Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

One of the major iOS 8 announcements at last week's Worldwide Developers Conference was support for systemwide third-party keyboards, and a number of prominent keyboard developers have announced their intention to support iOS. Fleksy was the first to share a photo of its keyboard running on iOS 8, and today TouchPal has posted a video of its keyboard in action.

TouchPal's video shows its keyboard supporting gesture/sliding input similar to Swype, as demoed in the stock Messages app on iOS 8. TouchPal also supports autocorrect and predictive word suggestions, although these are not shown in the demo.

While iOS 8's public release is still several months away, it's clear that keyboard developers, many of whom including Swype, Adaptxt and SwiftKey have honed their offerings on Android, are moving quickly to support iOS.

Several major keyboard developers have already been working with iOS, as seen with the SwiftKey Note app with Evernote integration and Fleksy's developer tools that allow developers to add support for the firm's predictive keyboard on an app-by-app basis. As a result, we expect quite a few third-party options ready for the iOS 8 launch.

Article Link: TouchPal Demos Gesture Keyboard with Sliding Input for iOS 8

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I'm really hoping my DadaistBoard finds a place of prominence on the App Store…

cGIble6.gif

Last edited:

Chatter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Uphill from Downtown
I miss Swype from my Android and am really looking forward to iOS8 and all this goodness. I want to try the different keyboards...much easier to text one handed versus stock.

Limboistik

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2011
Honestly I feel like these swiping keyboards are more confusing than useful, or fast.

Personally I'd rather use the predictive ones.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
Multi keys (numbers on the top qwerty row) and swype style thingymabob are two things I love about android and can't wait for it on iOS. Add to that the extensibility and were almost there! I might come back to iOS if they sort out the home screen...or lack thereof.

My favourite thing about android is the app drawer, with all my apps in alphabetical order. And a single home screen with a few of my favourite apps on, with a nice picture. Simplicity.

So yeah, can't wait for custom keyboards.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
So I guess there's a rush on amongst app vendors to try and be the biggest name in keyboards come iOS 8.

But is this really something that most people want or care about? I think with the improvements in iOS 8's keyboard, 99% of users won't care enough to ever install an alternative - especially one they have to pay for.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Nice of Apple to offer third party keyboards and I wonder what will happen next. Sandboxing hasn't won then fans.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006
Do we know how these are being implemented yet? Will we have to download an app that will show up as an icon on the homepage or will there be a new Extensions section in the app store?

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
Do we know how these are being implemented yet? Will we have to download an app that will show up as an icon on the homepage or will there be a new Extensions section in the app store?

iOS 8 Extensions, including keyboard extensions, require a container app. They'll show up on the app store just like any other app.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Developers make more money on iOS than Android. It's no wonder that they're tripping over themselves to make these new apps available. iOS 8 is pretty much win all around. Developers are more optimistic than ever for the future of this platform. Makes me wonder what we'll see this time next year?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Umm. doesn't any company have a patent on that swipe-type interface? So we'll see 100 keyboards with the same functionality? I keep seeing those blue lines in many apps. Didn't one company have the foresight to patent that? Or are they all just licensing it? I'm fine with the standard keyboard, but choice is good.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
After all this hullabaloo, I'm going to be keyBORED.

----------

Yes.

Bonsai1214

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Penfield, NY
the appeal of swipe style keyboards is that you can type without looking at the phone and with one hand only (supposedly). i personally don't care though. i'm a wizard with the default one.. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.