to on MK Wii.

----------

The pro controller is great as it is standalone and doesn't need to be wired to the Wii Remote to work. I use it to play and love it!

I love how comfy it is! I also haven't changed it in months. Thing lasts forever off a single charge.

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
I like this statement.

Wii Kart didn't really do the same for me as MK64.

Keep in mind that MK64 was the only MK game I've played prior to 8 so this should be taken with a grain of salt. Except one single race on the Wii which left me totally confused - but I wasn't really paying attention either.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
And I've noticed the shells appear to have four holes for the limbs, and a hole for the neck & head. Yes, the attention to detail is crazy; the super slo-mo on the replays is almost as much fun as playing the game itself.

My bad, when I wrote this I thought the shells had 5 holes, but after reviewing the slo-mo, they have 6 holes! 4 for the limbs, one for the neck & head, and another for the tail!

Crazy attention to detail, but I appreciate it!

Antares

macrumors 68000
I made myself a promise about not getting a console for one game but but but

Like someone else said, you should get a free game...so, you'll have two games and therefore, not be breaking the promise! Go for it, Victoria! The game is incredibly fun. The system is great. Plus, you’ll be ready for more cool games in the future. There’s no reason not to get a Wii U and you’ll be totally happy with one.

gadgetgirl85

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Like someone else said, you should get a free game...so, you'll have two games and therefore, not be breaking the promise! Go for it, Victoria! The game is incredibly fun. The system is great. Plus, you’ll be ready for more cool games in the future. There’s no reason not to get a Wii U and you’ll be totally happy with one.

Who figured out my real name lol. And decided to get one!

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I wish I could buy a Deluxe Wii U, no game pad, and a pro controller for like $250. :)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I wish I could buy a Deluxe Wii U, no game pad, and a pro controller for like $250. :)

You can in fact buy a deluxe Wii U (refurbished) on Nintendo's Store for $199, get a Pro Controller and well you have that for under $250 easy - you could even sell the GamePad for something on eBay, but you really do need one to make the console usable like using the eShop etc.

The GamePad makes the console super convenient to use and interact with even if you don't care to use it while gaming.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
You can in fact buy a deluxe Wii U (refurbished) on Nintendo's Store for $199, get a Pro Controller and well you have that for under $250 easy - you could even sell the GamePad for something on eBay, but you really do need one to make the console usable like using the eShop etc.

The GamePad makes the console super convenient to use and interact with even if you don't care to use it while gaming.

Yea I still havent pulled the trigger on a refurbished model as I am a skeptic like that and that new box smell always gets me. :D

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”

Some games as well as some Nintendo areas require use of the GamePad...

Too bad - I prefer the use of the Pro Controller (best for me out of all controllers, not counting the Atari 2600 Joystick... :eek:) on games that can use any controller.

Nintendo would've done better if they skipped the GamePad this generation all together - the system would've come in cheaper and more developers would have developed for the the Wii U.

KevinRightWing

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Houston TX
After looking all over Houston I finally found a walmart that had the pro controller. I must say that I am very impressed, it is light years better than the game pad for day to day gaming. Money very much well spent.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.