Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has been awarded a patent by the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (via AppleInsider) that details a weightlifting tracker that could pair with a watch-like device to provide live progress-tracking to users, offering a potential scenario where Apple's highly-rumored iWatch could be used.

The patent details how a transmitter could attach itself to a weightlifting bar to count repetitions in real time. The transmitter itself is described as having a number of components, including an accelerometer, processor, Hall effect sensor, and display. While some scenarios describe the sensor as showing live information all by itself, a few note that the small beacons could transfer data to devices such as a watch or phone.

lifting_patent_sensor_on_bar.jpg

A sensor (500) shown on-top of a body bar​
In one embodiment, display 512 is part of a watch (or a MP3 player or a cell phone) that may be seen when worn or used by the user when performing exercises; and measurements determined by processor are transmitted to the watch (or to the MP3 player or cell phone) for display.
In a situation where data is transferred to a watch, the patent notes that the watch's housing could include a processor to store data and inform the user of repetitions for workouts over time. This would allow the device to breakdown a user's workout with the use of multiple sensors, even giving information about the body bar or other equipment used.

Whether Apple integrates the technology described in the patent into a specific product remains to be seen. However, recent reports surrounding the iWatch have described the device as having a multitude of biometric sensors to track a number of health-related metrics, including activity levels.

Furthermore, it is likely that the iWatch will integrate with iOS 8's recently introduced Health app, which provides an easy to read dashboard of health and fitness data that can be pulled from different sources. Apple also debuted a new TV ad called "Strength" last week that focused on fitness accessories and apps.

Apple's iWatch is expected to launch later this year, with a recent report stating that the company is aiming for an October unveiling and release date.

Article Link: Apple Granted Patent for Weightlifting Tracker That Utilizes Watch-Like Device

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Thats what Im talking about!!! Bring it Apple. May or may not ever see this product come to shelves, but as a serious weightroom junkie, this shows me that Apple GETS true health tracking.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Do you even lift?

Sounds cool, but I personally prefer excercises that don't rely on me going to a gym or buying equipment (although I have a pull up bar that I can attach to a doorway... that's the only thing in my house that's exclusively used for exercise, I think).

Reactions: xtshabi

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I think more people who would use this would benefit more from a real time form feedback, not rep counter.

Suspended
Feb 1, 2014
Just like Samsung, you rushed to make a comment and made a mistake in the process. :p

On topic, seems like Apple has thought of everything fitness-wise. I wonder if they got the idea from Nike.

Hmm, maybe it was not accident ;-)

(aka, the post from Gruber the other day)

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
usually weight lifters(at least the ones willing to purchase a device to help keep track of things) doesn't need a count helper. Its burnt into my brain the way i do things in the gym i don't see a device helping with that. Now keeping track of heart rate is good for me and some sort of calorie counter but not rep count thats a little ridiculous. Especially for the addicted to weightlifting people like me.

Blakjack

macrumors 68000
Jun 23, 2009
Do you even lift?

Sounds cool, but I personally prefer excercises that don't rely on me going to a gym or buying equipment (although I have a pull up bar that I can attach to a doorway... that's the only thing in my house that's exclusively used for exercise, I think).

I assume you are asking me....Trust me I lift. weightlifting is essential to bone health. Those who just do weight free cardio or those who just lift weights and no cardio are missing the point. The body needs a well rounded fitness routine. Dont just be a bike rider. Dont just be a body builder and dont just be runner.

----------

I think more people who would use this would benefit more from a real time form feedback, not rep counter.

Definitely, but this patent shows that Apple is conscious of weightlifting and its importance to health. They have to start somewhere and this is a good start. The future is now bright.

pickaxe

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2012
While I'm certainly not in the mood for the next round of patent warfare, this is a great idea that I could absolutely see myself using.

Tracking weight lifting with an app is a huge chore.

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
One day, not so far away, we won't be able to pee without the help of an app telling us the exact the direction of the wind to make sure we're not against the wind.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
I assume you are asking me....Trust me I lift. weightlifting is essential to bone health. Those who just do weight free cardio or those who just lift weights and no cardio are missing the point. The body needs a well rounded fitness routine. Dont just be a bike rider. Dont just be a body builder and dont just be runner.

----------

Definitely, but this patent shows that Apple is conscious of weightlifting and its importance to health. They have to start somewhere and this is a good start. The future is now bright.

The calculations are key though. Any app (or brain for that matter) can keep track of reps and weight. What the unknown for me usually is, what is the calorie consumption from the weights? What do I need to replenish and grow muscle? Not everyone can live on powders and shakes, etc. so a lot of my lift time is negated because I can't properly calculate calorie expenditure during or after the workout.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

Maybe it's not that they are specially interested in weight lifting, but weight lifting is one sport where all these fitness bands don't work properly, because they only see quite little body movement and have no means to figure out that there is hard work involved.

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Just like Samsung, you rushed to make a comment and made a mistake in the process. :p

On topic, seems like Apple has thought of everything fitness-wise. I wonder if they got the idea from Nike.

IMO, probably not from Nike. Nike caters to the cardio world and their Fuelband does absolutely zero for weight lifters.

To my knowledge, no one has 'cracked the code' for proper app/device feedback and calculation for lifting weights.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Of all the potential goodness that Apple is rumored to be working on this is the one that I least care about. I still have not seen these types of devices actually help anything. For me at least, I exercise the natural way - I go outside and walk or play with friends. The body toning and cardio is collateral of my engaging with people and nature. Once inside, I prefer an ipad or an imac or an iphone to doodle about. Just my thought. I understand that for some they would actually get motivated by something like this. For them, I hope it turns out great.

fullauto

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2012
Brisbane
Fantastic stuff, make it affordable for multiple bars and/or easily detachable to minimize downtime in changing excercises / bars. Possibly magnetic?

Robstevo

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2014
So do you people think they will actually make this device ? Or is it just another patent that can be capitalised on when someone ACTUALLY invents the hard ware and not just an idea ?

Just asking lol the amount of patents you hear companies are granted but they never use them just seems a tad bit ridiculous to me.

Keniutek

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
Poland
Thats what Im talking about!!! Bring it Apple. May or may not ever see this product come to shelves, but as a serious weightroom junkie, this shows me that Apple GETS true health tracking.

A true weight junkie does NOT care about gadgets like this. Chalk and a barbell is all we need :p

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
Oh I could use the rep count part. I admit, I loose track while doing a set. And, since my brain is on overload most of the time. Being able to easily know which machine I did them on would be great - hello ibeavon....

CoreyTheGent

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2005
A true weight junkie does NOT care about gadgets like this. Chalk and a barbell is all we need :p
You're thinking too one dimensionally. Look at the bigger picture. We won't buy an iWatch to count reps, that's just one of the many functions it can perform. In combination with other features, you may find yourself using new iWatch weightlifting apps that take your workouts to a new level.

Maybe it will be good for lifting newbies. Maybe there will be apps that use the gyroscope to teach proper form for exercises. Maybe it will spur millions of people who aren't serious lifters to just incorporate more resistance training into their workout.

Last edited:

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
How about a built in IR blaster so that I can lift a cupcake into my fat ugly mouth while turning on the TV to watch Jerry Springer. I do not want to leave my couch because I'm one lazy SOB. And no; I don't want another iAccesory to do this.
More Americans do this vs. weightlifting.

cdmoore74

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
I'm all for wearable health tracker, bring it on soon Apple !!

I personally don't find the Inspector Gadget look sexy. By the time Apple is finished we're going to have gadgets for each limb, head and buttocks. And I do mean each head.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.