Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nearly six months post launch, base configurations of the new Mac Pro are now available to ship within 24 hours from Apple's online store for its North American and Asia Pacific regions. Base models in other countries are still listed at 3-5 business days, but those should also move to 24 hours soon. Custom-configured models are listed as available to ship in 1 -2 weeks in most countries.

mac-pro-24-hours.jpg
In addition to orders for shipment, base Mac Pro systems are now also available for same-day Personal Pickup in select U.S. Apple retail stores.

mac_pro_pickup.jpg
Apple's latest Mac Pro model is assembled in the U.S. at an Austin, Texas facility run by Flextronics. Tim Cook and Eddy Cue recently visited the factory, which has been receiving praise for bringing manufacturing back to the U.S. The plant is approximately a mile away from Apple's expanding Northwest Austin campus that has added more than 700 workers with the recent first expansion phase and eventually will add 3,600 employees to the previous 3,100 employee campus by the end of 2021.

Since the Mac Pro debuted at the end of 2013, Apple has been quiet on the hardware front in 2014, pushing out a small upgrade to the MacBook Air and a new 8 GB iPhone 5c for some markets. Apple is rumored to be working on a Retina MacBook Air and new iMac models, perhaps including a more affordable iMac that will address growth in foreign markets.

Article Link: Mac Pro Ship Times Improve to 24 Hours as Some Retail Stores Begin Carrying Stock

Kariya

macrumors 68000
Nov 3, 2010
7 months later...

Well probably won't be updated for another 5 yrs anyway.

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
About time! My clients have been very patient waiting for them over the past 6 months, glad to see I can finally tell them "a couple weeks" instead of "a couple months." :D

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
A year ago yesterday, this was announced. Think about that one.

Man they gotta get their factory sorted for generation 2.

And then polish it off by announcing the new Mac Pro later this year.

"Shipping times so bad, that by the time it's next-day, the new generation's ready. Can't innovate my ass!"

tommyleeh

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2010
try amazon (or other retailers)

I bought my base unit on Amazon a month ago, who had it in stock and delivered it immediately. Of course if you want anything other than a stock configuration, you'll have to go through Apple.

Buying through Amazon (or other e-tailer) will also save you tax in most places, which actually made this cheaper for me than even getting an education discount through Apple.

sportsnapper

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2011
UK
Theres a couple in Costco in Reading, UK. Slightly amazed when I walked through the store and saw the new Mac Pro sitting on display. It's not hooked up to anything though...

snapdragonx

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2012
There's been one on display at my local Apple retailer in New Zealand for a couple of months now. Go figure.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
There has been a display model at Apple store near me for many months, but I try extremely hard not to look directly at it.

I fear my subconscious is in some sort of battle to retain sanity and not buy one, while at the same time searching frantically for some reason to justify buying one. After reading this the war continues to rage on...

nep61

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2007
7 months later...

Well probably won't be updated for another 5 yrs anyway.

You're probably right, and with that in mind, I ordered a nMP Wednesday, delivery expected Monday. Looking forward to retiring my 2009, 17" MBP..... Long Media Composer renders have become annoying.
Isn't it amazing how impatient we've become. Five years ago for example that new shinny MBP I bought seemed to be lightning fast.... It's speed hasn't really diminished, just our need for bigger, better, and faster.
Monday can't arrive fast enough.... Huh, see what I mean?

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Does anybody know how many of these Apple has sold so far. Haven't seen any figures yet.

We may never hear numbers. Generally Apple rarely if ever breaks down numbers more specifically than desktops and notebooks.

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I'd been wanting to see one 'in the metal' since first announced, as the design and particularly the specs excited me.
Finally saw one in a retail store here in France. And surprisingly I was somewhat disappointed by the design and generally not too impressed. Certainly much smaller than I'd imagined.
Do I need one? No. Would I like one. You bet.
Regarding aesthetics only, I much prefer my G4 Cube, and surprised that the new Pro didn't have the same 'drop-dead' looks. One things for sure, those who want it for sheer performance power probably won't be too concerned about it's looks.
Pleased to hear that shipping times have improved, but so far not a good performance.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
You're probably right, and with that in mind, I ordered a nMP Wednesday, delivery expected Monday. Looking forward to retiring my 2009, 17" MBP..... Long Media Composer renders have become annoying.
Isn't it amazing how impatient we've become. Five years ago for example that new shinny MBP I bought seemed to be lightning fast.... It's speed hasn't really diminished, just our need for bigger, better, and faster.
Monday can't arrive fast enough.... Huh, see what I mean?

If you've updated the OS regularly, the performance probably HAS diminished. Mavericks is cool, feature-wise, but it's slower than Snow Leopard, to a very large degree.

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
This is by far Apple's worst new product rollout. Announced exactly ONE YEAR AGO and for sale HALF A YEAR AGO....and still the stock configurations are not yet available in most Apple Stores. Worse, Apple has removed the "Available for Pickup" data from the online order form (as shown in this article...it WAS there a couple days ago but not anymore). What is going on with this product?

:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.